« ForrigeFortsett »
1. Give examples from Dr. Arnott of the another? What are the divisions of stratiwonders of civilization:
fied rocks! 2. Give examples from Adam Smith of the
2. Give some account of the different division of labour.
kinds of organic remains, and of the strata 3. Give an abstract of the lesson on the in which they are found. Dritish Constitution.
3. Give some account of the organı of
digestion and respiration. Section VI.
Give an abstract of one of the lessons 1. In what manner are stratified and un- entitled as follows:-1. The animal economy. stratibed rocks found associated with one 2. Aqueous vapour. 3. First lines in optic
1. Show how it may be determined, by Describe and explain one of the following geometrical construction, whether the wali instruments :-). barometer. 2. An air- of a reservoir will stand or not, and prove pump. 3. An electrifying machine and fully the rule you use. the Leyden jar.
2. Wanting to determine the quantity of Section II.
water discharged per minute from a pipe, I Describe and explain one of the following which is a rectangular aperture which I can
place under it a vessel, in the bottom of machines :-). A locomotive engine. 2. A
close by means of a slide. I find that when hydraulic ram and a fire-engine. 3. A
the dimensions of the aperture are 4 inches clock,
by 3, the water stands steadily in the reserSection III.
voir at a height of three feet. What is the
efflux per minute from the pipe, neglecting 1. What must be the diameter of an iron
the effects of contraction lj wire to sustain 11 cwt., the tenacity of the iron being 25 tons per square inch?
3. Given the number of units of work, u, dry the hold of a ship which contains 3,000 beneath the bottom of the barrel, and tie
2. How long will ten men be in pumping which a man can do on each stroke of a cubic feet of water, the centre of gravity
of section, k, of the barrel; it is required to the water being 14 feet below the deck, and cach man being supposed to yield 1,500 whole work on each stroke may just be
find the length of the stroke, so that the units of effective work per minute !
expended in raising the water. 3. Describe the wheel and double axle, and show how the relation of the power to 4. What experiments show the influence weight may be determined in this machine. of the state of the surface of a body on the
radiation of its heat, and what experiments Section IV.
shew the existence of a latent heat 1. What experiments serve best to show 5. Explain fully what is meant by the law the expansion of metals, and the currents of chemical equivalents, and what by that of prodnced in liquids and gases by the appli- gaseous volumes. Give some account of cation of heat ?
chemical nomenclature and chemical nota
tion. 2. Give some account of nitrogen and of its compounds.
6. What are the chemical properties of 3. By what different methods may, the oils and fats? What application is made of chemical constitution of water be ascertained. those properties to the uses of life!
QUESTIONS IN FARMING.
1. Write out a Farmers' Calendar from 3. What is meant by the fore-course February to June.
system? What are the advantages of keep2. How has the ground to be prepared for ing up stock as compared with pasture! turnips? What is the time for sowing what rules are to be observed in applying them? What rules are to be observed in liquid manure ? boeing turnips !
To avoid fine, this book should be returned on
or before the date last stamped below
JUL 11 1983