Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 88
In addition, scientific work would be carried out, with particular attention being
paid to the numbers, species, and distribution of whales. Members of the
expedition included ship's officers K. N. MacKenzie, W. R. Colbeck, and J. B.
Child, W. J. ...
The most recent scientific visit was made in 1997 from HMS Endurance during a
comprehensive geological and biological survey of the South Sandwich Islands.
See also: Bellingshausen, Fabian von; Cook, James (1772–1775); Discovery ...
become leaders of a succession of Swedish scientific expeditions to Svalbard.
Supported by royal and commercial patronage, including the personal interest of
King Oscar II and the sponsorship of industrialists such as Oscar Dickson, these ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 andre deler vises ikke