Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 88
In the middle of the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-1748), the British
Admiralty had no vessels to make available to Dobbs, who instead persuaded
Parliament to appoint a committee in 1745 to look into the prospects of finding the
The majority of the terms listed below concern types of vessels or different forms
of ice. A few common abbreviations or acronyms are also included. Antarctic
Convergence. A circular belt within the Southern Ocean where the cold Antarctic
Vessels equipped with specially strengthened hulls and other features enabling
them to cut paths through pack ice too thick for unmodified ships to penetrate.
International Polar Year (IPY). To date, there have been two such International ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
67 andre deler vises ikke