« ForrigeFortsett »
W. & A. K. JOHNSTON,
21. Austria-Hungary, East.
22. Turkey in Europe. Insets-The Bosporus, Crete or Candia.
23. Greece. Insets-Athens, The Cyclades, Corfu.
24. Sweden and Norway. Insets-Christiania, Stockholm.
25. Baltic Sea. Insets-St. Petersburg and its Environs, Kiel, Stettin, and Danzig.
26. Russia, in Europe. Inset Moscow, Kronstadt, and approaches to St. Petersburg.
27. Russia, S. W. Inset-Odessa.
32. Persia, Afghanistan, and Baluchistan.
33. India, N. Inset-Calcutta.
34. India, S. Insets--Madras, Bombay, South-East Provinces of India.
35. China and Japan. Insets-Pekin and Tokio, Islands of Japan.
36. Oceania. Insets
Western Australia, Tasmania, Viti or Fiji Islands,
Eastern Extremity of New Guinea.
37. Australia. Insets-Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, and Melbourne. 38. Australia South, New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland. Insets-Cape York Peninsula.
39. New Zealand. Insets-New Guinea, Dunedin, Wellington, Auckland. 40. Africa.
41. Africa, S. Insets-The Cape, Capetown, and Durban.
42. Africa, N.W. and Central.
43. Egypt. Insets- Cairo, Alexandria, and Suez Canal.
44. Abyssinia, with Upper Nubia.
45. North America.
46. Canada, West.
47. Canada, Central. Insets-Quebec, Montreal, Niagara. 48. Canada, East.
49. United States, N.E. 50. United States, S. E. 51. United States, N.W. 52. United States, S.W. Francisco.
54. West India Islands.
55. South America, N. 56. South America, S.
Insets-New York and Washington.
Insets Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, and San
Insets-Panama Canal, Nicaragua Canal.
Each Plate may be had separately, with its Index, price 3s.; or, mounted on
When single copies of the Royal Atlas are sent to the country a charge of Is. is made for Bale Frames.
REVIEWS OF PREVIOUS EDITION.
"Dr Keith Johnston's Royal Atlas,' ever since its publication in 1861, has maintained its ground as the best English Atlas on a large scale extant. Of the new maps added to the Atlas we can speak in unqualified praise. The maps of the western half of the Dominion of Canada and of Mexico, by Mr T. B. Johnston, are creditable specimens of cartography, and need not fear comparison with any work produced elsewhere. Each map is provided with a separate index, and altogether the Atlas is one deserving the support and confidence of the public."-The Athenæum.
"Messrs W. & A. K. Johnston have just issued a new edition of this well-known Atlas, which in certain respects still retains a first-class place among English atlases. The Atlas is mainly valuable for its wealth of topographical information, and in this respect it is unsurpassed in this country."-The Times.
NOTE.-A copy of the "Royal" or "Handy Royal Atlas" will be sent on approval for one week, provided, that if returned, the carriage is paid, and the Atlas received back in good condition.
Arranged by Price.
EDINBURGH AND LONDON.
Handy Royal Atlas of Modern
Dedicated by Special Permission to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales.
Imperial 4to (15 by 11 inches, Maps 22 × 15 inches), half-bound morocco, with gilt titles and edges, price £2, 12s. 6d.
Full-bound russia or morocco, extra gilt, with gilt edges, price £5, 58. (to order).
A Uniform Series of Accurate Maps, accompanied by a Complete Index of upwards of 59,000 Places contained in the Atlas, and referred to by Initial Letters.
When a single copy of the Handy Royal Atlas is sent to the country a charge of
9d. is made for Bale Frames.
"The maps throughout contain all the places that most people are likely to enquire for; and those who desire an atlas of moderate size and moderate price may safely place their confidence in the Handy Royal.'"-The Times.
"The printing and general appointment of the atlas cannot be too highly praised. It is a handsome as well as a useful work, and will sensibly enrich any library to which it is added."-The Scotsman.
W. & A. K. JOHNSTON,
The Victoria Regina Atlas.
Royal Quarto-12 by 10 inches. Maps same size.
Containing 200 Coloured Plates, Political, Physical, and Astronomical. Frontispieces illustrating the time of all Nations, Arms of Great Britain and her Colonies, National Arms, the Flags of all Nations, and complete Index to 94,250 places named.
PRICES-Half-bound Persian Morocco, Gilt Top, £1, 18. Full-bound French Morocco, Gilt Edges, £1, 88. Full-bound Morocco, Extra Gilt, Gilt Edges, £2, 58.
THE VICTORIA REGINA ATLAS is issued in commemoration of the 60th year of Her Majesty's Reign. Messrs JOHNSTON made special application to Her Majesty to give her sanction to their dedicating the Atlas to her. A reply was received from Lieut. Col. Sir ARTHUR JOHN BIGGE, K.C.B., to the effect that the Queen accepted the dedication.
The preparation of the First Edition of this Atlas has been a most laborious task, when it is said that the Index contains 94,250 names, one has some idea of the amount of information on the Maps. The latest Geographical changes and discoveries are given effect to. The Maps are printed in colours with the greatest accuracy, and the Publishers feel sure that the whole get-up of the work will be approved of by the public generally.
Modern Atlas of the Counties of
Imperial 8vo (7) by 11 inches, Maps 15 by 11 inches), price, full-bound cloth, 12s. 6d. ; half-bound morocco, 178. 6d.
WITH COMPLETE INDEX.
This Atlas contains 58 Full-coloured Maps on the scale of 7 miles to the inch, and shows in each county all points of any importance, viz.-all Towns and most of the Villages, Railways (with Stations marked), Roads, Canals, Estates, and Antiquities. The fact of all the Maps being drawn on the same scale makes the Atlas especially valuable, as it gives one a correct idea of the comparative size of counties, and the distance of one town from another.
When more than one County is given on a Plate, these are bracketed together.