« ForrigeFortsett »
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY,
BARBAULD'S (MRS.) SELECTIONS FROM THE SPECTATOR, TATLER,
BRITISH POETS, from MILTON to KIRKE WHITE, Cabinet Edition, comprising, in a very small but remarkably clear type, as much matter as the sixty volumes of Johnson's Poets. Complete in 4 Vols. Frontispieces. 14s.
CARY'S TRANSLATION OF DANTE. Extra cloth. 7s. 6d.
CATTERMOLE'S EVENINGS AT HADDON HALL. 24 exquisite Engravings on
CHILLINGWORTH'S RELIGION OF PROTESTANTS. 23. 6d.
CLASSIC TALES; comprising The Vicar of Wakefield, Elizabeth, Paul and Virginia,
DICKSON AND MOWBRAY ON POULTRY, Edited by MRS. LOUDON, Illustrations by HARVEY (including the Cochin-China Fowl). 5s.
HORACE'S ODES AND EPODES, translated literally and rhythmically, by the REV.
JOYCE'S SCIENTIFIC DIALOGUES. Greatly Improved Edition, with Questions, &c., by PINNOCK. (Upwards of 600 pages). Woodcuts. 5s.
JOYCE'S INTRODUCTION TO THE ARTS AND SCIENCES. 55.
LAMARTINE'S THREE MONTHS IN POWER. Sewed, 2s.
LAMARTINE'S POETICAL MEDITATIONS AND RELIGIOUS HARMONIES, with Biographical Sketch. Portrait. Cloth, 38. 6d.
LAWRENCE'S LECTURES ON COMPARATIVE ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY,
LILLY'S INTRODUCTION TO ASTROLOGY. A New and Improved Edition, by
LOUDON'S (MRS.) ENTERTAINING NATURALIST, a Description of more than
MICHELET'S HISTORY OF THE FRENCH REVOLUTION. 48.
MILLER'S PHILOSOPHY OF HISTORY.
MITFORD'S (MISS) OUR VILLAGE. 2 Vols., New Edition, with Woodcuts and beautiful Frontispieces on Steel, gilt cloth. Each Vol. 5s.
Third Revised and Improved Edition,
NORWAY, A Road Book for Tourists in Norway, with Hints to English Sportsmen and
PARKES ELEMENTARY CHEMISTRY.
New Edition, revised, 5s.
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY.
SHAKSPEARE'S PLAYS AND POEMS, with Life, by CHALMERS. In 1 Vol. 38. 6d.
the same, Embellished with 40 pleasing Steel Engravings, elegantly bound in red Turkey cloth, gilt edges. 58.
STANDARD LIBRARY CYCLOPÆDIA OF POLITICAL, CONSTITUTIONAL, STATISTICAL, AND FORENSIC KNOWLEDGE. 4 Vols. 3s. 6d. each. This work contains as much as eight ordinary octavos. It was first published in another shape by Mr. Charles Knight, under the title of Political Dictionary, at £1 168. The Com piler, MR. GEORGE LONG, is one of the most competent Scholars of the day. STURM'S MORNING COMMUNINGS WITH GOD. New Edition. 5s. UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, with Introductory Remarks by the REV. J. SHERMAN (printed in a large clear type, with head-lines of Contents). 2s. 6d.
The same, on fine paper, with 8 new Illustrations by LEECH and GILBERT, and a beautiful Frontispiece by HINCHLIFF. 35. 6d.
THE WIDE, WIDE WORLD, by ELIZABETH WETHERELL. Complete in 1 Vol, with Frontispiece, gilt edges. 3s. 6d.
The same, Illustrated with 9 highly finished Engravings on Steel, richly bound in cloth, gilt edges. 5s.
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, price 5s., (excepting "Cosmos," Kidd, and Whewell, which are 3s. 6d., and Mantell's "Petrifactions," which is 6s.)
1. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S HAND-BOOK, with Diagrams.
2. LECTURES ON PAINTING, by THE ROYAL ACADEMICIANS.
3, 4, 8, & 15. HUMBOLDT'S COSMOS; or, Sketch of a Physical Description of the Universe. Translated, with Notes, by E. C. OTTE. In 4 Vols., with fine Portrait. This Translation (though published at so low a price) is more complete than any other. The Notes are placed beneath the text. Humboldt's analytica summaries, and the passages hitherto suppressed, are included; and comprehensive Indices subjoined. 3s. 6d. per Volume.
5. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S COMPANION, comprising a New Treatise on Odds, a Collection of Match Games, Original Problems, &c.
6. HAND-BOOK OF GAMES, by VARIOUS AMATEURS and PROFESSORS.
7. HUMBOLDT'S VIEWS OF NATURE, with coloured view of Chimborazo, &c.
9. RICHARDSON'S GEOLOGY, AND PALEONTOLOGY, Revised by Dr. WRIGHT, with upwards of 400 Illustrations on Wood.
10. STOCKHARDT'S PRINCIPLES OF CHEMISTRY, Exemplified in Simple Experiments, with upwards of 270 Illustrations.
11. DR. G. A. MANTELL'S PETRIFACTIONS AND THEIR TEACHINGS; A Hand-Book to the Fossils in the British Museum. Beautiful Wood Engravings. 6s.
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
12. AGASSIZ AND GOULD'S COMPARATIVE PHYSIOLOGY. New and Enlarged Edition, with nearly 400 Illustrations.
13, 19, & 28. HUMBOLDT'S PERSONAL NARRATIVE OF HIS TRAVELS IN AMERICA. With General Index.
14. PYE SMITH'S GEOLOGY AND SCRIPTURE. Fifth Edition, with Memoir. 16. OERSTED'S SOUL IN NATURE, &c. Portrait.
17. STAUNTON'S CHESS TOURNAMENT, with Diagrams.
18 & 20. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. KIRBY on the History, Habits, and Instincts of Animals; Edited by T. RYMER JONES. In 2 Vols. Many Illustrations. 21. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. KIDD On the Adaptation of External
Nature to the Physical Condition of Man. 3s. 6d.
22. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. WHEWELL'S Astronomy and General Physics, considered with reference to Natural Theology. Portrait of the Earl of Bridgewater. 3s. 6d.
23. SCHOUW'S EARTH, PLANTS, AND MAN, and KOBELL'S SKETCHES FROM THE MINERAL KINGDOM, Translated by A. HENFREY, F.R.S., &c., with Coloured Map of the Geography of Plants.
24. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. CHALMERS on the Adaptation of External Nature to the Moral and Intellectual Constitution of Man, with the Author's last Corrections; and Biographical Sketch by the REV. DR. CUMMING.
25. BACON'S NOVUM ORGANUM AND ADVANCEMENT OF LEARNING. Complete, with Notes, by J. DEVEY, M.A.
26 & 27. HUMPHREY'S COIN COLLECTOR'S MANUAL: a popular introduction to the Study of Coins, ancient and modern; with elaborate Indexes, and numerous highly-finished Engravings on Wood and Steel, 2 Vols.
29. COMTE'S PHILOSOPHY OF THE SCIENCES, Edited from the Cours de Philosophie Positive,' by G. H. LEWES, Esq.
30. MANTELL'S (DR.) GEOLOGICAL EXCURSIONS, including THE ISLE OF WIGHT. New Edition, with Prefatory Note by T. RUPERT JONES, Esq., numerous beautiful Woodcuts, and a Geological Map.
31. HUNT'S POETRY OF SCIENCE; or. Studies of the Physical Phenomena of
Nature. 3rd Edition, revised and enlarged.
32 & 33. ENNEMOSER'S HISTORY OF MAGIC, Translated from the German by WILLIAM HOWITT. With an Appendix of the most remarkable and best authenticated Stories of Apparitions, Dreams, Second Sight, Predictions. Divinations, Vampires, Fairies, Table Turning, and Spirit Rapping, &c., by MARY HOwnT. In 2 Vols.
34. HUNT'S ELEMENTARY PHYSICS; an Introduction to the Study of Natural (C Philosophy. New Edition, revised. Numerous Woodcuts and Coloured Frontispiece. E 35. HANDBOOK OF DOMESTIC MEDICINE, by an eminent Physician (700 pages). 36. STANLEY'S CLASSIFIED SYNOPSIS of the Dutch, Flemish, and German
37. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. PROUT on Chemistry. Meteorology, and the Function of Digestion. Edited by DR. GRIFFITH, Coloured Mops.
BOHN'S ILLUSTRATED LIBRARY.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, at 5s. per volume,
1 to 8. LODGE'S PORTRAITS OF ILLUSTRIOUS PERSONAGES OF GREAT BRITAIN. 8 Vols post 8vo. 240 Portraits.
9. CRUIKSHANK'S THREE COURSES AND DESSERT, with 50 Illustrations. 10. PICKERING'S RACES OF MAN, with numerous Portraits (or Coloured 7s. 6d.) 11. KITTO'S SCRIPTURE LANDS, AND BIBLICAL ATLAS, with 21 Maps, (or Coloured, 7s. 6d.) 76
12. WHITE'S NATURAL HISTORY OF SELBORNE, with Notes by SIR WM JARDINE and others, edited, with large additions, by E. JESSE, Esq. With 40 highly-finished Wood Engravings (Coloured, 7s. 6d.)
13. DIDRON'S CHRISTIAN ICONOGRAPHY, with 150 beautiful Engravings. In 2 Vols. Vol. I.
14. REDDING ON WINES. New and Revised Edition, with 20 beautiful Woodcuts. 15 & 16. ALLEN'S BATTLES OF THE BRITISH NAVY. New Edition. Enlarged by the Author. Numerous fine Portraits on Steel. 2 Vols. 17 & 18. ROME IN THE NINETEENTH CENTURY.
Fifth Edition, in 2 Vols.,
with 34 fine Steel Engravings, and Index.
19. MAXWELL'S VICTORIES OF WELLINGTON AND THE BRITISH ARMIES, with Engravings on Steel.
20. LIFE OF WELLINGTON, by "AN OLD SOLDIER," compiled from the materials of Maxwell, and continued by an eminent Author, with an Account of the Funeral. With 18 highly finished Engravings on Steel.
21. MARY AND WM. HOWITT'S STORIES OF ENGLISH AND FOREIGN LIFE, with 20 beautiful Steel Engravings.
22. BECHSTEIN'S CAGE and CHAMBER BIRDS, including SWEET's Warblers. New Edition, greatly enlarged, numerous Plates (or Coloured, 7s. 6d.) 23. NORWAY AND ITS SCENERY, comprising PRICE'S Journal, with large Additious and a Road Book. Edited by THOS. FORESTER, Esq. With 22 Illustrations, beautifully Engraved on Steel by Lucas.
The Road Book is sold separately, price 28.
24. CHINA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, AND HISTORICAL, with some account of Ava and the Burmese, Siam and Assam. Illustrated by nearly 100 Engravings on Wood.
25. PICTORIAL HANDBOOK OF LONDON, comprising its Antiquities, Architecture, Arts, Manufactures, Trade, Social, Literary, and Scientific Institutions, Exhibitions, and Galleries of Art, &c. Illustrated with 205 Engravings on Wood, and a large and complete Map.
This volume, of which the former editions were published by Mr. Weale at 9s., contains above 900 pages.
26. MARY HOWITT'S PICTORIAL CALENDAR OF THE SEASONS, exhibiting the Pleasures, Pursuits, and Characteristics of Country Life, for every Month in the Year; and embodying the whole of AIKEN's Calendar of Nature. Upwards of 100 Illustrations.
27. DANTE, translated into English Verse by I. C. WRIGHT, M.A. Third Edition, carefully révised. Portrait and 34 Illustrations on Steel, after FLAXMAN.
28 & 29. MUDIE'S BRITISH BIRDS, or History of the Feathered Tribes of the British Islands. Fifth Edition, revised by W. C. L. MARTIN, Esq. Complete in 2 Vols., with 52 figures of Birds, and 7 additional Plates of Eggs." (Or, with the Plates Coloured, 7s. 6d. per Vol.)
30. TASSO'S JERUSALEM DELIVERED, translated into English Spenserian verse, with a Life of the Author by J. H. WIFFEN. Fourth Edition. 24 Engravings by THURSTON on Wood, and 8 on Steel.
31. INDIA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, and HISTORICAL, from the Earliest Times to the Present. Illustrated by upwards of 100 Engravings on Wood, and Map of Hindoostan.
32. NICOLINI'S HISTORY OF THE JESUITS: their Origin, Progress, Doctrines, and Designs. Portraits of Loyola, Lainèz, Xavier, Borgia, Acquaviva, Père la Chaise, Ricci, and Pope Ganganelli.
33. ROBINSON CRUSOE, with Illustrations by STOTHARD and HARVEY, 12 beautiful Engravings on Steel, and 74 on Wood.