Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 94
See also: Back, George (1826–1837); Banks Island; Collinson, Richard; Franklin,
John (1845–1848); Franklin Search Expeditions; Kellett, Henry; McClure Strait;
Melville Island; Northwest Passage; Parry, Edward (1819–1820); Ross, James ...
Table 19 Northwest Passage, Eighteenth-century Expeditions Date Explorer(s)
Route Chief Sponsor(s) 1719–1721 James Knight Hudson Bay Hudson's Bay
Company 1741–1742 Middleton Hudson Bay British Admiralty 1746–1747
Table 21 Northwest Passage Firsts Date Explorer(s)/Vessel(s) Achievement 1845
–1848 Franklin First discovery of a Northwest Passage 1850–1854 McClure First
crossing of the Passage 1903–1906 Amundsen First transit by ship 1940–1942 ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 andre deler vises ikke