Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 85
Entries Listed in Chronological Order xvii Geological expeditions to East
Greenland Edge Island, Svalbard Arctic Ocean First Norvegia expedition to
Bouvet Island, Southern Ocean Exploration of the Arctic Ocean by airship Relief
expedition to ...
28 Antarctic Peninsula, East Coast the mainland rather than on an offshore island
. The Davis Coast, between Cape Kjellman and Cape Herschel, is named in his
honor. There are no reports of fur seals ever having been found by sealers on ...
274 Greenland, Inland Ice of its location on the east coast. Although several
vessels came within sight of the coast, none was able to land (see Richardson,
Carsten). The earliest sightings that can be clearly identified with particular
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
67 andre deler vises ikke