« ForrigeFortsett »
The Institution of this Sacrament by Christ
as recorded by St. Matthew, St. Mark, St. Luke, and St. Paul.
MATT. xxvi. Mark, xiv. Luke, xxii. 1 Cor. xi.
The night in which the Lord Jesus was betrayed, as they were eating, or did cat, Jesus took bread, and giving thanks, blessed it, and brake it, and gave it unto his disciples, and said, “ Take, eat, this is “ my body, which is given and broken for “ you: Do this in remembrance of me.” After supper likewise, having taken the cup, and given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “ Drink ye all of this, for this cup “is my blood of the new covenant, the “ new covenant in my blood, which is
“shed for you, for many, for the remis
sion of sins: This do ye, as oft as ye “ drink it, in remembrance of me (and “ they all drank of it): Verily, I say unto “ you, I will drink no more of this fruit “ of the vine until that day when I shall “ drink it new with you in the kingdom “ of my Father, in the kingdom of God." And when they had sung an hymn, they went out to the mount of Olives.
The 30. They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see and believe thee? what doest thou work ?
The Passages in the Sixth Chapter of the
Gospel of St. John, referred to in the
John, vi. 26.
Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but becaúe ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
27. Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you; for him hath God the Father sealed.
28. Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29. Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Z. 30. They
31. Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
32. Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, . verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33. For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
34. Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
35. And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. * * * *
47. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me shall have everlasting life.
48. I am that bread of life.
49. Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50. This is the bread which cometh
down from heaven, that a man inay eat thereof, and not die.
51. I ain the living bread which came down from heaven: If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
52. The Jews therefore strove amongst themslves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
53. Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55. For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him
57. As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eatcth me, even he shall live by me.
58. This is that bread which came down from heaven; not as your fathers