retreated, and were closely pressed. They made a stand at Carrick's Ford, and poured a heavy fire upon the Fourteenth, as the latter came up, but after a short conflict the rebels fled precipitously, throwing away everything that would impede their progress. More than thirty wellladen wagons, one piece of artillery, three stands of colors and 250 prisoners were captured. Soon after this, the regiment returned home, their term of service having expired. They were greeted all along the route home by crowds of grateful people.

THE THIRTY-EIGHTH INFANTRY. The Thirty-eighth was organized at Defiance, Ohio, September, 1861, under the call for 300,000 men for three years. On the 22d, it was transferred to Camp Dennison, Columbus, where it was armed, equipped and partially drilled, and, in October, was sent into the field in Kentucky. It encamped first at Nicholasville, but, two weeks later, was ordered on a forced march of sixty miles to the relief of Wild Cat, Ky., where it arrived October 19. It pursued the enemy on several occasions, and, finally, took up winter quarters at Somerset, Ky., though it did not remain idle. The winter of 1861-62, was very sickly for the regiment, and soon less than three hundred of the 990 men were fit for duty. In March, it moved to Nashville, and, a little later, on the campaign through Middle Tennessee. In April and May, it participated in the siege of Corinth ; then pursued Beauregard to Booneville; returned and camped near Corinth; marched, in June, to Tuscumbia, Ala., and, in August, to Winchester, Tenn. During this period, the regiment participated in various reconnoissances. A party of eighty men of the regiment made a forced march of seventy-two miles, capturing Tracy City, destroying valuable stores and returning without the loss of a man in less than twenty-four hours. The regiment was in the terrible march from Chattanooga to the Ohio River. In September, the regiment fought at Chaplin's Hills, and afterward campaigned in Kentucky, going into camp October 27 at Rolling Forks, Ky. Here recruits were received, quite a number from Williams County, and then the march to Nashville was made. In November and December, 1862, it guarded railroads between Gallatin and Nashville ; but, in December, took part in the campaign which terminated in the bloody battle of Stone River, where the regiment fought with the loss of a few men, going into camp after the battle, near the city, where it remained until March, 1863, when it moved to Triune, and built Fort Phelps. During the summer of 1863, it took part in the Tullahoma campaign, and, in August, moved with the center corps over the Cumberland Mountains, crossed the Tennessee at Shellmound, and moved over Lookout and Raccoon Mountains to Lookout Valley, where immediate prepara

[graphic][merged small]

tions were made for battle. The Thirty-eighth, under a special order of Gen. Thomas, was charged with the transit to Chattanooga of the supplytrain of the whole army. The regiment thus escaped the bloody battle of Chickamauga. At the assault on Mission Ridge, the Thirty-eighth was on the extreme left, and though the fire from the rebel batteries was hot and terrific, it moved up, up to the very summit, loosing seven killed and forty-one wounded. It pursued the enemy to Ringgold, Ga., then returned to Chattanooga, where it "veteranized,” and was furloughed home. The Williams County boys were received with banquets, speeches, toasts and great enthusiasm and rejoicing, and, at the expiration of the furlough, reported at Ringgold, Ga., where recruits were received, and the depleted ranks raised to 741 men. In May, 1864, it skirmished briskly at Buzzard Roost Gap, and at its fortifications nearly in the rear of Resaca, where several men were killed and wounded. It took an active part in the siege of Kenesaw; moved in July to the Chattahoochie River, fortifying and skirmishing; established on the 22d of July the picket line of the Fourteenth Army Corps near Atlanta, and, early in August, moved to Utoy Creek, where Companies A, C and K charged the enemy's skirmish line, forced it back with the loss of nine men killed and forty-two wounded out of 120 men engaged. Companies A and C were from Williams County. After various expeditions, the regiment, with its brigade (Este's), assaulted the enemy's works at Jonesboro, where it fought desperately, suffering the appalling loss of forty-two killed and 108 wounded out of 360 engaged. The color-bearer, 0. P. Randall, was shot dead, as was also his successor, Corp. Baird. The third, Corp. Strawser, fell severely wounded, and the fourth, Corp. Donsey, bore the flag to the enemy's works, though suffering a slight wound. Corp. Brookes, the fifth bearer, received five balls through his clothing. The dead were buried on a little knoll near the battle-field. At Atlanta, those who had not “veternanized" were discharged. After pursuing Hood a portion of the way back, the regiment rejoined the Union forces at Atlanta, and marched with Sherman to the sea. It did provost duty at Milledgeville, destroyed the bridge across the Big Ogeechee, marching forty-four miles to do it, and reaching camp at 12 o'clock at night. On the 21st of December, 1864, the regiment went into camp near Savannah, where 200 drafted men and substitutes were received. It participated in the campaign of the Carolinas without events of serious importance; it moved to Richmond, to Alexandria, to Washington, D. C., and to Louisville, Ky., where, on the 12th of July, 1865, it was mustered out, the discharge taking place at Cleveland on the 22d of the same month.

[ocr errors]


The Sixty-eighth rendezvoused at Camp Latta, Napoleon, in November, 1861, and spent the succeeding winter pleasantly there. In the latter part of January, 1862, it moved to Camp Chase, and in the middle of February to Fort Donelson, Tenn., where it was assigned to Gen. C. F. Smith's division, and skirmished on the left of the lines during both days' battles. After a few other operations, it moved about the middle of March to Pittsburg Landing, where bad weather, bad water and bad rations reduced the regiment from 1,000 men to less than 250. At the battle of Pittsburg Landing, it guarded ordnance and supply trains. During the operations around Corinth, it was constantly engaged in building bridges, roads and intrenchments, and, after the evacuation, guarded railroad lines and bridges. It fought at luka and Metamora, and was complimented in general orders for gallantry. It moved with the attempted expedition to penetrate Mississippi to Vicksburg, and then returned to Memphis. In the spring of 1863, it worked on various canals in Louisiana, and, on the 10th of April, was moved to Milliken's Bend, where, for a time, it worked on military roads. On the 23d, it began to march around Vicksburg, crossing swamps, bayous and swollen streams, and reaching the Mississippi at Grand Gulf May 1, 1863, by a forced march ; it fought at Thompson's Hill, and subsequently at Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hills and Big Black. Men were lost at each place, the most at Champion Hills. It fought in the rear of Vicksburg, and participated in the assault on Fort Hill on the 22d. It supplied the trenches, furnished sharpshooters, and formed part of the army of observation near Big Black. On the 12th of July, it fought at Jackson, and afterward guarded 600 prisoners to Vicksburg. In October, it skirmished at Bogue Chitta Creek, and, in February, 1861, fought at Baker's Creek. Just before this, it “veteranized," and soon after returned home, where it was received with all the “pomp and circumstance of glorious war." In May, it returned to Cairo, where it was joined by 300 recruits, and on the 10th of June reached Sherman's army at Acworth, Ga. During the remainder of the Atlanta campaign, the Sixty-eighth was almost constantly under fire, being on the advance sixty-five days. It fought at Kenesaw, Nicojack, Atlanta, July 220 and 28th, Jonesboro and Lovejoy. Its fight of the 22d was very heavy. It was sandwiched between two heavy detachments of rebel infantry, but by gallantry and good leadership eluded the enemy and joined its brigade, which was found hotly engaged. At one time the brigade was almost surrounded, the rebels assailing from several points. After long, hard fighting, the Union lines were charged in splendid style by a long array of rebels with muskets at a “right shoulder shift.” They were met with a terrific fire from the

« ForrigeFortsett »