mined to haul off and renew the attack next morning. We beat up in good order, under a beavy fire from the Royal George and batteries, to Four Mile Point, where we anchored. It blew heavy in squalls from the westward during the night, and there was every appearance of a gale of wind. The pilots became alarmed, and I thought it most prudent to get into a place of more safety. I therefore (very reluctantly) deferred renewing the attack upon the ship and forts until a more favourable opportunity.

At 7 A. M. on the 10th, I made the signal to weigh, and we beat out of a very narrow channel, under a very heavy press of sail to the open lake. At 10 we fell in with the Governor Simcoe, running for Kingston, and chased her in the harbour. She escaped by running over a reef of rocks, under a heavy fire from the Governor Tompkins, the Hamilton, and the Julia, which cut her very much. All her people ran below while under the fire of these vessels. The Hamilton chased her into nine feet water before she hauled off. We tacked to the southward with an inten: tion of running to our station at the Ducks, but it coming on to blow very heavy, the pilots told me it would be unsafe to keep the lake.

“ In our passage through the Bay of Quanti, I discovered a schooner at the village of Armingstown, which we took possession of, but finding she would detain us, (being then in chase of the Royal George) I ordered Lieut. Macpherson to take out her sails and rigging and burn her, which he did. We also took the schooner Mary Hall from Niagara, at the mouth of Kingston harbour, and took her with us to our anchorage. The next morning, finding that she could not beat through the channel with us, I ordered the sailing master in the Growler to take her under convoy and run down past Kingston, anchor on the east end of Long Island and wait for a wind to come up on the east side.

I was also in hopes that the Royal George might be induced to follow her for the purpose of re taking our prize, but her commander was too well aware of the consequences to leave his moorings.

“ We lost in this affair, one man killed and three slightly wounded, with a few shot through our sails. The other vessels lost no men, and received but little injury in their hull and sails, with the exception of the Pert, whose gun bursted in the early part of the action, and wounded her commander, (sailing master Arundel) badly, and a midshipman and three men slightly. Mr. Arundal, who refused to quit the deck although wounded, was knocked overboard in beating up to our anchorage, and I am sorry to say was drowned.

“ The Royal George must have received very considerable injury in he hull and in men, as the gun vessels with a long 32 pounder, were seen to strike her almost every shot, and it was

observed that she was reinforced with troops four different times during the action.

“ I have great pleasure in saying, that the officers and men on board every vessel behaved with the utmost coolness, and are extremely anxious to meet the enemy on the open lake ; and as long as I have the honour to command such officers and such men, I have no doubt of the result.”

The following, a more detailed account of the action in Kirgston harbour, is taken from the notes of an officer on board the fleet during the action :

" At 50 minutes after 2, set top gallant sails ; 5 minutes after 3, the batteries on India and Navy points opened their fire on the leading vessels. Lieut. Elliot of the Conquest pushed forward, and went in the handsomest style : he was followed by the Julia, Frant....Pert, Aurundle....Growler, Mix; next came the brig bearing the commodore's broad pendant....then the Hamilton, Lieut M'Pherson, and Governor Tompkins, Lieut. Brown, who was far astern, havins been despatched in the early part of the day on particular business. 12 minutes after 3, Lieut. Elliot opened his fire ; 15 minutes after 3, the Pert; Growler, and Julia commenced their's ; 20 minutes after 3, batteries opened on the brig, and she sustained the principal part of the fire during the remain. der of the action ; 22 minutes after 3, signal, “ engage closer," thrown out, and answered by all ; 25 mivutes after 3, the Pert's gun burst ; Aurundel wounded badly....(he wasafterwards knocked over by the boom, and drowned !); 30 minutes after 3, Garnet killed aboard the brig; 40 minutes after 3, brig opened her fire. on the ship, and the ship on the Hamilton ; fire continued with astonishing alacrity.

4 o'clock, ship George cut her cables and run away further up the bay.

The squadron is now exposed to the cross fire of five batteries, of flying artillery, of the ship with springs on her cables so as to enable her to bring her guns to bear. The Governor Tompkins now bears up in the bay and opens her fire! and the firing becomes general and very warm ! Showers of round and grape fall around us.

“ Half past 4, hauled by the wind, and began to beat out of the bay, as night was closing in, and the prospect, blowing weather ....anchored two miles out in full sight.....heavy gales all night..... continued in sight next day....the Royal George was too prudent to venture out.

“ Our sailors had no grog: they need no stimulous of that kind ; they seem to have no fear of death. I was by the side of Garnet a few moments before he fell. He was laughing heartily, and in that act was cut in two by a nine pound shot. I afterwards saw his countenance ; it seemed as if the smile had not yet

left it. This disaster only exasperated our seamen ; they prayed and entreated to be laid close aboard the Royal George only 5 minutes, “ just to revenge Garnet's death."

One incident deserves notice, which does great honour to Capt. Chauncy..... When going into the harbour, he directed the squadron to level their fire as much as possible against the Royal George and batteries, as it was not his wish to do injury to individuals, by beating down the houses at Kingston.

Operations on lake Erie..... On the morning of the 8th October, two British vessels, the Detroit and Caledonia, came down the lake and anchored under the guns of fort Erie. Lieut. Elliot, then at Black Rock, had the superintendance of our naval affairs on that lake. He immediately conceived a project for their capture, though his seamen had not then arrived : and in the morning of the succeeding day most gallantly effected his object, as related in the following extract from his official letter to the Secre. tary of the Navy :

“ On the morning of the 8th Oct. two British vessels, which I was informed were his Britannic majesty's brigs Detroit, late the United States' brig Adams, and the brig Hunter, mounting 14 guns, but which afterwards proved to be the brig Caledonia, both said to be well armed and manned, came down the lake and anchored under the protection of fort Erie. Having been on the lines for some time, and in a measure inactively employed, I de. termined to make an attack, and if possible get possession of them. A strong inducement to this attempt arose from a conviction that with these two vessels, added to those which I have purchased and am fitting out, I should be able to meet the remainder of the British'force on the upper lakes, and save an incalculable expence and labour to the government. On the morning of their arrival I heard that our seamen were but a short distance from this place, and immediately despatched an express to the officers directing them to use all possible dispatch in getting their men to this place, as I had important service to perform. On their arrival, which was about 12 o'clock, I discovered that they had only 20 pistols, and neither cutlasses or battle axes. But on application to Gens. Smith and Hall, of the regulars and militia, I was supplied with a few arms, and Gen. Smith was so good on my request, as immediately to detach fifty men from the regulars, armed with muskets.

“ By 4 o'clock in the afternoon, I had my men selected and stationed in two boats, which I had previously prepared for the purpose. With these boats, fifty men in each, and under circumstances very disadvantageous, my men having scarcely had time to refresh themselves after a fatiguing march of 500 miles, I put

off from the mouth of Buffalo creek, at 1 o'clock the following morning, and at 3 I was along side the vessels.

In the space of about 10 minntes I had the prisoners all secured, the topsails sheeted home, and the vessels under way. Unfortunately the wind was not sufficiently strong to get up a rapid current into the lake, where I had understood another armed vessel lay at auchor, and I was obliged to run down the river by the forts, under a heavy fire of round, grape, and canister, from a dumber of pieces of heavy ordnance and several pieces of flying artillery, was compelled to anchor at a distance of about 400 yards from two of their batteries. After the discharge of the first gun, which was from the flying artillery, I hailed the shore, and observed to the offi. cer, that if another gun was fired I would bring the prisoners on deck, and expose them to the same fate we should all share..... but notwithstanding they disregarded the caution, and continued a constant and destructive fire. One single moment's reflection determined me not to commit an act that would subject me to the imputation of barbarity The Caledonia had been beached in as safe a position as the circumstances would admit of, under one of our batteries at Black Rock. I now brought all the guns of the Detroit on one side next the enemy, stationed the men at them, and directed a fire which was continued as long as our ammuni. tion lasted, and circumstances permitted. During the contest I endeavored to get the Detroit on our side, by sounding a line, there being no wind on shore, with all the line I could muster ; but the current being so strong the boat could not reach the shore. I then hailed our shore, and requested that warps would be made fast on land, and sent on board ; the attempt to all which again proved useless. As the fire was such as would in all probability, sink the vessel in a short time, I determined to drift down the riper out of reach of the batteries, and make a stand against the flying artillery. I accordingly cut the cable, made sail with very light airs, and at that instant discovered that the pilot bad abandoned me.

I dropped astern for about ten minutes, when I was brought up on our shore on Squaw the boarding boat ready, had the prisoners put in and sent on shore, with directions for the officer to return for me and what property we could get from the brig. He did not return, owing to the difficulty in the boat's getting on shore. Discovering a skiff under the counter, I put the four remaining prisoners in a boat, and with my officers I went on shore to bring the boat off. I asked for protection to the brig, of Lieut. Col. Scott, who readily gave it. At this moment I discovered a boat with about 40 soldiers from the British side, making for the brig. They got on board, but were soon compelled to abandon her, with the loss of nearly all their men. During the whole of this morning, both sides of the river kept up alternately a continued fire on the brig, and so much injured her

that it was impossible to have floated her. Before I left her, she had several heavy shot of large size in her bends, her sails in ribbons, and riggiug all cut to pieces.

“ To my officers and men I feel under great obligation. To Capt. Towson and Lieut. Roach of the 2d regiment of artillery, Ensign Prestman, of the infantry, Capt. Chapin, Mr. John N'Comb, Messrs. John Town, Thomas Dain, Peter Overstocks, and James Sloan, resident gentlemen of Buffalo, for their soldier and sailor-like conduct. In a word, sir, every man fought as if with their hearts animated only by the interest and honour of their country.

“ The prisoners I have turned over to the military. The De troit mounted six 6 pound long guns, commanding Lieut. marines, a boatswain and gunner, and 56 men..... about 30 American priseners on board, muskets, pistols, cutlasses and battle-axes. In boarding her I lost one man, one officer wounded, Mr. John C. Cummings, acting midshipman, a bayonet through the leg....his conduct was correct, and deserves the notice of the department. The Caledonia mounted two small guns, blunderbusses, pistols, muskets, cutlasses and boarding pikes, 12 men including officers, 10 prisoners on board. The boat boarding her, commanded by sailing master George Watts, performed his duty in a masterly style. But one man killed, and four wounded badly, I am afraid mortally.”

About three o'clock in the afternoon of the same day, the British boarded the Detroit the second time, and were again dislodged, with the loss of three prisoners, and several wounded. She was afterwards burned by the Americans, after having secured her stores and armament. The Caledonia, having on board a cargo of fur, valued at 150,000 dollars, was safely moored under the batteries at Black Rock.

Biography of Capt. Elliot..... The following biographical notice of Lieut, now Capt. Elliot, is from the Port Folio, and we think cannot fail of being interesting :

JESSE DUNCAN ELLIOT was born in Maryland, on the 14th of July, 1780. His father, Robert Elliot, was unfortunately slain by the Indians in the year 1794, near the Muskingum river, while transacting business for the army of the United States. ticular nature of this business may be known by the resolution of congress, passed on this melancholy event: “ Be it enacted, &c. that the sum of two thousand dollars be allowed to the widow of Robert Elliot, who was killed by a party of hostile Indians while he was conducting the necessary supplies for the army commanded h: Majır Gen. Wa ayre in the year 1794, and that the sum be paid to her, to and for the use of herself and the children of the

The par

« ForrigeFortsett »