Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 89
There are no records of Moor or Smith receiving further commands. Despite the
concerted attack on its monopoly, the Hudson's Bay Company defended its case
successfully before the parliamentary inquiry, though afterward it demonstrated ...
By 1609,his competence was sufficiently established that he was given command
of one of two ships during an exploring and trading voyage to the Arctic
archipelago of Novaya Zemlya north of Russia. While investigating the coasts of ...
Lady Franklin was keen to take up his offer, and such was the popular mood that
the Admiralty was persuaded to make the highly unusual gesture of granting a
whaler command of an official naval expedition. Thus it was that on 13 April 1850
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 andre deler vises ikke