Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 92
He was in sight of possible land on 26 December; the first definite discovery was
made five days later when Campbell and Douglas overflew ice-covered land at
66°11'S,65°10'E. Their sighting was confirmed by Mawson and Campbell on 5 ...
For this new discovery only one name was possible: “Kaiser Franz-Josefs Land”
for their emperor. For a considerable time, Payer had chafed under Weyprecht's
command. Indeed, at one time Weyprecht had secured his obedience only by ...
More encouragingly, sightings from the air indicated a possible route south along
the coastal fast ice and across the shelf ice to the newly discovered sound. This,
then, was the route followed on the major sledging journeys that began on 5 ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 andre deler vises ikke