and D, Thirty-Eighth Iowil

, for no regiment organized in the country suffered to such an extent by disease. Stationed in localities where to breathe the air was to inhale death, the boys of Company E, D and K performed their allotted duty, sustained by naught save the feeling of patriotism, and faced death uncheered by "the shout of victory, the rapture of the strife.”

Died of disease: Company D), 3d Iowa, 10; Company H, 9th Iowa, 15; Company G. 12th lowa, 17; Company E, 38th Iowa, 34; Company D, 38th Iowa, 37; Company K, 38th Iowa, 37.

Company É, at the time it was mustered in, was commanded by M. A. Moore, who achieved no particular distinction. He resigned in the spring of 1863, and was succeeded by 0. M. Bliss, who enlisted as a private and secured promotion by meritorious services. Capt. Bliss was as true a soldier as ever drew a sword. Brave, earnest and patriotic, he "dared to lead where any dared to follow.” After facing death on twenty fields he died from injuries received by a fall from his horse while acting as Major, after the capture of Atlanta. J. H. Phillips succeeded to the captaincy, and commanded the company until its service was ended.

In writing this brief sketch of the career of Company H, embracing a period of nearly four years, and services performed in eight States, from the Ozark Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean, a hundred incidents and memories crowd on the mind that space will not permit me to relate. Nearly sixteen years have elapsed since "we took the oath of muster with right hand raised to heaven," and in looking back, the boys of Company H will instinctively date their memory of army life from the bitter, persistent struggle in the wild ravines of the Ozark, where their first blood was shed. And during all subsequent campaigning, Pea Ridge was the standard whereby to measure the severity of the conflict. And the boys of the Ninth will ever remember, with proud gratification, the tribute their valor received from the ladies of Bostona stand of colors emblazoned with the name of their fiercest battle.

COMPANY G, TWELFTH IOWA. The third company raised in the county was one that became Company G, Twelfth Iowa. It was enrolled at Decorah in September, 1861, ordered into quarters at Dubuque, September 30, and mustered into the United States service November 5, 1861. It was officered as follows:

Captain-C. C. Tupper. First Lieutenant-L. D. Townsley. Second Lieutenant-J. F. Nickerson. Orderly Sergeant-J. E. Simpson. The company became a portion of the regiment from the date of its muster in, and from that time on until disbanded always acted well its part. Company G was noted in its regiment for its

excellent moral status and soldierly efficiency. It saw hard service, and took an active part in the following hotly-contected battles: Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Shiloh, siege of Corinth, Corinth, Jackson, Vicksburg, Jackson siege and capture, Brandon, Tupelo, Nashville, and Brentwood Hill. Besides these battles, the company did excellent service as skirmishers. The company early met with a severe loss in the death of its first captain, C. C. Tupper.

Captain C. C. Tupper was born at Auburn, New York, December 24, 1832, and came to Decorah in May, 1857. He had received a liberal education, and prior to taking a residence in Iowa had served as agent of the Associated Press and local manager of the telegraph offices at Buffalo and St. Louis. He was admitted to the bar soon after his arrival, but for a brief time edited the Decorah Journal, a Democratic newspaper. When the war broke out he took an active and intensely patriotic interest in every movement. Military life was always attractive to him, and he was unusually well versed in the manual of arms. He assisted in organizing the two companies from Winneshiek County that found place in the Third and Ninth regiments, and helped prepare them for the field. When it became evident that a third company must be drawn from the county, all eyes turned toward Captain Tupper to take its lead. Although of a frail constitution, and physically unfitted for the severe trials of army life, his patriotism överrode all prudence, and he consented. The company was rapidly recruited, and assigned to the Twelfth Regiment of lowa Volunteers. But Capt. Tupper's association with the company was only a brief one. He was idolized by his men, beloved by all his associate officers, and thoroughly respected by his superiors. But these could not protect and defend him from disease and death. While going from Dubuque to St. Louis with the regiment he caught a severe cold, and in six weeks died at Benton Barracks, in St. Louis, a victim of capilliary bronchitis. In his death the terrible evils of war was first brought directly home to the community of which he had been a member. He had been the leader in the best social circles, the active abettor of every public enterprise, and his death carried sadness and mourning to almost every household in the county. Of friends who mourned his death there were scores upon scores; of enemies, none.

The sad event narrated above necessitated the promotion of Lieut. L. D. Townsley to the captaincy of the company, which office he held until mustered out of the service, November 25, 1864. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Shiloh, in which engagement he sustained a severe wound in the left arm, and suffered with the rest of his brother officers the hardships of prison life. After his exchange he was often employed in important detached duties, which he always filled with credit to himself and country. He served out his entire term of service, and is now residing in Chicago.

Lieut. J. F. Nickerson was made First Lieutenant, and was stunned at the battle of Fort Donelson with what was supposed to be a solid shot from the enemy's batteries. From this he never recovered, was sick and ill the morning of the Shiloh fight, but persisted in going out with his company to the front, was taken prisoner, and died in rebel prison at Montgomery, Ala., May 31, 1862. Kind but firm, a noble, brave man, beloved by his friends and all who knew him, a martyr to the cause.

Orderly Sergeant J. E. Simpson was promoted to be Second Lieutenant, but resigned on account of ill-health in 1862, and is now living in Decorah.

A. A. Burdick, Second Sergeant, was made Orderly and then First Lieutenant, and was killed at the battle of Tupelo, July 14, 1864. He was the Q artermaster of the regiment, and had been ordered to the rear with his train; but after seeing his wagons properly “parked" he came to the front, and volunteered to assist in bringing forward ammunition. While thus engaged he was struck by a shell and instantly killed. He died as a soldier would wish to die, with his face to the enemy and in the heat of battle. Lamented and mourned by all who knew him, no better man or braver soldier ever offered up his life that his country might be saved.

Anton E. Anderson, Third Sergeant, became Second Lieutenant, -served with credit to himself until mustered out, at expiration of term of service, December, 1864, and died at his farm, some years after the war, near Eldorado, Iowa.

Robert A. Gibson, Fifth Sergeant, became Orderly Sergeant, March 27, 1863, was promoted to First Lieutenant December 2, 1864, became Captain of his company January 23, 1865, and for a time was Captain and Provost Marshal at Selma, Ala., and served with great credit to himself to the end of the war. He was then appointed Second Lieutenant in the regular army, and was killed by the accidental discharge of a pistol at Fort Randall in 1867.

Jacob H. Womeldorf, First Corporal, became Fifth Sergeant, was taken prisoner with his company at Shiloh; was held prisoner for some time, and suffered great hardships that so broke down his health as to compel him to return home in 1863. He was afterward Sheriff of Winneshiek County.

Nelson B. Burdick was Eighth Corporal, and but a youth at school when he went into the service. 'He contracted the measles .at Benton Barracks, and was never well afterwards. He took part in the battles of Fort Henry, Donelson and Shiloh. Warmhearted, generous towards all, he became a universal favorite. The hardships endured in rebel prisons were to much for his impaired frame. He reached home and died among his friends.

“He has fought his last battle;
No sound can awake him to glory again."

[graphic][ocr errors]
« ForrigeFortsett »