Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 84
Twelve sailors pulled two sledges led by Ross and Leopold McClintock. It was to
be McClintock's role to make a system of man-hauling. Five hundred miles may
have been farther than any previous man-hauled journey, but McClintock ...
With the sun disappearing on 9 November and not reappearing until 9 February
1848, the winter was spent in preparations for the coming sledging season.
Copper collars giving details of the location of the ships and of food depots were
Following the Condor's first flight on 9 February, to the Ford Ranges and Ruppert
Coast for the purpose of conducting an aerial survey from which a sledging map
could be constructed for the following season, the next two major flights were to ...
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 andre deler vises ikke