guard, and pointed it out among the other bodies, at the same time pronouncing, in accents of grief, a glowing eulogium on Montgomery's bravery and worth. Besides that of the General, the bodies of his two Aides-de-Camp were recognized among the slain. The defeat of Montgomery's force was complete. Colonel Campbell, his second in command, immediately relinquished the undertaking, and led back his men with the utmost precipitation.

The exact spot where the barrier was erected be. fore which Montgomery fell, may be described as crossing the narrow road under the mountain, immediately opposite to the west end of a building which stands on the south, and was formerly occupied by Mr. Racey as a brewery. It is now numbered 58. At the time of the siege this was called the Potash. The battery extended to the south, and nearly to the

An inscription commemorating the event might properly be placed upon the opposite rock.

Soon after the repulse of the enemy before the post at Près-de-Ville, information was given to the officer in command there, that Arnold's party, from the General Hospital, advancing along the St. Charles, had captured the barrier at the Sault-au-Matelot, and that he intended an attack upon that of Prèsde-Ville, by taking it in the rear.

Immediate preparations were made for the defence of the Post against such an attack, by turning some of the guns of an inner barrier, not far from the Custom House, towards the town; and although the intelligence proved false,— Arnold having been wounded and his division captured,-yet the incident deserves to be commemorated as affording a satisfactory contradiction to some accounts which have appeared in print, representing the Guard at Près-de-Ville as having


been paralysed by fear,--the post and barrier “deserted,”—and the fire which killed Montgomery merely “accidental.” On the contrary, the circumstances which we have related, being authentic, prove that the conduct of the Pres-de-Ville Guard was firm and collected in the hour of danger ; and that by their coolness and steadiness they mainly contributed to the safety of the city. Both Colonel Maclean and General Carleton rendered every justice to their meritorious behaviour on the occasion.

In the meantime, the attack by Arnold, on the north eastern side of the Lower Town, was made with desperate resolution. It was, fortunately, equally unsuccessful, although the contest was more protracted; and at one time the city was in no small danger. Arnold led his men by files along the River St. Charles, until he came to the Sault-au-Matelot, where there was a barrier with two guns mounted. It must be understood that St. Paul's Street did not then exist, the tide coming up nearly to the base of the rock, and the only path between the rock and the beach was the narrow alley which now exists in rear of St. Paul Street under the precipice itself. Here the curious visitor will find a jutting rock, where was the first barrier. The whole of the street went by the name of the Sault-au-Matelot from the most ancient times. Arnold took the command of the forlorn hope, and was leading the attack upon this barrier, when he received a musket wound in the knee which disabled him, and he was carried back to the General Hospital. His troops, however, persevered, and having soon made themselves masters of the barrier, pressed on through the narrow street to the attack of the second, near the eastern extremity of Sault-au-Matelot Street. This was a

battery which protected the ends of the two streets called St. Peter Street and Sault-au-Matelot, extending, by means of hangards mounted with cannon, from the rock to the river. The Montreal Bank, then a private house, liad cannon projecting from the end windows, as had a house at the end of Saultau-Matelot Street. The enemy took shelter in the houses on each side, and in the narrow pass leading round the base of the cliff towards Hope-Gate, where they were secured by the angle of the rock from the fire of the guns at the barrier.

Here the enemy met with a determined resistance, which it was impossible to overcome ; and General Carleton having ordered a sortie from Palace-Gate under Captain Laws, in order to take them in the rear--and their rear guard, under Captain Dearborn, having already surrendered - the division of Arnold demanded quarter, and were brought prisoners to the Upper Town. The officers were confined in the Seminary. The contest continued for upwards of two hours, and the bravery of the assailants was indisputable. Through the freezing cold, and the pelting of the storm, they maintained the attack until all hope of success was lost, when they surrendered to a generous enemy, who treated the wounded and prisoners with humanity.

The Americans lost in the attack about one hundred killed and wounded, and six officers of Arnold's party, exclusive of the loss at Près-de-Ville. The British lost one officer, Lieutenant Anderson of of the

Royal Navy, and seventeen killed and wounded. The following is a statement of the force which surrendered :

1 Lieutenant Colonel,
2 Majors,
8 Captains,
15 Lieutenants,

Not wounded.
1 Quarter-Master,

4 Volunteers,
350 Rank and file,
44 Officers and soldiers, wounded.

426 Total surrendered.

By the death of Montgomery the command devolved upon Arnold, who had received the rank of Brigadier General. In a letter dated, 14th January, 1776, he complains of the great difficulty he had in keeping his remaining troops together, so disheartened were they by their disasters on the 31st December. The siege now resumed its former character of a blockade, without any event of importance, until the month of March, when the enemy received reinforcements that encreased their numbers to near two thousand men. In the beginning of April, Arnold took the command at Montreal, and was relieved before Quebec by Brigadier General Wooster. The blockading army, which had all the winter remained at three miles distance from the city, now approached nearer the ramparts, and re-opened their fire

upon the fortifications, with no better success than before. In the night of the 3rd May, they made an unsuccessful attempt to destroy the ships of war and vessels laid up in the Cul-de-Sac, by sending in a fire ship, with the intention of profiting by the confusion, and of making another attack upon the works by escalade. At this time they had reason to expect that considerable reinforcements, which they had no means of preventing from reaching the garrison,

would shortly arrive from England ; and giving up all hope of success, they became impatient to return to their own country. A Council of War was called, on the 5th, by General Thomas, who had succeeded Wooster ; and it was determined to raise the siege at once, and to retire to Montreal. They immediately began their preparations, and in the course of the next forenoon broke


camp, and commenced a precipitate retreat.

In the mean time the gallant Carleton and his intrepid garrison were rejoiced by the arrival, early in the morning of the 6th May, of the Surprize Frigate, Captain Linzee, followed soon after by the Isis, of fifty guns, and Martin Sloop of war, with a reinforcement of troops and supplies. Nothing could exceed the delight of the British at this seasonable relief. After the toil and privation of a six months siege, it may be imagined with what feelings the inhabitants beheld the Frigate rounding Pointe Lévi, and how sincerely they welcomed her arrival in the basin. The Isis was commanded by Captain, afterwards Admiral Sir Charles Douglas, Baronet, father of Major General Sir Howard Douglas, the late popular Lieutenant Governor of New-Brunswick. Captain Douglas had made uncommon exertions to force his ship through fields of ice,-having by skilful management and a press of sail carried her for the space of fifty leagues, through obstacles which would have deterred an officer less animated by the zeal which the critical service on which he was employed required. The troops on board the vessels, consisting of two companies of the 29th Regiment, with a party of marines, amounting in all to two hundred men, were immediately landed, under the command of Captain Viscount Petersham, afterwards General the

« ForrigeFortsett »