was observed as a solemn fast. That monarch had, however, long since resigned her earthly sceptre, and it was not in obedience to her mandate that they were then assembled ; but it was to mark the special mercy of God as manifested in the singular preservation of the life of an humble individual named Robert Taylor. To sustain this in perpetual remembrance, he had placed a small sum of money in the public funds, the interest of which was yearly applied to discharge this important duty. The preacher then related, from curious documents, the destruction of life and property that occurred. Fifteen sail of the line, including Admiral Bowater and the whole of his crew, together with several hundred merchantmen, were all destroyed: the entire of this vast city represented the effects of a protracted siege—whole streets destroyed, and several thousand individuals buried beneath the ruins. A captain and surgeon of a vessel at the entrance to the river, driven to despair by the fearful nature of the gale, mutually resolved to put a period to their misery, the pistols were loaded and fired at the same moment; the surgeon died instantly, but the captain survived long enough to be conscious of the sin he had committed by knowing that his ship had reached a place of safety. 28. One of the most revolting of the many cases of distress that occur at this season came before Mr. Broderip, at the Thames Police-office. A Mrs. Holloway stated that her son, twelve years of age, had died in consequence of a fall on board ship; she was destitute, but owing to some parochial dispute, the body remained

unburied at her lodgings in Turner's-court, Shadwell; another of her children was ill with typhus fever; and the rest of the family, six children, had no other room to sleep in but that which contained the mouldering corpse and the diseased boy. Having ascertained the truth of the statement, Mr. Broderip ordered steps to be taken without delay to relieve the living, and to buy a piece of ground for the burial of the body.

28, Roy AL VISIT to firwon MANor, THE SEAT of SiR Robert PEEL.—The Duchess of Kent arrived at the Castle at eight o'clock this morning, to breakfast with the Queen and Prince Albert. At nine, the travellers set out for the Watford Station of the Birmingham Railway. The Queen and Prince Albert rode in the first carriage; in the next were Lady Portman, Lady in waiting, the Hon. Matilda Paget, Maid of Honour, the Earl of Jersey, Master of the Horse, and Mr. G. E. Anson, Secretary to the Prince. The Railway Company had made suitable preparations for the reception of their illustrious passengers: the entrance to the station, the staircase down to it (for it is in a deep cutting), the platform, and the waiting-room, were carpeted with crimson cloth; the station was decorated with flags and evergreens; and, as at all the principal towns, the richer inhabitants were admitted to the platform by ticket. A handsome and luxurious carriage had been quickly constructed for the use of the Queen, and was placed in the midst of a special train of five carriages and three trucks. Her Majesty and the Prince were conducted to it by Mr. Glyn, the Chairman, and other officers of the Company, who went with the train. The day was fine, and every point on the road was thronged by spectators. At Wolverton, the Queen and Prince alighted, and took some hasty refreshment. At Blisworth, the decorations usually displayed were varied by a company of the 64th Regiment ranged along the line; at Weedon, there was a similar parade, and a salute was fired from the battery. At Rugby, the scholars of the school, headed by the Master, the Reverend Dr. Tait, were drawn up on the platform. The engine and railwayofficers were changed at Hampton, where the train took the Derby line. Tamworth was reached at a quarter to three o'clock. Here, in a pavilion erected for the occasion, the Royal pair were received by Sir Robert Peel, his son, Mr. Robert Peel, and several distinguished ladies and gentlemen of the neighbourhood. Her Majesty passed to her carriage leaning on Sir Robert's arm ; and when he had handed her into it, the whole party moved at a moderate pace towards Tamworth; three companies of Staffordshire Yeomanry forming the escort. At the entrance of the town were stationed the Members of the Corporation, and the Mayor, kneeling, and suiting the action to the word, said, “I deliver to your Majesty the mace;” to which the Queen replied, “Take it, for it cannot be in better hands.” Addresses were also presented from the inhabitants of Tamworth and of the county. The cortège went on to Drayton Manor, Sir Robert Peel riding by the side of the carriage. On her arrival at that seat, the Queen was received by Lady Peel and a bevy of ladies, and conducted to a private apartment, where Her Majesty and the Prince partook of

luncheon. At eight o'clock Sir Robert Peel conducted the Queen to the dining-room, Prince Albert giving his arm to Lady Peel. The Queen wore a dress of pink silk and satin, adorned with lace, a profusion of emeralds and diamonds, and the insignia of the Garter. The other guests at table on that day were Earl Talbot, the Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch, Lady Portman, the Duke of Wellington, Archdeacon Lonsdale, Bishop of Lichfield elect, the Honourable Miss Paget, General Wemyss, Colonel Bouverie, Mr. Anson, Mr. Bramall, Mayor of Tamworth, Lieutenant - Colonel Monckton, and Mr. John Shaw Manley, High Sheriff of the county. Mr. Robert Peel was also of the party. After dinner the party withdrew to the library, and the Queen retired to rest soon after eleven o'clock. 29. Her Majestybreakfasted this morning at half-past eight, in her private apartment; and at eleven o'clock was walking in the grounds with Lady Peel and other ladies. At nine o'clock, Prince Albert, attended by Mr. Anson and Colonel Bouverie, set out for Birmingham; and reached the Railway station in that town about half-past ten o'clock. On the platform were stationed the Mayor and a number of the municipal authorities, Lord Warwick, and a crowd of ladies and gentlemen. A company of the Eighty-fourth Regiment formed a guard of honour; and a party of Lancers attended as an escort for the Royal carriage, which was in waiting. In the carriage with the Prince rode the Mayor, Mr. Anson, and Colonel Bouverie. As his royal Highness passed along, the pressure of the crowd was so great that many people were thrown down and trampled on; but no one was seriously hurt. Conducted by the Mayor and others, the Prince successively visited the glass-manufactory of Bacchus and Sons, Muntz's manufactory of patent yellow metal used for sheathing the bottoms of ships and other purposes, Jennings and Bettridge's manufactory of papiermache, Elkington and Co.'s electro-plating works, Armfield's gilt and silver plate manufactory; the Town Hall, the Free Grammar School, the School of Medicine, and the Proof House. At the Grammar School, the Prince took some refreshment with the Rev. Mr. Lee. On returning to the Railway-station, his Royal Highness was met by the Queen Dowager and Prince Edward of Saxe Weimer, who had come from Whitley Court to accompany him to Drayton Manor; and thither they proceeded. 30. Prince Albert went out shooting this morning, attended by Mr. Anson and the Earl of Jersey, and accompanied by Prince Edward, Sir Robert Peel, and the Duke of Buccleuch. First, the Prince, in a boat, went on the water, and shot two ducks; then, he turned to cover-shooting, and killed sixty pheasants, twenty-five hares, eight rabbits. and one woodcock; the whole party killed about 200 head of game. At two o'clock, the Queen and Prince Albert, with the principal visiters, set out for a visit to Lichfield. The road thither was peopled by groupes in holidayclothes, and adorned here and there with triumphal arches of evergreen. At the entrance of the town itself, the Corporation received the Sovereign with the

usual formalities; and the streets and windows were crowded. The party went to view the cathedral —the Dean and other clerical authorities being in attendance; and returned to Drayton, Manor by a quarter-past four o'clock. In the evening there was a levee; at which the principal gentry of the neighbourhood were presented to their Sovereign. — In the Court of Exchequer Mr. John Dennis Blake, late a landing-waiter of the Customhouse, was condemned in a penalty of 4,350l. for having been concerned in the fraudulent unshipment of silk goods imported by Messrs. Dean and Candy, without payment of the proper duty, in June 1840. The penalty is treble the amount of the duty evaded.


1. The illustrious visitors took their departure to-day, having first, however, walked in the grounds, and the Prince also spent a short time in duck-shooting. At ten o'clock, the Queen and her consort entered their carriage, accompanied by Sir Robert and Lady Peel and Earl Talbot. At Drayton, Fazeley, and Tamworth, crowds were collected, with the usual show of delight; and such was the case throughout the route. At the Tamworth station of the Birmingham and Derby Railway, Sir Robert and his immediate companions took their leave. The Royal travellers departed by a special train for Derby; and thence, by the North Midland Railway, to Chesterfield; the authorities of the two railways being in attendance. The Duke of Devonshire, accompanied by the local authorities, lay and clerical, received Queen Victoria at the station; and, leaning on his arm, her Majesty repaired to a private apartment which had been prepared for her reception; Prince Albert accompanying her. In a few minutes, the Duke conducted her Majesty to the carriage; and escorted by a troop of Derbyshire Yeomanry, the whole party proceeded to the Duke's seat, Chatsworth ; and entered the grounds about one o'clock. — Roy AL Visits to CHATsworth, THE SEAT of THE DUKE of DEvoNshi RE, AND Belvoir, THE SEAT of THE DURE of RUTLAND.—Queen Victoria entered the grounds of Chatsworth, the Duke of Devonshire's seat in the Peak of Derbyshire, about two o'clock to-day. At least 20,000 persons were collected in the grounds to witness her arrival, 7,000 having come by railway from Sheffield. To give proper effect to the occasion, a company of the Artillery had been brought down from Woolwich, with a battery of eight eighteen-pounders: they were placed round the Stand, an old tower on the heights, and a royal salute announced the arrival of the Queen. After partaking of a sumptuous dejeuner in the saloon, her Majesty, Prince Albert, and the chief guests, walked through the orangery to the bastion at the West end of the mansion, and thence descended into the garden below. While the party were in the garden, arrived the Duke of Wellington; with whom the Queen heartily shook hands. Dinner was served at half-past seven o'clock; covers being laid for about fifty guests; among whom were the Marquis and Marchioness of Nor

manby, the Duchess of Buccleuch, Viscount and Viscountess Emlyn, Viscount Melbourne, Viscount Morpeth and Lady Mary Howard, the Duke and Duchess of Bedford, Lord Alvanley, Lord Beauvale, Lord Alfred Paget, the Honourable Charles Gore, Sir Augustus Clifford, and Lord Leveson, besides several members of the Cavendish family. Viscount and Viscountess Palmerston arrived subsequently. After the dinner there was a grand ball, to which the gentry of the neighbourhood were invited; the names of the Arkwright and Strutt families being conspicuous. The Queen opened the ball with the Duke of Devonshire; Prince Albert dancing with Lady Louisa Cavendish. The Queen subsequently danced with Lord Morpeth and Lord Leveson; and in a waltz “her . Majesty selected, most happily, her Royal Consort.” The Queen retired to the supperroom at twelve o'clock; to rest, at One. 2. Her Majesty and the Prince breakfasted, as usual, soon after eight o'clock to-day, in their private apartment. About noon, several of the guests went to have a battue in the paddocks; and soon afterwards, Prince Albert went to survey the Duke's farm. Meanwhile, the Mayor of Sheffield arrived with addresses for the Queen and Prince ; which he delivered to the Earl of Jersey. At halfpast two, the party went over in carriages to Haddon Hall, on the banks of the Wye, once the seat of the Vernons, but now the Duke of Devonshire's property. The road home passed through Bakewell and other villages; thronged with loyal sightseers. At six, the party went to see the spacious conservatory, splendidly illuminated ; and at night, after dinner, there was a most gorgeous display of fireworks in the grounds— A concert was performed during the illuminations. 3. To-day (Sunday) the Queen and the other guests viewed the extensive arboretum, the botanical gardens, and the kitchen-gardens; and then went in carriages to a beautiful village, Edensor, three quarters of a mile from the house. Prince Albert walked thither on foot, accompanied by Lord Palmerston, Lord Normanby, and Mr. Anson. Returning homeward, the party visited the farmyard, and saw a prize pig, weighing seventy stone. In the evening there was a concert of sacred music. 4. The Royal guests took their leave this morning, at nine o'clock. The Duke of Devonshire preceded them to the station at Chesterfield, and accompanied the Royal train as far as Derby; where he bowed his final adieux from the platform of the station. The Queen and Prince Albert went on, by railway, to Nottingham; their journey marked by the usual attentions from railway officials, and the usual tokens of loyalty from the crowded spectators. At the Nottingham station, the illustrious tourists were received by the Earl of Scarborough, Lord-Lieutenant, Lord Rancliffe, the Mayor of Nottingham, and other gentlemen; and, after a brief delay, proceeded in carriages to Belvoir, under an escort of Enniskillen Dragoons. The Duke of Rutland was stationed at the head of 200 of his tenantry, at Red Mile, three miles from Belvoir; and thus he escorted his august guests to his castle; where they arrived at half-past one o'clock.

Some time after, the rev. Dr. Stanton presented to her Majesty the key of Stanton Tower; a ceremony required by the tenure of the estate. A numerous party sat down to dinner at eight o'clock; including the Queen Dowager, the Duke and Duchess of Bedford, Lord and Lady Hardwicke, Lord and Lady Brownlow, Sir Robert and Lady Peel, the Duke of Wellington, Earl Howe, Lady Portman, the Earl of Jersey, General Wemyss, Lord Forester, the Earl of Wilton, Sir Frederick Trench, Earl Jermyn and Lady Catherine Jermyn, Mr. and Lady Emily Drummond, Mr. Wortley and Lady Emmeline Stuart Wortley, the Marquis of Granby, Lord John Manners, and others of the Duke's relatives.

5. To-day there was a fox-hunt with the Belvoir hounds. Prince Albert, the Duke of Wellington, and several other noblemen, joined the sport; nearly the whole of the Melton Hunt was on the field; and the Queen and other ladies went to Croxton in carriages, to see the hounds throw off. Prince Albert's immediate attendants were the Duke of Wellington, the Marquis of Granby, the Earl of Wilton, Lord Forester, and Mr. Anson; but the Duke only accompanied the hunting party to Melton Spinney, and then returned to the Castle. The whole of the party returned about five o'clock. Before dinner, the Mayors of Leicester and Grantham presented addresses to the Queen and Prince Albert from their respective boroughs; and afterwards dined at the Royal table; the Earl and Countess of Wilton also being among the new-come guests. In the evening, the Queen played at whist. "

« ForrigeFortsett »