« ForrigeFortsett »
originated, what is the rule? house?
What if approved by two-thirds of that
180. How might the President prevent or delay the passage of a bill? What is the provision to avoid such a contingency?
181. When does an act of Congress go into effect? What is the exception? Repeat the commencement of an act of Congress.
Repeat clause 3.
184. WHAT are concurrent powers? Exclusive powers? Repeat clause 1.
186. To how many purposes is the power of Congress to lay taxes limited? What are they?
187. How are duties charged? To what are they chiefly confined? Why are taxes laid upon exported articles? What is the meaning of impost? What are excises?
189. Are duties, imposts, and excises different in the several States? Are taxes uniform throughout the States? What is a capitation or poll-tax?
190. What two rules govern Congress in imposing taxes? How are capitation and other direct taxes laid? How are duties, imposts, excises, and indirect taxes generally laid?
191. Illustrate the difference between the operation of a direct tax laid according to the first rule, and an indirect tax according to the second rule.
194. How far does the power of Congress to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises extend? Where is Congress not bound to extend a direct tax? Why are they held subject to taxation?
195. What are generally considered direct taxes? 196. Of how many kinds are duties on imposts? specific duty? What is an ad valorem duty?
Name them. What is a
197. On what are duties laid? What is meant by tonnage?
198. Do vessels of the United States pay duty when entering the ports of the United States? In what cases are tonnage duties on foreign vessels abolished?
199. Can the States lay imposts or duties on exports or imports? What are inspection laws? Can the States lay duties on tonnage?
200. Who pays the duties charged upon imports or exports? What is the law if the imported goods are not to be used in the United States? What is this allowance called? What is debenture?
201. What is a tariff?
202. What is a bonded warehouse?
203. Where the acts of Congress impose an ad valorem rate of duty, how is true value of the goods ascertained upon which the duties are assessed?
204. Who are the detectors of frauds in invoices?
205. What is an invoice? How must invoices of imported goods be verified? Who is the consignor? Who the consignee ?
206. Who are the appraisers? What are their duties?
207. What is done when goods are not invoiced to their true value through ignorance? What when fraud is suspected?
208. What is a manifest? What is required in the manifests of vessels belonging in whole or part to citizens of the United States?
209. Under what direction are the charges upon goods, &c. imported or exported collected? For this purpose how are the States divided? What is established in each collection district?
210. What does the collector receive? What is meant by the entry of goods?
211. What are the duties of the collector?
What is the law with regard to
the unloading and delivery of goods? Where is the official business of the collector transacted?
213. What other officers are appointed in some of the more important ports? What are the duties of the naval officer?
214. Who appoints the naval officer? What officer is he a check upon? What entries are continued in the naval office?
215. What are the duties of the surveyor? By whom is he appointed?
216. What are the duties of the officers of the ports if they suspect goods subject to duty to be concealed in a vessel? If concealed in any store or building?
217. What goods are liable to forfeiture? How are other violations of the revenue laws punished?
218. What are revenue cutters? For what are they used? Who are smugglers? What other laws do the revenue cutters aid in enforcing?
219. What are the privileges of vessels owned and commanded by our own citizens?
220. What is the registry of a vessel?
221. Is the owner of a vessel bound to register it? What is the law if a vessel is not registered?
222. What is required in order to obtain a register? What if the master be changed or the vessel's name altered?
223. What is the coasting trade? What is required of vessels in the coasting and fishing trades in order to be entitled to the privileges of vessels of the United States? What if they are less than twenty tons burden? How long are licenses valid?
224. How may registered vessels be enrolled and licensed? How may those enrolled and licensed be registered? What is required of vessels enrolled and licensed for the coasting trade, before proceeding on a foreign voyage?
225. What are unregistered vessels? Under what authority do they sail? 226. When are certificates of registry, enrolment, and licenses termed permanent? When temporary?
227. What is a protection certificate?
Repeat clause 2. Repeat clause 3.
229. What is commerce?
How is the word used in the Constitution?
231. What power has Congress in regulating commerce? How far does the power extend?
232. Why cannot a State lay a tax on importers or imported goods?
233. What is quarantine? What is the object of compelling a vessel to perform quarantine?
234. To what other cases does the authority of Congress also extend? What is an embargo?
236. How are the Indians within a State or the territories regarded? Repeat clause 4.
237. What is meant by naturalization?
240. How long must a foreigner reside in the United States before he can be naturalized?
241. How may an alien, being a free white person, become a citizen of the United States? What is this act called?
242. What is required at the time of his application? How long must he have resided in the United States? How long in the State or territory where he then resides? What other qualifications are necessary? How must the applicant prove his residence?
243. In what cases are children of persons duly naturalized considered as citizens of the United States? When are persons born out of the United States considered as citizens? In what cases are the widow and children of an alien considered as citizens?
244. What are aliens required to renounce on becoming citizens?
245. What is the cause of bankruptcy and insolvency? To what class of persons does a bankrupt law apply? Who does the insolvent law protect? 246. Where is the power to establish bankrupt laws vested?
248. Is there any national bankrupt law in force now?
Repeat clause 5.
249. Why are the powers to coin and measures vested in Congress?
The treasurer? The
Chief coiner? The engraver?
money and to fix the standard of weights Where is money coined? 250. What are the duties of the director of the mint? assayer? The melter and refiner? 251. Where is the mint situated? 252. Would it be lawful for a person to take uncoined gold or silver to the mint to have it coined? Is the treasurer of the mint obliged to receive deposits of less value than one hundred dollars.
253. Where have branches of the mint been established?
254. What are the weights and measures of the States?
Repeat clause 6. Repeat clause 7.
260. How are the mails carried?
261. Under whose direction is the post-office of the United States? What power has he by act of Congress. What is required of him and others employed in the general post-office previous to entering upon the discharge of their duties? In what cases is a heavy penalty imposted on a postmaster? 263. What postmasters are appointed by the President? What by the Postmaster General?
264. What is meant by franking? By whom is this privilege possessed? 267. What are the post-roads generally selected? Of what are post-roads declared to consist?
Repeat clause 8.
269. What are the means used to promote science and arts? What class of persons does this clause protect?
270. To whom are letters-patent granted?
271. Who is the chief officer of the patent-office? What are his duties? What are the duties of the examiners?
272. What is a patent? What does it contain?
273. What is the specification? What is required in the specification? 275. What is the duty of the commissioner on the receipt of the application, &c.? What is the cost of a patent to a citizen of the United States ? 276. Can a patent be extended?
277. For what term are the authors of books, &c. right of printing, publishing, and selling them? termed?
entitled to the exclusive What is this privilege
278. What is required of an author or proprietor in order to obtain a copyright?
279. What is required to be inserted in every copy during the duration of the right? Why is this done?
280. Is a person entitled to print or publish a manuscript without the consent of the author?
Repeat clause 9. Repeat clause 10.
283. What is piracy? What do the high seas include?
285. What are the offences on the high seas declared by Congress to be treated as piracies?
286. In what case shall a mariner or captain be deemed a pirate and felon ? 287. What has the slave-trade been declared?
288. What is understood by the law of nations? Mention some offences against the law of nations? Where is the punishment of such offences vested?
Repeat clause 11.
290. What are meant by letters of marque and reprisal? What is the meaning of reprisal? What of marque?
292. What is capture? May all vessels belonging to the enemy be captured? What is a prize? What is booty?
293. What is the general practice of nations with regard to captured property? What is the rule when a prize is taken at sea?
294. When are the proceeds of all ships and vessels considered the sole property of the captors? When of inferior force, what is the law?
295. What courts are authorized to try the question of prize or no prize? Repeat clause 12.
297. How has Congress the right to raise armies? For how long a period shall there be an appropriation for the support of the military?
298. How long are enlistments required to be?
299. What is the oath required by the officers, &c. of the army?
Repeat clause 13.
300. Of what use is a navy? Name the first three vessels commissioned for our service.
301. What is hospital money?
302. What others are subject to the same deduction?
303. How are invalid seamen provided for in smaller ports? Where has one permanent naval asylum been established?
304. What institution did Congress authorize to be erected near Washington? 305. What are pensions?
306. What are invalid pensions?
307. What are gratuitous pensions?
308. What are bounty lands?
Repeat clause 14.
Repeat clause 15.
310. For what purpose has Congress a right to call the militia of the States? What is meant by militia?
311. Who is to judge of the necessity of calling out the militia? How may the militia be called forth? Under whose control are the army and navy of the United States? How can the President call forth the militia?
Repeat clause 16.
313. Can one State control the militia of another State? How are the officers appointed? How are the militia trained? When do the States train and discipline the militia?
Repeat clause 17.
314. In what State, if any, is the seat of government?
315. Where is it? What is the name of the District?
317. Are the inhabitants of the District regarded as citizens of any State? Are they liable to taxation? How are their local affairs regulated? How are Washington and Georgetown governed?
318. How can Congress acquire property in a State? The consent of what body is required?
319. Who has the jurisdiction over places purchased by government? How are offences committed there to be tried?
323. What was the main object of this clause? By the act of 1820 how is the slave-trade considered?
Repeat clause 2.
327. What is a writ?
328. What is meant by a writ of habeas corpus?
329. What would be done if a person alleged in writing that he was unlawfully deprived of his liberty? To whom is the writ directed?
330. What is done when the imprisoment is illegal? When legal? Repeat clause 3.
332. What are bills of attainder? 333. What are ex post facto laws? Repeat clause 4. Repeat clause 5. 336. Why is no preference given to Repeat clause 7.
Why are those laws prohibited?
338. What does this clause prevent? To whom does the money in the Treasury belong? Who keep the Treasury accounts? To whom does he report, and to what body is the report transmitted?
339. Can the government be sued for claims? What is the mode of redress?
Repeat clause 8.
340. What is a fundamental principle of our government? Why are titles of nobility prohibited?
341. Why is a person holding office prohibited from receiving a present from a foreign power? What is required in order that such officer may receive those gifts? To what persons does the prohibition not extend?
342. Are gifts from foreign princes ever sent to the President? What is generally done in those cases?
REPEAT clause 1.
343. Can a State enter into a treaty? Why? Why should not foreign powers form alliances with any State? In whom is the treaty-making power vested?
344. Under the Constitution where is the power to issue letters of marque and reprisal vested? What danger might arise if this power was vested in the States?
345. Can any State coin money?
346. What is meant by bills of credit? Can the States issue such bills? What were the bills of credit issued during the Revolution called? To what amount were bills of credit then issued? What was the object of this prohibition?
347. What is the lawful tender of the States? What was the object of this restriction?
349. Can the States impair the obligations of contracts? What is a contract? What is the obligation of a contract? What would be the effect if the law was changed enforcing its fulfilment ?
354. In what cases can charters granted by a State be altered or impaired? What charters may be repealed and changed?
355. What are retrospective laws?
356. Can the States grant titles of nobility?
Repeat clause 2.
358. Can a State lay duties on exports or imports?
359. Can a State enact inspection laws? What are inspection laws? What is the object of these laws?
Repeat clause 3.
363. Under what restrictions can the States lay duty on tonnage ?
364. Can the States keep troops or ships of war in time of peace? What is the rule in time of war?
365. Can a State enter into compact with another State? What is the restriction? What is the utility of this law?
366. Can a State engage in war without the consent of Congress? Where is the power to declare war vested?