« ForrigeFortsett »
INTRODUCTORY AND EXPLANATORY.
THE RECORD is divided into four departments, viz: Laws; Alphabetical, Detail and Classified lists.
The laws have been prepared especially for this publication, those of Mexico having been translated from the Spanish, and the digests of the commercial, corporation and mining laws of the States, Territories and Provinces of the United States and Canada were written by resident attorneys of acknowledged ability. Attention is called to the manner in which laws are indexed, enabling one to locate the matter or subject sought by glancing at the index at beginning of law. In the "Alphabetical List" all companies and individuals are arranged in alphabetical order by products, industries or callings, giving name of company or individual, and location of principal office, thus forming a complete index to the Detail, list.
The Detail List," arranged by countries and States, Territories and Provinces, and each of these by towns and names in alphabetical order, gives each town where industries or individuals are located, its county--except in the case of Mexico, where the towns are followed by the name of the State wherein they are situate--population thus, "Pop. 1000." Money order postffice thus, "M. O." Telegraph office thus, "Tel." Railway or waterway thus, "Ry. 100," the number referring to corresponding number in Index to Railways and Waterways," where name is given as well as that of the express company doing business at the point; the postoffice address where place given is not a postoffice, and the nearest shipping and banking points when place given be without either convenience.
This is followed by the name of operators and professionals, with information intended to give a brief abstract of the business done by companies or individuals, embracing at location of principal office name of company or individual, names and titles of officers, capital stock or capital, nature of business and location of works or properties. At the works or property's address is given the name of company or individual operator, with location of principal office, name and kind of works, character of product and annual output in tons of ore, etc., or tons, perch, cords, or feet of stone, number of days worked per annum, number of employes, kind of power used and name of superintendent.
That more detail information is not given in the present volume is owing to several causes, chief among which are, our correspondents often misunderstanding the nature of our inquiries, and thinking all we required was the name and address of company or individual. The dullness in the silver mining industry, for the past three years, rendered many hitherto valuable mines barren of any information save the name and location, and the same is true of the iron mining and stone quarrying industries, as well as some other lines listed. We are pleased to state, however, that there is a better feeling among mining interests than has been known for some time, and we trust to be able to add very materially to the volume of information in the next issue.
On the other hand we have had properties reported as mines which, upon investigation, we found to be but claim's or prospects, and whenever we have ascertained such to be the case we have so marked them.
Every name listed in the work has been verified so far as possible, each company or individual given having been communicated with either by letter or personally, and a great number by both methods, so that we are reasonably certain the lists are correct. The profes sional men listed have been recommended to us by persons engaged in mining or quarrying as being reliable and capable in their respective professions, and as it is our desire to make the publication a standard authority, we desire only the names of such for insertion, and should the name of any unworthy person appear in the list of professionals we will be greatly obliged to be informed of the fact at the earliest possible moment, that we may investigate the matter.
Following the Detail is the "Classified List" of machinery and supply houses, and professional men, which is intended for the exclusive benefit of advance subscribers, and will be a ready reference for persons desiring to know where to obtain any kind of machinery, supplies or professional services.
THE MINE AND QUARRY NEWS BUREAU.
RAILWAYS, WATERWAYS AND EXPRESS COMPANIES
NOTE.-The figures following "Ry." after name of a town in alphabetical or detail lists correspond with num-
bers of railways and waterways in this index, showing on which of such said town is located.
1. Abbeville & Waycross RR. Southern Express.
2. Abbeville So. Ry. So. Express. (Plant System.)
3. Abbotsford & Northeastern RR. National Express.
4. Addison & Pennsylvania Ry. W., F. & Co. Exp.
5. Adirondack Ry. Adirondack Express.
5a. Akron & Cuyahoga Falls Ry. Am. Ex.
5b. Akron, Bedford & Cleveland Ry. Am. Ex.
6. Alabama & Vicksburg Ry. So. Ex. (Q. & C. Route.)
7. Alabama Great So. Ry. So. Ex. (Q. & C. Route.)
8. Alabama Midland Ry. So. Ex. (Plant System.)
10., Albert Lea Route. American Express.
11. Alberta Southern Ry. Canadian Express.
Alberta Ry. & Coal Co. Great Falls & Canada Ex.
13. Albia & Centerville Ry. U. S. Ex. (Iowa Central).
14. Alleghany & Kinzua RR.
14a. Allegheny & South Side Ry.
15. Alleghany Valley Ry. Adams Express.
16. Alliance & Northern RR. Adams Express.
16a. Altamont & Manchester R.R.
17. Altoona & Phillipsburg Connecting RR. Am. Ex.
18. Altoona, Clearfield & Northern RR. Adams Express.
19. Amite River. (Louisiana.)
20. Annapolis, Washington & Balt. RR. Ad, and U. S. Ex.
20a. Ann Arbor R.R. Am. Ex.
20b. Ann Arbor & Ypsilanti Ry.
21. Apalachicola River. (Florida.)
21a. Arcata & Mad River R.R. W. F. & Co.'s Ex.
22. Arizona & New Mexico Ry. W., F. & Co. Ex.
23. Arizona & Southeastern Ry. W., F. & Co. Ex.
24. Arkansas & Louisiana Ry. W., F. & Co. Ex.
25. Arkansas Midland RR. Pacific Express.
26. Arkansas River.
Arrow Lakes-Upper and Lower. (British Columbia.)
29. Ashland Coal & Iron Ry. Adams Express.
30. Ashville & Coosa Ry Southern Express.
31. Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe RR. W., F. & Co. Ex.
32. Atlanta & Florida Ry. Southern Ex. (Southern.)
33. Atlanta & West Point RR. Southern Express.
34. Atlantic & Danville Ry. Southern Express.
35. Atlantic & Lake Superior Ry. Canadian Express.
36. Atlantic & North Carolina RR. Southern Express.
37. Atlantic & Pac. RR. W., F. & Co. Ex. (A., T. & S. Fe.)
38. Atlantic City RR. United States Express.
39. Atlantic Coast Line. Southern Express.
40. Atlantic Ocean.
41. Atlantic, Suwanee River & Gulf Ry. Southern Ex.
42. Augusta & Asheville Short Line. Southern Express.
43. Augusta Southern RR. Southern Express.
44. Au Sable & Northwestern Ry. American Express.
45. Austin & Northwestern RR. Wells, Fargo & Co. Ex.
46. Baltimore & Annapolis Short Line RR. U. S. Ex.
47. Baltimore & Delaware Bay RR. Adams Express.
48. Baltimore & Lehigh Ry. Adams Express.
49. Baltimore & Ohio RR. United States Express.
50. Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Ry. U. Š. Ex.
51. Baltimore & Potomac RR. Ad. Ex. (Penn. RR.)
52. Baltimore, Chesapeake & Atlantic Ry. Adams Ex.
53. Bangor & Aroostook RR. American Express.
54. Bangor & Portland Ry. Adams and United States
55. Barclay RR. United States Express.
55a. Bare Rock Ry.
66. Bellingham Bay & British Columbia RR. Dominion
Express. (Operated by Great Northern Ry.)
66a. Bellingham Bay & Eastern R.R.
67. Bennington & Rutland Ry. National Express.
68. Bentonville RR. Wells, Fargo & Co. Express.
69. Big Four Route. American Express.
70. Big Stone Gap & Powell's Valley Ry. Southern Ex.
70a. Big Sandy River R.R.
71. Birmingham & Atlantic RR. Southern Express.
72. Birmingham, Selma & New Orleans Ry. So. Ex.
Birmingham, Sheffield & Tennessee River Ry. So Ex.
74. Black Hills & Fort Pierre Ry. American Express.
75. Black Hills Line, Am. Ex. (F., Elk. & Mo. Val. RR.)
76. Blair Line. American Express. (K. C., O. &_S. Ry.)
77. Bloomsburg & Sullivan RR. United States Express.
78. Blue Ridge RR. Southern Express.
79. Blue Ridge & Atlantic RR. Southern Express.
95. Brunswick & Western RR. So. Ex. (Plant System.)
96. Buffalo & Susquehanna RR. American Express.
97. Buffalo, Attica & Arcade RR. American Express..
98. Buffalo. Rochester & Pittsburg Ry. American Ex.
99. Burlington & Mo. River Ry, in Neb. Ad. Ex. (Bur. Rt.)
100. Burlington & N. W. Ry. Ad. Ex. (Bur. Route.)
101. Burlington & Western Ry. Ad. Ex. (Bur Route.)
102. Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Ry. U. S. Ex.
103. Burlington Route. Adams Express.
104. Butte, Anaconda & Pacific Ry. Gt. Northern Ex.
105. Cairo RR.
106. Cairo Short Line. Am. Ex. (St. L., A. & T. H. Ry.)
106a. Caldwell & Northern R.R.
107. California & Nevada RR.
108. Calgary & Edmonton Ry. Dom. Ex. (Can. Pac.)
109. Calgary & Fort Macleod Ry. Dom. Ex. (Can. Pac.)
109a. Caloosahatchee River.
110. Camden & Atlantic RR. Adams and Camden & At-
Canada Eastern Ry. Canadian Express.
Canadian Government Rys. Can. and Dom. Ex's.
(Operated by Inter-Col. and P. E. I. Rys.)
114. Canadian Pacific Ry. Dominion Express.
114a. Canton & Masillon R.R. Am. Ex.
115. Cape Charles Route. Ad. Ex. (N. Y., P. & N. RR.)
Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley Ry. Southern Express.
Cape May, Delaware Bay & Sewell's Point RR.
56. Barnegat RR. Adams Express. (M. & L. B. T. Co.)
57. Barre RR. American Express.
59. Bay of Quinte Ry. & Navigation Co. Canadian and
60. Beattyville & Cumberland Gap RR. Adams Express.
60a. Beaver Creek Ry.
61. Beaver & Elwood RR. American Express.
63. Beech Creek RR. American Express.
120. Carolina Central RR. So. Ex. (Seaboard Air Line.)
121. Carolina, Cumberland Gap & Chicago Ry. So. Ex.
122. Carolina, Knoxville & Western Ry. Southern Ex.
123. Carolina Midland Ry. Southern Express.
124. Carrabelle, Tallahassee & Georgia RR. Southern Ex.
125. Carson & Colorado RR. Wells, Fargo & Co. Express.
125a. Carthage & Western R.R.
126. Carthage RR. Southern Ex. (Seaboard Air Line.)
126a. Catasauqua & Fogelsville R.R. U. S. Ex.
127. Catskill Mountain Ry. American Express.
127a. Cedar Rapids & Marion R.R.
128. Central New York & Western RR. American and
United States Expresses.
129. Central Ontario Ry. Canadian Express.
130. Central Pennsylvania & Western RR. Adams Ex.
131. Central RR. of Georgia. Southern Express.
132. Central Ry. of New Brunswick. Canadian Express.
123. Central RR. of New Jersey. United States Express.
134. Central RR. of Pennsylvania. American Express.
135. Central RR. of So. Carolina, So. Ex. (At. Coast Line.)
136. Central Vermont RR. American and National Ex's.
137. Central Washington RR. N. P. Ex. (N. P. RR.)
138. Centralia & Chester RR. Adams Express.
139. Chambersburg & Gettysburg RR. Adams Express.
140. Charleston & Savannah Ry. So. Ex. (Plant System.)
141. Charleston, Clendenin & Sutton RR.
142. Chateaugay RR. National Express.
143. Chattanooga & Lookout Mountain Ry. Southern Ex.
144. Chattanooga, Rome & Columbus RR. Southern Ex.
145. Chattanooga Southern Ry. Southern Express.
146. Cheraw & Chester RR. Southern Express.
147. Cheraw & Darlington RR. So. Ex. (At. Coast Line.)
148. Cheraw & Salisbury RR. So. Ex. (At. Coast Line.)
149. Chesapeake & Nashville Ry. Adams Express.
150. Chesapeake & Ohio Ry. Adams Express.
150a. Chesapeake & Western Ry.
151. Chesapeake, Ohio & Southwestern RR. Southern Ex.
152. Chester & Lenoir RR. Southern Express.
153. Chester, Perryville, Ste. Genevieve & F. Ry. Am. Ex.
154. Chicago & Alton RR. United States Express.
154a. Chicago & Calumet Terminal Ry.
155, Chicago & Eastern Illinois RR. American Express.
156. Chicago & Erie RR. Wells, Fargo & Co. Express.
157. Chicago & Grand Trunk Ry. National Express.
158. Chicago & Kenosha Ry.
159. Chicago & Northern Pacific RR. Northern Pac. Ex.
160. Chicago & Northwestern Ry. Am. Ex. (N. W. Line.)
161. Chicago & Southeastern Ry. Adams Express.
162. Chicago & Southeastern Ry. (Indiana.) U. S. Ex.
163. Chicago & Texas RR. Adams Express.
163a. Chicago & Western Indiana Ry.
164. Chicago & West Michigan Ry. American Express.
165. Chicago, Bur. & K. C. Ry. Ad. Ex. (Bur. Route.)
166. Chicago, Eur. & Northern RR. Ad. Ex. (Bur. Route.)
167. Chicago, Eur. & Quincy RR. Ad. Ex. (Bur. Route.)
168 Chicago, Detroit & Niagara Falls Short Line.
169. Chicago, Fairchild & Eau Claire River RR.
170. Chicago. Fort Madison & Des Moines Ry. Am. Ex.
11. Chicago Great Western Ry. United States Express.
12. Chicago, Jowa & Dakota Ry. American Express.
173. Chicago. Kalamazoo & Saginaw Ry. American Ex.
1. Chicago. Milwaukee & St. Paul Ry. United States Ex.
175, Chicago, Paducah & Memphis RR. Adams Express.
16. Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Ry. Ad. and Am. Ex's.
17. Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Ry. U. S. Ex.
178. Chicago, Rock Island & Texas Ry. United States Ex.
179. Chicago, St. L. & Pittsburg RR. Ad. Ex. (Penn. Co.)
180. Chicago. St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Ry. Ameri-
can Express. (Onerated by Northwestern Line.)
181. Chickamauga & Durham RR. Southern Express.
182 Chino Valley RR. Wells, Fargo & Co. Express.
183. Chippewa River & Menomonie Ry.
14. Choctaw, Oklahoma & Gulf RR. W., F. & Co. Ex.
1. Cincinnati & Kentucky Southern RR.
186 Cincinnati & Muskingum Valley Ry. Adams Express.
18. Cincinnati & Westwood RR. United States Express.
188. Cincinnati, Dayton & Chicago RR. United States Ex.
189. Cincinnati, Georgetown & Portsmouth RR. Cincin-
nati, Georgetown & Portsmouth Express.
190. Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton RR. U. S. Ex.
191. Cincinnati, Jackson & Mackinaw Ry. American Ex.
192. Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern Ry. American Ex.
193. Cincinnati. N. O. & Tex. Pac. Ry. Adams & So. Ex.
(Q. & C.)
194. Cincinnati Northwestern Rv. United States Express.
195. Cincinnati, Portsmouth & Virginia RR. Adams Ex.
196. Cincinnati, Saginaw & Mackinaw RR. National Ex.
19. Cin., Wab. & Mich. Rv. Am. Ex. (C., C., C. & St. L.)
197a. Clarendon & Pittsford Ry.
236a. Dakota, Wyoming & Missouri River R.R.
237. Dansville & Mount Morris RR. W., F. & Co. Ex.
238. Danville & Western Ry. Southern Express.
239. Dardanelle & Russellville Ry.
240. Darien & Western RR. Southern Express.
241. Dayton & Union RR. U. S. Ex. (C., C., C. & St. L.)
241a. Dayton Coal & Iron Co.
242. Dayton, Lebanon & Cincinnati RR. United States Ex.
243. Delaware & Hudson RR. Nat. and Adirondack Ex's.
244. Delaware, Lackawanna & Western RR. U. S. Ex.
245. Delaware River.
246. Delaware River RR. West Jersey Express.
247. Delaware River & Lancaster Ry.
248. Delaware, Susquehanna & Schuylkill RR.
249. Denver & Rio Grande RR. Denver & Rio Grande Ex.
250. Denver, Lakewood & Golden RR. Pacific Express.
251. Denver, Leadville & Gunnison Ry. Pacific Express.
252. Denver, Texas & Fort Worth RR. Denver & Rio
Grande Express. (Operated by U. P., D. & R. G.)
253. Des Moines & Kansas City Ry. Adams Express.
254. Des Moines, Northern & Western RR. U. S. Ex.
255. Detroit & Mackinac Ry. American Express.
256. Detroit, Grand Haven & Milwaukee Ry. Nat. Ex.
257. Detroit, Lansing & Northern RR. American Express.
258. Detroit River.
267b. Duluth Transfer Ry.
Western North Carolina RR.
408a. Kankakee & Seneca R.R. Am. Ex.
409. Kanona & Prattsburg RR. Wells, Fargo & Co. Ex.
410. Kansas City & Atlantic RR.
411. Kansas City & Beatrice RR. Pacific Express.
412. Kan. City & Independence Air Line. W., F. & Co. Ex.
412a. Kansas City & Independence Rapid Transit Ry.
412b. Kansas City & Memphis R. R. & Bridge Co.
413. Kansas City, Clinton & Springfield Ry. Adams Ex.
414. Kansas City, Ft. Scott & Mem.RR. Ad. and So. Ex.'s.
415. Kansas City, Memphis & Birmingham RR. So. Ex.
416. Kansas City Northwestern RR. Pacific Express.
417. Kansas City, Osceola & Southern Ry. American Ex.
418. Kansas City, Pittsburg & Gulf RR. Wells, Fargo &
Co. and Pacific Expresses.
419. K. C., St. Jos. & Coun. Bluffs RR. Ad. Ex. (Bur. Ro.)
419a. Kansas City Suburban Belt Ry.
420. Kansas City, Watkins & Gulf Ry. Pacific Express.
421. Kaslo-Slocan Ry.
422. Keeseville, Au Sable Chasm & Lake Champlain RR.
422a. Kelleys Creek Improvement Co.
National and Canadian Expresses.
318. Great Southern Despatch. Adams and Southern Ex-
presses. (Operated by Norfolk & Western.)
349. Green Bay, Winona & St. Paul RR. .U. S. Ex.
350. Greenfield & Northern RR. Adams and Southern Ex-
presses. (Operated by Kan. C., Ft. S. & Mem.)
Green Ridge RR.
425. Kentucky Midland Ry. Adams Express.
Keokuk & Western RR. Pacific Express.
Kewaunee, Green Bay & Western RR.
Kickapoo Valley & Northern Ry. United States Ex.
Kildare & Linden Ry.
Hawkinsville & Florida Southern Ry.
368. Hollins, Heflin & Sylacauga RR. Southern Express.
369. Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington RR. Hoosac Tunnel &
370. Hoosac Tunnel Route.
American and National Ex's.
Houck's Missouri & Arkansas RR.
Houston & Shreveport RR. Texas Express.
374. Houston & Texas Central RR. W., F. & Co. Ex.
375. Houston, East & West Texas Ry. Texas Express.
376. Hudson River. (New York.)
Humeston & Shenandoah RR. Adams Express.
378. Hunter's Run & Slate Belt RR. United States Ex.
379. Huntington & Broad Top Mountain RR. Adams Ex.
380. Hutchinson & Southern RR. United States Express.
381. Illinois Central RR. American Express.
382a. Illinois Western Ry.