Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 55
We have no access to Hudson's reasoning, but we do know the reaction of the
crew through the journal of Abacuk Prickett. ... Because Hudson and Button had
both sailed along the southern side of Hudson Strait, Bylot chose a more
Merchants clubbed together to form the Northwest Company, and three
expeditions in succession were organized through Hudson Strait, beginning with
Button and ending with Robert Bylot in 1 6 1 5. With William Gibbons unable to
314 Hudson Strait but once this task was accomplished, a party led by Greene
and William Wilson landed on an island to seek food from the Inuit.
Misunderstanding their purpose, the Inuit set on them, and Greene, Wilson, and
two others were ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
67 andre deler vises ikke