Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 63
The first detailed plans for a balloon expedition to the North Pole were put
forward in 1 872 by the well-known French balloonist M. Sivel to the French
Society of Aerial Navigation. Sivel proposed that he and several scientific
Wilkins, by now thoroughly disillusioned with all Cope s plans, said simply that he
would leave. Rather to the surprise of the others, the two junior members
Bagshawe and Lester asserted their desire to stay. They would remain to look
after the ...
This did not prevent him planning to base his Canadian Arctic Expedition here, if
he was unable to get farther north in 1913. As it turned out, Karluk became beset
farther west before being wrecked off Herald Island in the Chukchi Sea. Before ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
67 andre deler vises ikke