Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sider
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Resultat 1-3 av 70
Whaling and Antarctic Exploration 695 Weymouth was to be cross-examined by
the court of the East India Company on 24 November, when he defended himself
against the accusation of breaking his agreement to spend at least one winter ...
Whaling and Arctic Exploration 697 free from the need to operate in conjunction
with any shore base because the ships were able to haul the whale carcasses on
board for processing with minimal wastage. Why therefore should it have been ...
yield (5–10 more barrels per whale than right whales) and longer baleen plates.
True Arctic whaling began as the whalers followed this species north each
summer into Davis Strait with the retreating ice. In 1607, Henry Hudson reported
Hva folk mener - Skriv en omtale
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 andre deler vises ikke