« ForrigeFortsett »
Higher Education Amendments of 1968
AN ACT To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965, the National Defense Edu
cation Act of 1958, the National Vocational Student Loan Insurance Act of 1965, the Higher Education Facilities Act of 1963, and related Acts.
FINANCIAL AID TO STUDENTS NOT TO BE TREATED AS INCOME OR
RESOURCES UNDER CERTAIN PROGRAMS SEC. 507. For the purpose of any program assisted under title I, IV, X, XIV, XVI, or XIX of the Social Security Act, no grant or loan to any undergraduate student for educational purposes made or insured under any program administered by the Commissioner of Education shall be considered to be income or resources.
Education Amendments of 1972
(P.L. 92-318; 7 U.S.C. 301 note)
LAND-GRANT STATUS FOR THE COLLEGE OF THE VIRGIN ISLANDS AND
THE UNIVERSITY OF GUAM SEC. 506. (a) The College of the Virgin Islands, the Community College of American Samoa, the College of Micronesia, the Northern Marianas College, and the University of Guam shall be considered land-grant colleges established for the benefit of agriculture and mechanic arts in accordance with the provisions of the Act of July 2, 1862, as amended (12 Stat. 503; 7 U.S.C. 301-305, 307, 308).
(b) In lieu of extending to the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Micronesia, and the Northern Mariana Islands those provisions of the Act of July 2, 1862, as amended, relating to donations of public land or land scrip for the endowment and maintenance of colleges for the benefit of agriculture and the mechanic arts, there is authorized to be appropriated $3,000,000 to the Virgin Islands and $3,000,000 to Guam and an equal amount to American Samoa, Micronesia, and to the Northern Mariana Islands. Amounts appropriated pursuant to this section shall be held and considered to have been granted to the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Micronesia, and the Northern Mariana Islands subject to the provisions of that Act applicable to the proceeds from the sale of land or land scrip.
Education Amendments of 1980
TITLE XIII–MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
PART G-NEW LAND GRANT COLLEGES
AMERICAN SAMOA AND MICRONESIA LAND GRANT COLLEGES
(b) 2 * * *
(c) Any provision of any Act of Congress relating to the operation of or provision of assistance to a land grant college in the Virgin Islands or Guam shall apply to the land grant college in American Samoa and in Micronesia in the same manner and to the same extent.
(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to interfere with or affect any of the provisions of the April 17, 1900 Treaty of Cession of Tutuila and Aunu’u Islands, or the July 16, 1904 Treaty of Cession of the Manu'a Islands as ratified by the Act of February 20, 1929 (45 Stat. 1253) and the Act of May 22, 1929 (46 Stat. 4).
CONTRACT AUTHORITY SEC. 1392. [20 U.S.C. 1146] The authorization to enter into contracts or other obligations under the Act, as amended by this Act, shall be effective for fiscal year 1981 and any succeeding fiscal year only to the extent or in such amounts as are provided in advance in appropriation Acts.
SEC. 1393. [20 U.S.C. 1011 note] (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), this Act and the amendments made by this Act shall take effect on October 1, 1980.
(b)(1) The amendment made by section 301 of this Act to title III of the Act shall take effect October 1, 1981.
(2) The amendment made by section 404(c)(4) of this Act to section 415C(b)(4) of the Act shall be effective October 1, 1979.
Subsection (a) of section 1361 of the Education Amendments of 1980 amended section 506 of the Education Amendments of 1972.
2 Subsection (b) of section 1361 of the Education Amendments of 1980 amended section 5 of the Second Morrill Act.
(3) The amendment made by section 405 to subpart 4 of part A of title IV of the Act shall take effect October 1, 1981.
(4) The amendments made by part B of title IV of this Act shall take effect, except as otherwise provided therein, on January 1, 1981, and to the extent such amendments make changes in such part B which affect student loans, such changes shall apply to outstanding loans as well as to loans made after the amendments take effect, except that the amendments made by section 415(b) shall apply with respect to any loan to cover the cost of instruction for any period of instruction beginning on or after January 1, 1981, to any student borrower who has no outstanding balance of principal or interest on any loan made, insured, or guaranteed under part B of title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 on the date on which the borrower enters into the note or other written evidence of the loan.
(5) The amendments made by part D of title IV of this Act shall apply to loans made under part E of the Act on or after October 1, 1980.
(6) The amendment made by section 701 of this Act adding section 731 of the Act shall apply to loans made under section 731 on or after October 1, 1980.