« ForrigeFortsett »
NEW AND CHEAPER EDITIONS.
NIMMO'S ELEGANT GIFT BOOKS.
Small 4to, beautifully printed on superior paper, handsomely bound in cloth extra, bevelled boards, gilt edges, price 6s. each.
ROSES AND HOLLY:
A Gift Book for all the Bear. With Original Ellustrations by eminent Artists.
GEMS OF LITERATURE:
THE BOOK OF ELEGANT EXTRACTS.
Profusely Ellustrated by the most eminent Artists.
THE GOLDEN GIFT.
Profusely Ellustrated with Original Engravings on Wood by eminent Artists.
THE POETICAL WORKS OF EDGAR ALLAN POE.
With Twenty-Eight Original Illustrations by eminent Artists, and a New Memoir.
THE LITERARY BOUQUET:
GATHERED FROM FAVOURITE AUTHORS.
Profusely Illustrated by eminent Artists.
THE TREASURY OF LITERATURE
A SELECTION FROM THE BEST WRITERS.
THE GARLAND OF POETRY AND
BY CELEBRATED AUTHORS.
With numerous Engravings by eminent Artists.
THE CABINET OF GEMS.
GATHERED FROM CELEBRATED AUTHORS.
NIMMO'S SELECT LIBRARY.
New Series of Choice Books, beautifully printed on superfine paper, profusely Illustrated with original Engravings by the first Artists, and elegantly bound in cloth extra, plain edges, price 3s. 6d. each, or richly bound in cloth and gold, and gilt edges, price 5s. each.
I. ALMOST FAULTLESS: A Story | 5. DRIFTED AND SIFTED: A of the Present Day. By the Author Domestic Chronicle of the Seventeenth Century.
of 'A Book for Governesses.'
2. LIVES OF OLD ENGLISH WOR- 6. WARRIOR, PRIEST, AND THIES before the Conquest. W. H. DAVENPORT ADAMS.
3. EVERY-DAY OBJECTS; or Pic
STATESMAN; or, English Heroes in the Thirteenth Century. By W. H. DAVENPORT ADAMS.
turesque Aspects of Natural His- 7. TOTTY TESTUDO. The Life and
tory. By W. H. DAVENPORT
4. MY SCHOOLBOY FRIENDS: A
Wonderful Adventures of TOTTY
Story of Whitminster Grammar 8. ON HOLY GROUND; or, Scenes
Crown Svo, beautifully printed on superfine paper, profusely Illustrated by eminent Artists, in cloth extra, plain edges, price 3s. 6d. cach, or richly bound in cloth and gold, and gilt edges, price 5s, each.
1. SWORD AND PEN; or English 4. THE WEALTH OF NATURE : Worthies in the Reign of Elizabeth. By W. H. DAVENPORT ADAMS.
2. NORRIE SETON; or, Driven to Sea. By Mrs. GEORGE CUPPLES, Author of 'Unexpected Pleasures,' etc.
3. THE CIRCLE OF THE YEAR; or, Studies of Nature and Pictures of the Seasons. By W. H. DAVENPORT ADAMS.
Our Food Supplies from the
5. STORIES OF SCHOOL LIFE. By ASCOTT R. HOPE.
6. STORIES OF FRENCH SCHOOL LIFE. By ASCOTT R. Hope,
NIMMO'S UNIVERSAL GIFT BOOKS.
A Series of excellent Works, profusely Illustrated with original Engravings by the first Artists, choicely printed on superfine paper, and elegantly bound in cloth and gold, and gilt edges, crown 8vo, price 3s. 6d. each.
1. Tales of Old English Life; or, Pictures
of the Periods. By WILLIAM FRANCIS COLLIER, LL.D., Author of "History of English Literature,' etc.
2. Mungo Park's Life and Travels. With a Supplementary Chapter, detailing the results of recent Discovery in Africa.
3. Benjamin Franklin: A Biography.
From the celebrated 'Life' by JARED SPARKS, and the more recent and extensive 'Life and Times' by JAMES PARTON.
4. Wallace, the Hero of Scotland: A Biography. By JAMES PATERSON.
5. Men of History. By Eminent Writers.
The object of the Editor in preparing this book for the public is a twofold one: first, to exhibit views of the world's great men; and, second, to present these views in the best words of the best authors.
6. Women of History. By Eminent Writers.
This volume is a further development of the idea which suggested the companion volume, 'Men of History.'
7. Old-World Worthies; or, Classical Biography, selected from PLUTARCH'S LIVES.
8. Epoch Men, and the Results of their
Lives. By SAMUEL NEIL.
9. The Mirror of Character. Selected from the Writings of Overbury, Earle, and BUTLER.
10. The Improvement of the Mind. By
ISAAC WATTS, D.D.
II. The Man of Business considered in Six Aspects. A Book for Young Men.
This elegant and useful Series of Books has been specially prepared for School and College Prizes: they are, however, equally suitable for General Presentation. In selecting the works for this Series, the aim of the Publisher has been to produce books of a permanent value, interesting in manner and instructive in matter-books that youth will read eagerly and with profit, and which will be found equally attractive in after-life.
All the Year Round Gift Books.
A series of entertaining and instructive volumes, profusely Illustrated with original Engravings by the first Artists, choicely printed on superfine paper, and elegantly bound in cloth and gold, and gilt edges, crown 8vo, price 3s. 6d. each.
1. Round the Grange Farm; or, Good Old Times. By JEAN L. WATSON, Author of 'Bygone Days in our Village,' etc. 2. Stories about Boys. By Ascott R. Hope, Author
of Stories of School Life,' 'My Schoolboy Friends,' etc. etc.
3. George's Enemies: A Sequel to My Schoolboy
Friends.' By Ascott R. HOPE, Author of 'Stories about Boys,' etc.
The Spanish Inquisition: Its Heroes and Martyrs.
By JANET GORDON, Author of 'Champions of the Reformation,' etc. 5. Wild Animals and Birds: Curious and Instructive
Stories about their Habits and Sagacity. With numerous Illustrations by WOLF, the eminent Artist.
6. Rupert Rochester, the Banker's Son. A Tale. By
WINIFRED TAYLOR, Author of 'Story of Two Lives,' etc.
7. The Young Mountaineer; or, Frank Miller's Lot
in Life. The Story of a Swiss Boy. By DARYL HOLME.
8. The Story of a Noble Life; or, Zurich and its
Reformer ULRIC ZWINGLE. By Mrs. HARDY (JANET GORDON),
9. Stories of Whitminster. By Ascott R. Hope,
Author of 'My Schoolboy Friends,' etc.
10. The Pampas: A Story of Adventure in the Argentine Republic. By A. R. HOPE, Author of Stories of Whitminster,' etc. Illustrated by PHIZ, junior.
11. The Tower on the Tor. By Richard Rowe, Author of Episodes in an Obscure Life,' 'The Boys of Axleford,' 'Jack Afloat and Ashore,' etc.
The object steadily kept in view in preparing the above series has been to give a collection of works of a thoroughly healthy moral tone, agreeably blending entertainment and instruction. It is believed this end has been attained, and that the several volumes will be found eminently suitable as Gift Books and School Prizes, besides proving of permanent value in the Home Library.
YOUNG LADIES' LIBRARY.
A series of entertaining and instructive volumes, written with a high purpose, and of a good moral tone, profusely Illustrated with original Engravings by the first Artists, choicely printed on superfine paper, and elegantly bound in cloth and gold, and gilt edges, crown 8vo, price 3s. 6d. each.
1. Violet Rivers; or, Loyal to Duty. A Tale for
Girls. By WINIFRED TAYLOR, Author of Story of Two Lives,' etc.
2. Christian Osborne's Friends. By Mrs. Harriet MILLER DAVIDSON, Author of Isobel Jardine's History,' and Daughter of the late Hugh Miller.
The Twins of Saint-Marcel: A Tale of Paris
4. The Story of Two Lives; or, The Trials of
Wealth and Poverty. By WINIFRED TAYLOR, Author of 'Rupert
5. The Lost Father; or, Cecilia's Triumph. A Story
of our own Day. By DARYL HOLME.
6. Friendly Fairies; or, Once upon a Time.
7. Wisdom, Wit, and Allegory.
8. Stories from Over the Sea. With Illustrations.
9. Heroes of Ancient Greece: A Story of the Days of
Socrates the Athenian. By ELLEN PALMER, Author of 'The Fishermen of Galilee,' 'The Standard Bearer,' etc.
10. The Farm on the Fjord. A Tale of Life in
Norway. By CATHERINE RAY.