« ForrigeFortsett »
SPANISH AND MEXICAN LAW,
IK RELATION TO
MINES, AND TITLES TO REAL ESTATE,
IN FORCE IN
CALIFORNIA, TEXAS AND NEW MEXICO;
AND IK THE TERRITORIES ACQUIRED UNDER THE LOUISIANA AND FLORIDA
CONTAINING A TRANSLATION OF THE MINING ORDINANC^ OF NEW 8PAIN— O AMBOA'S MIN-
"NOVISLMA RECOPLLACION," AND THE "RECOPLUCION LE US INDIAS;"
AND IN THE DECREES OF THE CORTES OF SPAIN AND OF FERDINAND VII.,
ALSO, EXTRACTS FROM PUBLIC DOCUMENTS, AND FROM THE LAWS OF CALIFOR-
A DIGEST OF THE COMMON LAW, ON THE SUBJECT OF
MINES AND MINING.
BY JOHN A. ROCKWELL,
COUNSELLOR -AT LAW.
Entered, according to the Act of Congress, in the Year Eighteen Hundred and Fifty-One,
Preface. ..... Page 7
9. Of persons lo preside over and regulate the general meetings of electors 30
28. Of the oath to be taken by persons filling the offices of the Tribunal . ib.
2. Who to be enrolled as Miners . .34
8. Of the election of deputies . . . . ib.
4. Votes of Miners thus enrolled . . . . ib.
5. Of choosing the electors in some places . . . ib.
6. Of administrators voting for their principals . . .35
7. Who to preside at and regulate such elections . . . ib.
8. Territorial deputations—number of deputies composing them—mode of
their appointment . . . . ib.
9. Of the substitutes for the territorial deputies . . . ib.
10. Of recorders (procuradores sindicos) . . .36
11. Of the obligation to discharge the office of deputy . . ib.
12. Of re-election to such offices . . . . ib.
13. Of the powers conferred on the deputies by the electors; of the oaths
to be taken by both parties . . . . ib.
14. Of the account of the election to be transmitted to the Tribunal . ib.
15. Of the mode of paying the territorial deputies, inspectors, and survey
ors of Mines . . . .37
16. Of the report of the deputations upon the condition of the Mines, to
be addressed to the Tribunal . . fli.
Of Juritdiction in Mining Causes.
1. Administrative jurisdiction of the Tribunal General . 37
2. The Tribunal General to take cognizance of causes relating to Mines,
within twenty-five leagues of Mexico . . .38
3. Administrative jurisdiction of the territorial deputations . ib.
4. The territorial deputations to proceed in causes relating to Mines, indepen
dently of the Tribunal General . . . ib.
5. When proceedings to be had verbally . . .39
6. Of summary judgments in causes in the first instance, and also in ap
peals . . . . ib.
7. Of appeals; in what cases admissible . . . ib.
8. Of signing decrees and judgments . . .40
9. When the Territorial Deputies may act separately, and what to be done
in causes where they disagree . . . ib.
10. Of references to lawyers . . . ib.
11. Of reports of the proceedings in causes . . . ib.
12. Of the execution of the sentences of the Tribunal, and of the Deputa
tions ... .41
13. Of appeals, and the persons who are to compose the Courts of Appeal ib.
14. Of proceedings therein . . . .42
15. Of the time for entering appeals, and the mode of so doing . . ib.
16. When the sentences of Appeal Courts to be final . ib.
17. Appeals from the first sentences of the Appeal Courts—by whom to be
tried . . . . . ib.
18. Of the application to the King, in his Council of the Indies . 43
19. Sentence in appeal causes, by what votes to be regulated; by whom signed ib.
20. Of causes relating to possession and property . . ib.
21. When an interventor to bo appointed; and when the working of a Mine
to be suspended . . . . ib.
22. Of executive demands . . .44
23. Of executions in Mines or reducing establishments . . ib. 4. Of Mines given up under an execution, when liable to denouncement. ib.