« ForrigeFortsett »
66. MEMOIRS of the COURT of QUEEN ELIZABETH. By LUCY AIKIN. 6th Edition. 2 Vols. 8vo. 11. 58. Bds.
Also may be had, MEMOIRS of the COURT of KING ANNALS of the REIGN of GEORGE JAMES the FIRST. By LUCY AIKIN. the THIRD. _By John AIKIN, M.D. 2 Vols. 8vo. 3d Edit. ll. 4s. Bds.
vols. 8vo. 3d Edition, 25s, bds.
LETTERS to a YOUNG NATURALIST on the STUDY of NATURE and NATURAL THEOLOGY. By James L. DRUMMOND, M.D. Professor of Anatomy and Physiology in the Belfast Academical Institution. 12mo.with Cuts, 10s.bd. bds.
“ Happily calculated to generate in a young mind, to sustain in the matured, and to renovate in the old, an ardent love of nature under all her forms."- Monthly Review.
By the same Author, FIRST STEPS to BOTANY,
intended as popular Illustrations of the Science, leading to its Study as a Branch of Education. 12mo. numerous Woodcuts. 3d Edit. 98.
“ This answers more completely to the proper notion of an Introduction to Botany than any work we have seen.' Eclectic Review.
The ELEMENTS of PLANE GEOMETRY. By THOMAS KEITH. 8vo. 3d edit. 108.6d. Bds.
By the same Author, INTRODUCTION to the Theory and
tion of Youth. J2mo. with Plates, new Practice of PLANE aud SPHERICAL
edit. 6s. Bds. TRIGONOMETRY. 8vo. 5th edition, improved, 14s. Bds.
SYSTEM of GEOGRAPHY, for the NEW TREATISE on the USE of Use of Schools. 12mo. illustrated by the GLOBES, Designed for the Instruc.
Maps and Plates, 6s. Bd.
69. An ILLUSTRATED INTRODUCTION to LAMARCK'S CONCHOLOGY, contained in his Histoire Naturelle des Animanx sans Vertèbres ; being a Literal Translation of the Descriptions of the recent and Fossil Genera, accompanied by Twenty-two highly-finished Lithographic Plates, in which are given Instruetive Views of the various Genera and their Divisions, drawn from Nature, from characteristic and generally well-known Species. By EDMUND A. CROUCH, F.L.8. Royal 4to. Price ll. lls. 6d. plain, or 31. 38. coloured.
Also, An EPITOME of LAMARCK’S ARRANGEMENT of TESTACEA : with Illustrative Observations and comparative Tables of the Systems of Linnæus and Lamarck. By C, DUBOIS, F.L.S. and F.H.S. 8vo. Price 14s. Bds.
70. RODERICK, the LAST of the GOTHS: a Poem. By ROBERT SOUTHEY, LL, D. &c. &c. 2 Vols, fcap. 8vo. 168. bds.
By the same Author, THALABA, 2 Vols. 16s.; Madoc, 2 108.6d.; Carmen Triumphale; and Car. Vols. 163.; Curse ot Kehama, 2 Vols. 14s.;
men Aulica, for 1814, 5s. Minor Poems, 3 Vols. 18s.; Pilgrimage to A VISION of JUDGMENT, a Poem. Waterloo, 10s. 6d.; Tale of Paraguay, Ato. 15s. Bds.
SOCIAL LIFE in ENGLAND and FRANCE, from the French Revolution of 1789 to that of 1830. By the EDITOR OF MADAME DU DEFFAND'S LETTERS. 8v0. 79. bds.
“ Remarkable for its well selected information, and for its application of liberal and enlightened opinions to the history of manners."-Spectator.
By the same Author, A COMPARATIVE VIEW of the SOCIAL LIFE of ENGLAND and FRANCE, from the Restoration of Charles the Second to the French Revolution of 1789. 8yo38, bds.
FAMILY SHAKSPEARE; in which nothing is added to the Original Text; but those words and Expressions are omitted which cannot with propriety be read aloud in a family. By Thomas BOWDLER, Esq. F.R.S. &c. New Edition.
In 1 large vol. 8vo. with Illustrations hy Smirke, Howard, &c. engraved on wood by Thomson. 30s. in cloth; or 31s. 6d, with gilt edges.
The same work, without illustrativos, in 10 vols. royal 18mo. 31. 3s. bds; and in 8 vols. 8vo. 41. 148. 6d.
We are of opinion, that it requires nothing more than a notice to bring this very meritorious publication into general circulation."- Edin. Rev.
By the same Editor, GIBBON'S HISTORY of the ROMAN EMPIRE: for the Use of Families and Young Persons. Reprinted from the original Text, with the careful Omission of all Passages of an irreligious or immoral Tendency. 5 Vols. 8vo. 31. 33. Bds.
73. MANUAL of the LAND and FRESH-WATER SHELLS of the BRITISH ISLANDS, described from perfect Specimens in the Author's Cabinet : with an Index of English Names By W'. TURTON, M.D. Foolscap 8vo. with 10 coloured Plates, cumprising Figures of 150 Specimens. 10. 6u, in cloth.
74. A SERIES of 75 COMPOSITIONS to illustrate the ILIAD and ODYSSEY of Hoser, with Descriptions of their subjects, and extracts from Pope's translation upon each plate. The dresses, babits, armour, implements of war, &c., are all of Classical authority. By PROFESSOR FLAXMAN, 2 Vols. 21. 28. each.
By the same Author,
75. TREATISE on the VALUATION of PROPERTY for the POOR'S RATE; shewing the Method of rating Lands, Tithes, Woods, &c. With an Abstract of the Poor Laws relating to Rates and Appeals." By J. S. BAYLDON, Land Agent and Appraiser. 8vo. 78. 6d. bds.
By the same Author, ART of VALUING RENTS and TILLAGES, and the Tenant's Right on entering and quitting Farms explained. For the Use of Landlords, Land-Agents, Appraisers, Farmers, and Tenants, 8vo. 4th Edit. corrected and enlarged, 7s. Bus.
76. SKETCH of ANCIENT and MODERN GEOGRAPHY, for the Use of Schools. By SAMUEL BUTLER, D.D.F.R.S. and S.A. &c. Archdeacon of Derby, Head Master of the Royal Free Grammar School of Shrewsbury. Ninth Edition, 8vo. 9s. Bds.- To the present edition the Author has made some very important additions, chiefly in the Modern of it.
By the same Author, ATLAS of MODERN GEOGRA OUTLINE GEOGRAPHICAL CO.
PHY, consisting of 22 Coloured Maps, PY-BOOKS, 4to, with the Lines of Lafrom a New Set of Plates, with a com titude and Longitude only; inteuded as plete Index of all the Names. 128. half Practical Exercises for the Pupil to bill bound.
up, from Dr. Butier's Atlases of Ancient
and Modern Geography. 4s. each, sewed ; ATLAS of ANCIENT GEOGRA
or 78. 60. together. PHY, consisting of 21 Coloured Maps with a complete accentuated Index. 12s. OUTLINE MAPS of ANCIENT half-bound.
GEOGRAPHY; being a Selection, by
Ancient GENERAL ATLAS of ANCIENT
Dr. Butler, from D'Anville's
Atlas : intended as Practical Exercises and MODERN GEOGRAPHY, 43 Co. for the Pupil to fill up. Folio, 10s. 6d. loured Maps, and two Indexes. 11. 4s. balf-bound.
PRAXIS on the LATIN PREPO. *** The Indexes, now for the first time SITIONS, being an Attempt to illustrate appended to these Atlases, contain the la. their Origin, Power, and Signification, in titude and longitude of all the places : aud the way of Exercise. 8vo.4th Edit.78.6d.bd. in that of the Ancient Atlas, the quantities are also marked.
KEY to the same. 8v0. 6s. bds.
By the same Author,
Methods of preserving Insects, Birds, &c. 4th Edit. 5s. bds.
By the same Author,
12mo. Frontispiece.5s.hf.-bd.and lettered. 2d Edit. 5s, hf.-bd. and letterede REFLECTION. A Tale. Frontis PATIENCE A Tale. Frontispiece. piece. 53. hf.-bd. and lettered.
2d Edit. 5s. hf..bd. and lettered. MODERATION. A Tale, Fron INTEGRITY. A Tale. Frontistispiece. 58. hf.-bd, and lettered.
piece. 5s. hf.-bd. and lettered. 2d Edit.
By the same Author,
DOMESTIC DUTIES; or, Instructions to Young Married Ladies, on the Management of their Households, and the Regulation of their Conduct. By Mrs. WILLIAM PARKES. 12ino3d Edit. 10s. 6d. Bds.
" The volume before us is a perfect vade mecum for the young married lady, who may resort to it on all questions of houselu d economy and etiquette."- Neto Monthly Mag.
82. The HISTORY of the CRUSADES, for the Recovery and Possession of the HOIY LAND. By CHARLES MILLS, Esq. In 2 Vols. 8vo. 4th Edit. with a Portrait and Memoir of the Author. Price 11. 58.
The Memoir separate, with Portrait, 48. sewed.
By the same Author, The HISTORY of CHIVALRY, or Knighthood and its Times. 2d Edit. 2 Vols. 8vo. 11. 4s. Bds.
• This was an appropriate undertaking for the ahle author of the Crusades, aud he bas executed it with equal learning, fidelity, and elegance."- Monthly Review.
83. ART of FRENCH COOKERY. By A. B. BEAUVILLIERS, Restaurateur, Paris. 12mo. 3d Edit. 78. Bds. printed uniformly with the “ DOMESTIC COOKERY.”
The object of this work is to enable Cooks, Confectioners, or Amateurs, with the assis. tance of the commonest cook, to make a great display and excellent cheer, by the simplest and most economical means.
By the same Author,
TURE and ARCHEOLOGY of the MID imp. 4to. 41. 4s. ; sup.-roy.fol. 81. 16s. Bds.
Wells, with 24 Engravings, med. 4to. 21. 108.;
imp.41.4s. ; sup.-roy tol. 81.16s. ; or with
proofs and etchings, 161. 16s.
Gloucester, 22 Engravings and 2 Woodcuts,
Bristol, 14 Engravings, med. 4to. Il. 48. ;
imp. 4to. 21. 2s.
Hereford, with 16 Engravings, med. 11. 18s.;
imp. 31. 3s. ; supo-roy. fol. 61. 6s.
The HISTORY and ANTIQUITJES
med. 4to. 31. 38.; imp. 4to. 51. 58.; cr. fol. Engravings, by J. and H. LE KEUX,
from Drawings by MACKENZIE, &c. Royal
imp. 4to. 41. 4s.; cr. fol. 61. 10s.; sup.-
The HISTORY and ILLUSTRA
TION of REDCLIFFE
Bristol. RI. 8vo. 16s; imp. 4to. 11.1ls.6d.
The ARCHITECTURAL ANTIQUI-
TIES of GREAT BRITAIN. In 4 Vols.
Med. 4to. 211. ; or Imp. 4to. 321. half-bd.
imp. 4to. 51. 58.; cr. fol. 81. ; sup.-roy. CAL ILLUSTRATIONS of the AN.
CIENT ARCHITECTURE of GREAT
BRITAIN. By J. BRITTON, F.S.A. &c.
• To correspond with the "Architectural Au. imp. 51. 58.; sup.-roy. fol. 111. Bds.
tiquities," of which this work forms the 5th Volume The ARCHITECTURAL ANTIQUITIES may be purchased in Ten Separate Parts, boards, at Two Guineas each. Parts XI. and XII. at 21. 8s. each; and Part XIII. which completes the Fifth Volume, or Chronological Series, 11. 16s.
" These volumes are composed with an intimate knowledge of the subject, with an undeviating aim
Also, by Sir J. E. SMITH,
NICÆ. Price 7s. 6d. Fifth Edition.
An INTRODUCTION to the STUDY
of PHYSIOLOGICAL and SYSTEMA-
TICAL BOTANY. In 8vo. 6th Edit. of Plants. 2d Edit. 12s.; or coloured
with 15 Plates, Price 143. plain ; or coplates, 11. Ils. 60.
loured, 11. 88. Bds.
86. PEN TAMAR; or, the History of an Old Maid. By the late Mrs. H. M. BOWDIER. Second Edition. Post 8vo. 10s. 6d. bds. “ Written with great simplicity, and in the most engaging spirit of benevolence."- Monthly Revics
The HISTORY of the REIGN of GEORGE the THIRD. ROBERT Bisset, LL.D. Author of the Life of Burke, &c. &c. A new Edition, completed to the Death of the King, in 6 Vols. 8vo. Price 31. 3s. bds.
88. INSTRUCTIONS to YOUNG SPORTSMEN in all that relates to Guns and Shooting ; Difference between the Flint and Percussion System; PRES SRVATION of GAME ; Getting Access to all Kinds of Birds ; Specific Directions, with bey Apparatus, for Wild Fowl SHOOTING, both on the Coast and in Fresh Water ; New Directions for Trout FISHING ; and Advice to the Young Sportsman on other Subjects. By Lieut. Col. P. HAWKER. 8vo. 6th Edit. enlarged and improved, with an ABRIDGMENT of the New GAME Laws, and 30 Plates and Woodcuts, 188. in cloth.
“Col. Hawker is one of the best shots in England, and his ‘Instructions to Sportsmen' the very best book we have on the subject."-Blackwood's Magazine.
89. The GOOD NURSE; or Hints on the Management of the Sick and Lying-in Chamber and Nursery. Second Edition, with Additions, and Recom. mendatory Letters from Sir Astley Cooper, Dr. Babington, Dr. Paris, Dr. Lister, &e. Dedicated by permission to Mrs Fry. With a Portrait of the Author. Price 8s.
N. B. The property of the Family having been invaded, it is necessary to state, that these are the only
92. SELECT WORKS of the BRITISH POETS, from JONSON to BEATTIE. With Biographical and Critical Prefaces. By DR. AIRIN. Complete in I Vol. 8vo. for Schools, &c. 188. in cloth; or neatly done up, gilt edges, 20s. Also, in 10 Vols. post 18mo. price 21. ; in royal 18mo. to match the British Essayists and Novelists, 31.
93. SELECT WORKS of the BRITISH POETS, from CHAUCER to WITHERS. With Biographical Sketches. By ROBERT SOUTHEY, LL.D. Poet Laureate. | vol. 8vo. uniform with “ Aikin's Poets," 30s. in cloth ; or neatly done up, with gilt edges, ll. 118.6d.
94. A VOYAGE TOWARDS the SOUTH POLE ; containing an Examination of the Antarctic Sea, to the Seventy-Fourth Degree of Latitude; and a Visit to Tierra Del Fuego. By James WEDDELL, Master in the Royal Navy. Second Edition. 8vo. with numerous Maps, Plates, &c. Price 18s. bds.
"Mr. Weddell's volume deserves to find a place on the shelf of every library that pretends to a collection of Voyages and Travels."-Quarterly Reviero.
95. TRAVELS in PALESTINE, through the Countries of BASAAN and GILEAN, East of the River JORDAN ; iucluding a Visit to the Cities of Geraza and Gamala, in the Decapolis. By J. S. BUCKINGHAM, Esq. 2 vols. 8vo. 2d Edit. with Maps, Plates, and Vignettes, 11. Ils.6d. Bds.
"Mr. Buckingham is a very clever, observant, and meritorious traveller."- Bclectic Review.