Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 86
ignorant of the arrival on 23 July of the Norwegian vessel Laura just 15 miles
farther south; it sailed away again when there was no sign of them. This they
discovered in the fall when they moved south to winter at Bass Rock in the huts
built in ...
By 10 July, Phipps had come to the view that the pack formed "one compact
impenetrable body" (Phipps 1 775, 43). He now decided to try farther east, but
before doing so he spent several days in preparations and making scientific ...
Eventually, Cape Crozier was reached on 1 5 July. There, they built a stone igloo
roofed by a canvas sheet on a knoll 240 meters above the penguin colony, some
4 miles away. Reaching the colony in the darkness across a zone of pressure ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
67 andre deler vises ikke