Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 91
1606 John Knight Unable to enter Hudson Strait Muscovy and East India Cos.
1609 Hudson Hudson River Dutch East India Co. 1610–161 l Hudson Hudson
Bay Sir Thomas Smith, Sir Dudley Digges, John Wolstenholme 1612–1613
Henry Larsen's first transit—the second ever—was by a fifth route; like Amundsen
he sailed east of King William, but then he went through Bellot Strait rather than
Peel Sound. All five routes were entered from the Atlantic via Lancaster Sound, ...
He sailed through Matochkin Strait to reach the Russian mainland near the
Pechora, where a severe storm forced him to winter his vessel. From there, he
traveled overland to Archangel on sledges pulled by reindeer. Surveys Continue
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 andre deler vises ikke