Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 79
Traveling in the specially built 15-meter motor vessel Nauja, Thomas conducted
the first soundings of eastern Foxe Basin before reaching the new land, which
was found to consist of three low-lying islands— Prince Charles, Air Force, and ...
From their hut, at Dawes Point on the east coast, they conducted the most
detailed topographic and geological survey to date. See also: Barents, Willem;
Bruce, William Speirs; Hoel, Adolf, Svalbard References and further reading:
Bruce, W.S. ...
EPF was charged with logistical arrangements, which involved establishing the
wintering station Jarl-Joset, 200 miles from the east coast, and air supply to the
teams of Weasels conducting scientific traverses. Between 1957 and 1974, ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 andre deler vises ikke