Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 87
... Labrador coast 1606 Godske Lindenow West Greenland 1607 Henry Hudson
East Greenland and Spitsbergen 1607 Carsten Richardson Unsuccessful attempt
to reach East Greenland 1608 Henry Hudson Barents Sea and Novaya Zemlya, ...
Foster, Henry 231 Finland's involvement in Antarctic affairs began on 5 May 1984
with ratification of the Antarctic Treaty, and consultative status was achieved on 9
October 1989. Coordinated by the Finnish Institute of Marine Research, ...
310 Hudson, Henry Hudson himself believed that he had reached the Pacific
Ocean, not an inland sea. In consequence, early-seventeenth- century maps use
the name "Button's Bay" in honor of Thomas Button's discovery of the west coast
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
67 andre deler vises ikke