Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 88
The polar pack occupies the central body of the Arctic Ocean throughout the year,
contracting somewhat during the summer, when it is especially broken up toward
the edges into ice floes separated by leads. Winds, currents, and tides cause ...
264 Glen, Sandy Brandy Bay and one for each of the ice-cap stations. By the time
Polar ... Despite injuring his back quite badly while investigating the sea ice, after
a short lay-up Glen was fit enough to set out on 1 2 May 1936. Much of North ...
Sannikov confirmed this sighting the next day, which motivated Hedenstrom to
set out across the sea ice in the hope of reaching it. Atmospheric conditions in the
high latitudes can be particularly misleading. Mirages resulting from temperature
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
Entries Listed in Chronological Order
Peary Robert 18561920 510
Petermann Island Antarctic Peninsula 522
67 andre deler vises ikke