Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 51
Curiously, Barents failed to note—or at least did not report—the presence of
whales off Bear Island and Spitsbergen when discovering these islands in 1596,
and it was not until 1612 that Dutch whalers began to visit Svalbard. In 1614 ...
Table 16 Northeast Passage:Western European Voyages, 1553–1676 Date
Explorer Route Chief sponsor 1553–1554 Willoughby Barents Sea to Novaya
Zemlya London merchants 1553–1554 Chancellor Barents and White Seas
Guided by the cartographer and geographer Peter Plancius, the Dutch navigator
Willem Barents had first sought the Northeast Passage, north rather than south of
Novaya Zemlya. Just as Plancius had good reasons for his belief that more ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 andre deler vises ikke