« ForrigeFortsett »
154. What relation is the door-mat to the scraper?
155. Why does a piebald pony never pay toll?
156. When does a steamboat captain say that he is what he is not?
157. When are you like a spider?
158. Which are the laziest shell-fish?
159. Why is the best baker most in want of bread?
160. Why is the letter S like a sewing machine?
161. Why do ducks go under water?
162. Why is France never afraid of inundations?
163. What is the difference between a cow and a broken chair? 164.. What three letters are of most use to a statesman?
165. When does a man look most like a cannon-ball?
166. Why is the letter A like a honeysuckle?
167. What flower most resembles a bull's mouth?
168. What does a stone become in the water?
169. Why is a spectator like a bee-hive?
170. What does every one thirst alter?
171. Which is the highest island?
172. Why is the letter N like a pig?
173. Why is a theatre the saddest of places?
174. Why is it wrong to call a bloater a soldier?
175. What lane do ladies most like walking in?
176. Why is a lean monarch a contemplative man?
177. Why is a spider's web like a lawsuit?
178. Why is a tournament like sleep?
179. Why is rheumatism like a glutton?
180. Why is the county of Buckingham like a drover's goad?
181. Why are sailors bad horsemen?
182. Why should a man never marry a woman named Ellen?
183. When is a soldier not half a soldier?
184. When was beef-tea first introduced into England?
185. Why is Cupid like poverty?
186. What people can never live long, nor wear greatcoats?
187. Why is a horse doctor like a water-rat?
188. Why should Japanese grandees never pay their debts?
189. When does a man eat his furniture?
190. What letter does a deaf woman like best?
191. Why is an old woman like a well-driven nail?
192. Why is a pig's tail like a carving-knife?
193. When does a man belong to the vegetable kingdom?
194. Why are ladies like churches?
195. Why ought the children of a thief to be burnt?
196. When is love a deformity?
197. Why is a mouse like hay?
198. Why is a madman equal to two men?
199. Why are good resolutions like fainting ladies?
200. Why is a short person like an entertaining book?
201. What wonderful metamorphosis is a laundress subject to?
202. If cheese comes after meat, what comes after cheese?
203. What island is most like snow?
204. When is a wave of the sea like a medical man?
205. Why must the inventor of beaver hats have been necessaiily a talented
206. When will the soup run out of the saucepan?
207. Why is a lifeboat at sea like a new-born baby?
"To arms !" he cried, the Hermit of the Rock;
'' To arms !" the people answered in a breath:
He 'scaped, exultant, to success—or death.
A deadlier engine was assigned his doom:
And sent him, baffled, to a l1ving tomb.
1. Once eloquent on mountain heights,
2. Singly I'm a poor creature,
3 Rose-maiden, hence! thou surely must be mad!
4. All too high he pitched his flight,
5. In England I'm a lump
Of wood, or brass, or clay j
Begged from Bacchus some such tree;
7. In the dusk like moth I show,
Down the streets in glittering row,
8. We learn't was good for kitchen duty,
But all aver it was no beauty;
Who shames us by her parlour looks;
No matter what its looks were worth.
9. Whate'cr our century may miss,
Men too oft confuse these twain,
And for the tirst the second sauander;
1. I preside at Guildhall dinners,
It flows and flows as it never would end,
With many a twisting and many a bend;
But the stream's longest course, and the life's longest sweep,
Must finish at last in the fathomless deep.
The buffalo in his prairie feeds on the herbage rank,
4. In the workman's hand a tool,
Brahmin of Brahmins, she her gods adored,
Then passed through me and joined her vanished lord.
Kock, rock the cradle, wash and sift the soil;
Let me be made, the digger leaves his toil.
Bearer of burdens, driven by human hand,
Harder you strike me, firmer do I stand.
The soldier, face still dark with battle's frown,
Waits fot my welcome sound, and lays him down.
I. All-gifted fair one, pause! Alas! it is too late.
2. Fierce through the driving snow,
There rides Liitzow.
Here comes Hodson.