Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 90
Table 17 Northeast Passage:Successful and Attempted Transits, 1870–1936
Johnson, H. 1907. The life and voyages of Joseph Wiggins, ER.G.S., modern
discoverer of the Kara Sea route to Siberia based on his journals and letters.
Table 19 Northwest Passage, Eighteenth-century Expeditions Date Explorer(s)
Route Chief Sponsor(s) 1719–1721 James Knight Hudson Bay Hudson's Bay
Company 1741–1742 Middleton Hudson Bay British Admiralty 1746–1747
Table 21 Northwest Passage Firsts Date Explorer(s)/Vessel(s) Achievement 1845
–1848 Franklin First discovery of a Northwest Passage 1850–1854 McClure First
crossing of the Passage 1903–1906 Amundsen First transit by ship 1940–1942 ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 andre deler vises ikke