Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 82
Entries Listed in Chronological Order xv Claimed first landing on the Antarctic
continent Northwest Greenland First crossing of the Arctic Ocean Attempt to reach
the North Pole from Svalbard Franz Josef Land, Russian Arctic Attempted balloon
... Vivian Fuchs First crossing of Antarctica 1956-1957 Operation Deep Freeze
U.S. stations South Pole, Byrd, Ellsworth, and Wilkes established 1956-1958
Edmund Hillary First to the South Pole in motor vehicles 1957-1958 Finn Ronne ...
To the Americans, it seemed that the Norwegians were bent on ensuring that
their man got a chance at the Pole first, but they were circumvented by the
resourceful Byrd, who fashioned a raft out of the ships boats on which Josephine
Ford was ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
67 andre deler vises ikke