brigade, volley after volley being poured into them until the ground was strewn with their dead and the remainder were repulsed. The Sixtyeighth pursued Hood, but soon returned and moved with Sherman to the

It engaged the Georgia militia at the crossing of the Oconee, but otherwise had an uneventful transit to Savannah, where it arrived on the 10th of December, 1864. After a short delay, it moved on the Carolina campaign. Upon arriving at Goldsboro, forty-two men were barefooted, thirty-six bare-headed, and two hundred and sixty wearing some articles of citizens' clothes. It moved via Washington, D. C., to Louisville, Ky., whence, on the 10th of July, it was ordered to Cleveland for payment and discharge. This took place on the 18th of July, 1865.

THE ONE HUNDREDTH INFANTRY. The One Hundredth was organized at Toledo in July and August, 1862, and was mustered into service on the 1st of September. On the 8th, it moved to the defense of Cincinnati, and on the 9th took position on Covington Heights. A month later it moved to Lexington, Ky., and on the 1st of December to Richmond, Ky. It worked on fortifications until December 26, when it moved to Danville, and on the 3d of January, 1863, to Frankfort. Near the last of February, it marched to Lexington, thence to Crab Orchard, Mount Vernon, Somerset, and various other points. It finally moved to Knoxville, whence a detachment was sent to the Virginia State Line to guard the railroad. This portion, numbering two hundred and fifty, was captured and sent to Richmond, Va. Large numbers of them afterward died of starvation and exposure. The regiment participated in the defense of Knoxville, and, after active duty in East Tennessee, moved in the spring of 1864 to Tunnel Hill, Ga., and joined Gen. Sherman. It participated in the Atlanta campaign, fighting in almost every battle. On the 6th of August, it assaulted the rebel work in front of Atlanta, suffering a loss of 103 men killed and wounded out of 300 engaged. Thirty-six men were killed on the field, and eight more died from wounds within the next thirty days. This frightful loss has scarcely a parallel in the annals of the war. The Colonel was disabled for life. The regiment joined the pursuit of Hood, participated in the desperate battles of Franklin and Nashville, and finally moved to Wilmington, N. C., where it was actively engaged. It moved from Goldsboro to Raleigh with Sherman, thence to Greensboro, and thence to Cleveland, Ohio, where it was mustered out July 1, 1865, having served two years and ten months. It lost during its term of service 65 men killed in action ; 142 wounded; 27 died of wounds; 108 died of disease ; 325 were captured by the enemy, and 85 died in rebel prisons. It fought in the battles of Lenoir Station, Knoxville, Rocky Face Ridge, Resaca, Dallas, Etowah Creek, Atlanta, Columbus, Franklin, Nashville, Town Creek and Wilmington. It was one of the most gallant regiments from Ohio, or in the war. Its record is its proudest and grandest monument.

THE ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVENTH INFANTRY. The One Hundred and Eleventh was organized in August, 1862, and mustered in September 5 and 6. On the 11th, it took the field at Covington, Ky. In the same month, it drove the cavalry of Kirby Smith from Crittenden. On the 25th, it started on transports for Louisville. It skirmished at Frankfurt, and some time later moved by rapid marches to Bowling Green, Ky., where it did garrison duty. It took part in the pursuit of John Morgan, and after his capture proceeded to Portsmouth, where it arrived July 18, thence to Kentucky. After various marches, expeditions, scouts and skirmishes, the regiment found itself, about the middle of October, confronted by Longstreet at Huff's Ferry. It charged with its brigade, and was successful, forcing the rebels back and losing a few men.

At Loudon Creek, the regiment skirmished briskly with the Sixth South Carolina, and lost four killed and twelve wounded. The stand was made to protect Henshaw's Illinois Battery. At daylight on the morning of the 16th, Lieut. Norris and fifty-two men of Company B were captured while on picket. Thirty-six of these afterward died of starvation and exposure at Andersonville Prison, N. C. In the engagement at Campbell's Station, the regiment was for six hours exposed to the artillery fire of two rebel batteries, though the loss was only eight, owing to the percussion shell used, which fell mainly in the rear. It moved to Knoxville, fighting on three separate occasions, and moving for three days without food, sleep or rest. At the siege of Knoxville, it lost six men killed and wounded. It skirmished at Blain's Cross Roads, Danville and Strawberry Plains, losing one man killed, January 21, 1864, at the latter place. It skirmished briskly at Morristown, March 14. On the last of April, it was moved to Charleston, marching 100 miles in four days. It participated in the Atlanta campaign, fighting at Buzzard's Roost, Rocky Face Mountain, Resaca, Kenesaw, Pine Mountain, Lost Mountain, Dallas, on the Chattahoochie, near Nicojack Creek, Decatur, Peach Tree Creek, siege of Atlanta and the skirmishes at Rough and Ready, Lovejoy Station and Utoy Creek. It started on the campaign with 380 men, and of this number lost in killed and wounded two hundred and twelve. It lost a few men at Stone Mountain, and then pursued Hood, skirmished at Cedar Bluffs, also at Rome, Ga., and moved to Resaca November 1, 1864. It skirmished at Columbia, and repulsed two charges of the enemy near Franklin. It reached Franklin on the morning of the 30th of November, and was immediately assigned a front rank on the left flank of

[ocr errors]

the Second Division, to the right of the Franklin Turnpike. It fought desperately on that eventful day, losing in this hottest battle of the war” twenty-two men killed on the field and forty wounded out of the 180 men engaged. Many were killed by rebel bayonets. The contest was so close, hot and terrific, that once the regimental flag was snatched from the colorbearer by a stalwart rebel, who was instantly shot dead. The loss of officers was so great, that a detail from other regiments was necessary to command the companies. The regiment fought gallantly both days at Nashville, and in a charge on the second day captured three rebel battleflags and a large number of prisoners, losing seven killed and fifteen wounded. It pursued Hood, and then moved to Cincinnati, Washington, D. C., and took ocean steamers for Fort Fisher to participate in the campaign of the Carolinas. Soon after this, it participated in the actions at Moseley's Hall and Goldsboro, and the capture of Fort Anderson. It was mustered out at Cleveland July 5, 1865. The regiment numbered 1,050 men when it entered the service, and received eighty-five recruits. Two hundred and thirty-four were discharged for disability, disease and wounds; 200 died of disease contracted in the service; 252 were killed in battle or died of wounds, and 401 were mustered out. This was one of Ohio's best regiments.

ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-SECOND INFANTRY. The One Hundred and Forty-second was organized at Camp Chase, and mustered in May 12, 1864. It moved to Martinsburg, Va., where it remained until the 19th, and then continued on to Washington, D. C., where it arrived on the 21st. It marched out to Fort Lyon, where the men were obliged to pass the night on the bare ground. On the 5th of June the regiment was ordered to the front at White House Landing, on the Pamunkey River, much to the surprise of the men, though not to their dismay. It reached the Landing on the 9th at midnight, and encamped on the open field. The wounded from the battle of Cold Harbor were being brought in, and the sight to the new, untried soldiers was sickening. At 4 o'clock the next morning, the regiment was ordered to guard a supply train through the wilderness to Gen. Grant's front. When this was accomplished, the regiment was ordered to report to Gen. Butler at Bermuda Hundred. When there, the troops were moved to Point of Rocks, five miles below Petersburg, thence out to the extreme national right about six miles. The tired boys were roused from their slumbers by the long roll, marched on the double quick to the rifle-pits, and ordered to destroy rebel earthworks, which they did, though not without resistance from the enemy, who were driven from the field. Here, day after day, the regiment worked at building forts, guarding earthworks, and performing severe picket and fatigue duty. Soon after this, the boys were ordered to Camp Chase via Washington, D. C., and mustered out September 2, 1864. About fifty men were lost from disease and exposure.


The Third Cavalry was organized in September, 1861, at Monroeville, Huron County. It moved to Camp Dennison January 14, 1862, and to Jeffersonville in February. On the 18th of March, it arrived at Nashville, Tenn., but left for Pittsburg Landing on the 29th. The first battalion was sent against Biftle's rebel cavalry, who were driven from Lawrenceburg. A quantity of bacon was seized at Mt. Pleasant; the enemy were driven back at Monterey; a brisk skirmish was had with the enemy's lines at Corinth, in which the regiment was driven back, though twelve rebels were killed upon the ground. On the 27th of May, the enemy in force were routed on the Memphis Railroad, and four of them killed. The regiment was divided here, but after various expeditions was re-united at Iuka and Tuscumbia. After occupying various positions and participating in numerous foraging and other expeditions and several skirmishes, the first battalion of the Third had a sharp engagement with the enemy at Munfordville, losing two killed and twelve wounded. The enemy lost thirty-eight killed and sixty wounded. In a severe attack on the enemy near Bardstown, the Third lost six men killed, twenty wounded and seventeen captured. After this, for several months detachments of the regiment were constantly engaged scouting and skirmishing with rebel guerrillas. Six men were killed and several wounded at Guntersville. From Nashville to Louisville, the Third formed portions of the rear guard of Buell's army, and skirmished almost daily with the enemy. It fought the enemy at Shelbyville on the way to Perryville and at Perryville. On the 19th of October, a detachment sent to escort special couriers to Covington was completely surrounded by John Morgan's forces, and, after an obstinate resistance, forced to surrender. They were stripped of their

. valuables, dismounted, paroled and ordered to Camp Chase, Ohio. The remainder of the Third, after skirmishing several times with Morgan's forces, went into camp at Hartsville, Tenn. A detachment, after a twentysix-mile chase, near Carthage, captured a train of valuable stores, killing three rebels and capturing seventeen. It skirmished with Morgan's forces near Lebanon, assisted in driving the rebels from Franklin, fought the second time at Franklin,

Franklin, engaged the enemy near Triune, and on the Wilkerson Turnpike skirmished Bragg's forces on the 29th of December and on the 30th, and at 2 o'clock in the morning of the 31st apprised the National troops of the advance of the enemy. Much of the Third Cavalry was thrown out as skirmishers, but was driven by the rebels at 4 o'clock. After two hours of fighting, the whole right wing of the National troops was thrown back with severe loss, though when McCook's ammunition train was captured the second and third battalions of the Third charged the enemy, retook the train and captured 140 prisoners. On the afternoon of the 31st, the regiment lost in one charge of the enemy thirteen killed and many wounded. On the 1st of January, 1863, the Third was ordered to escort a train of 4,000 wagons to Nashville for supplies, and on the way had two desperate fights with the enemy, resulting in their repulse. After the battle of Stone River, the Third pursued the enemy, captured one of his trains, and then encamped at Murfreesboro. A detachment fought Morgan's guerrillas near Woodbury, losing severely in killed, wounded and prisoners. Another detachment was completely surrounded, ordered to surrender, but cut their way out and captured a number of prisoners. The regiment fought at Milton, Liberty, Readyville, Franklin, Auburn, Manchester, McMinnville, losing many killed and wounded. It fought at Elk River, at the Tennessee River, above Chattanooga, on the run for three days, at Lafayette and at Farmington, losing at the latter place two killed and twenty-three captured. January, 1864, the Third Cavalry re-enlisted, and were furloughed home. During this time, about 1,000 recruits were received, which raised the regiment to about 1,500 men. It took the field again in Tennessee, fought the rebels at Courtland, Ala., at Moulton, Ala., at Etowah, Kenesaw Mountain, Noonday Creek and at the crossing of the Chattahoochie River. It captured 400 factory girls at Roswell, Ga., who were sent through the lines by Gen. Sherman. A severe fight was had at McAfee's Bridge, also at Peach Tree Creek, Decatur, and in the raids to Covington and Stone River. It participated in the Kilpatrick and the Stoneman raids around Atlanta, skirmished at Jonesboro, Lovejoy, and at Rome, Cartersville and Decatur in pursuit of Hood. It fought at Franklin and at Nashville, losing heavily, after which it pursued Hood into Alabama, and then participated in the Wilson raid, fighting at Selma, Montgomery, Macon and Griffin, and participated in the chase of Jeff Davis. After a few other movements and duties, the regiment was ordered to report at Nashville, Tenn., where it was mustered out and transferred to Camp Chase, Ohio, where, on the 14th of August, 1865, the men were paid and discharged.

THE NINTH CAVALRY. The Ninth Cavalry rendezvoused at Zanesville, and though begun late in the year 1862, did not take the field until the 23d of April, 1863, when it was ordered to Lexington, Ky. At this time, the regiment was not a regiment—it was the First Battalion of the Ninth Cavalry, and con

« ForrigeFortsett »