ing the hospitable southern style of architecture so common in the south. The spacious veranda, or porch, is an almost universal accompaniment to these pretty, inviting home places, and the ample, shaded lawns and broad walks are in more pleasant contrast with the closer and more severely artistic surroundings of the average northern home. There is everywhere in this little, half-rural city an air of amplitude, ease, freedom and home comfort that is thoroughly enjoyable to the visitor.' The business town expresses solidity and permanency, rather than any effort at architectural display, being built in the plain fashion of the old time. Among the public buildings are a handsome court-house, two very pretty churches, and a plain, but massive and stately, high-school building. Two more churches are projected. Of late, a good many very pretty homes in the modern styles have been added, and, altogether, Richmond may be named among the most attractive towns of its class in the west. The business town is in keeping with the wealth and thrift of the country that fosters it. If it ever had a speculative period, is has long since passed. The business men are characterized with steady, sensible, practical and well defined methods of commercial life, and evidently prefer solvency and high credit to the exciting, spasmodic, and speculative ways of too many western towns. They have the confidence of the community, and preserve it as if it were their best "stock in trade." They never seem hurried or fretful, but move straight on from year to year with the greatest deliberation and confidence. A list of the business houses, manufactories and industries of Richmond in April, 1881, will, it is believed, be found of interest in after years, if not at present; such a list is therefore subjoined, as follows:

C. D. Sayre, dealer in groceries, queensware, and produce.

A. J. Bopps, hardware, stoves, tinware, etc.

Ford Bros., fancy groceries.

W. M. Marshall, manufacturer of and dealer in boots and shoes.

A.J. Dresler, merchant tailor.

Smith & Patton, druggists and pharmaceutists.

Keel & Bro., dealers in groceries, queensware, and country produce. Grow & Abbott, carpenters and builders.

Powell & Sons, blacksmithing, and wagon and carriage manufacturers.

W. R.Jackson, furniture and hardware.

Exchange and banking house of J. S. Hughes & Co., J. S. Hughes, president; Burnett Hughes, cashier.

Fowler & Ewing, dry goods, boots, shoes, notions, etc.

S. R. Crispin & Co., dry goods, clothing, boots, shoes, etc.

M. F. McDonald, staple and fancy dry goods, piece goods and hosiery.

Mrs. M. E. Burhop, milliner.

Mrs. S. Strader, confectionery and groceries.

Hudgins House, William B. Hudgins, proprietor.

Warriner & Monroe, stoves, tinware, and furniture.

Daniel T. Duval, saddles and harness.

W. H. Darneal, dry goods, notions, and clothing.

W. H. Garner, groceries and queensware.

G. E. Niedermeyer, barber.

J. C. Brown & Co., dry goods, notions, and clothing.
Miss L. Ford, millinery and notions.

Richmond Conservator, Jacob T. Child, editor and proprietor.
Baber & Shoop, groceries and queensware.
Shoop & Son, undertakers.

Kemper Marble Works, Ed. W. Kemper, proprietor.

Sam. McDonald, confectioner.

Alex. A. McCuistion, livery and sale stable.

Garner & Jacobs, druggists and pharmacists.

Hubbell & Son, general merchandise.

B. J. Menefee, hardware and agricultural implements.

Holt & Son, general merchandise.

Richmond Democrat, Thomas D. Bogie, editor and proprietor. Ray County Savings Bank, Thomas D. Woodson, president; H. C. Garner, cashier.

Delmonico Restaurant, D. W. Farris, proprietor.

L. Megede, watch-maker and jeweler. •

W. W. Mosby & Son, druggists, booksellers, stationers, etc.

Farris .& Co., groceries and queensware.

R. L. Jacobs, saddles and harness.

F. W. Joy, meat market.

W. D. Rice & Sons, hardware and groceries.

E. Spear, groceries, queensware and tinware.

Kiger & Wertz, dry goods and notions.

M. C. Jacobs, druggist and apothecary.

A. H. Jacobs, watches and jewelry.

J. P. Quesenberry & Co., hardware and groceries.

Whitmer .& Co., livery and feed stable.

R. D. Asbury, blacksmithing and horse-shoeing.

W. P. Strader, carriage and wagon manufacturer.

McDonald Lumber Company.

Brown & Wiggington, carpenters and builders.

Hamacher Steam Flouring Mills, J. H. Hamacher & Bro., proprietors.

O. T. Dickinson, livery and feed stable.

Jackson & Patton, lumber yard, and wagons and agricultural implements.

Richmond Wagon Factory, Powell & Son, proprietors.

Wesson & Baum, dealers in live stock.

Richmond Coffin Company.

Title Abstract Office of Lavelock & Trigg.

William Fisher, photographer.

Wasson House, George I. Wasson, proprietor.

Burgess Brothers, blacksmiths and wagon-makers.

Ax-Handle Factory, J. M. Parker, proprietor.

The Olympic Hall, completed in December, 1880, is substantially built, convenient, and commodious. It is well ventilated, tastily and comfortably furnished, and has a seating capacity of four hundred and fifty. The seats are well arranged and command a full view of the stage from any part of the hall. Olympic Hall does credit alike to its proprietors, Doctor W. W. Mosby & Son, and to the city of Richmond.

The Richmond Opera House, owned by a joint stock company, under the corporate name of Richmond Hall and Library Association, was built in 1880, and cost seven thousand dollars. It is fifty feet in width by one hundred feet in length, and will seat about eight hundred persons. The hall is thoroughly ventilated, well furnished, and provided with attractive scenery. Perhaps no town in the west has a more capacious or better hall for public entertainment, than is the Richmond Opera House.

The old cemetery, due north of town and just within its corporate limits, was laid out in 1845. It is the burial place of many distinguished persons.

The remains of Bill Anderson, the notorious desperado, were deposited in the old cemetery. The people, of course, without exception, deprecated the man and his dastardly and revolting acts, perpetrated in the spirit of diabolical revenge, indiscriminately directed, and dishonoring alike himself, his followers, and the cause he claimed to defend; they knew, however, that in death, he was harmless, and that, as a fellow mortal, he was entitled to decent burial.

This fact is not mentioned on Anderson's account, but simply to show that in the hearts of the Christian people of Richmond, the spirit of resentment perishes, when the ability of the culprit to do further harm has ceased, and, sharing the common lot of mankind, he lies powerless in the embrace of death.

The new Richmond cemetery, near the west end of South Main street, on the north side thereof, was laid out in 1871. It contains three acres and is situated on a high hill commanding an extensive and beautiful prospect of the surrounding country.

The dead are everywhere, and the last kind offices in their behalf are to accord them burial in conformity to established custom, and to place above them some testimonial of the esteem in which they were held while among the living, or that may at least "implore the passing tribute of a sigh." In this respect the Richmond cemeteries are enduring monument, not alone to the dead, but likewise to the humane and tender promptings that govern the hearts of the living.

Several beautiful and costly shafts are reared in the new grave-yard, and, for a "silent city of the dead," it is perhaps as neat and inviting a place as one could desire to see.

It becomes necessary in writing the history of Richmond to record some events of melancholy interest.

At half past three o'clock, Thursday, May 23, 1867, a band of brigands, eleven in number, heavily armed with navy pistols, entered the city from the east, by three different streets. One detachment came in by the first street south of South Main street, running parallel thereto, and passing up that street to its intersection with College street, turned north to South Main; another party passed up the latter street, while the third came into the city by North Main street. The bandits concentrated in the vicinity of the M. E. Church South, and all but one dismounted, and repaired immediately to the banking house of Hughes & Wasson. Four of the party entered the bank, and with pistols presented, demanded the money therein. The other six remained outside, in front oi the bank building, and kept up a continual fire upon citizens who dared to show themselves on the streets. Immediately upon entering the bank, one of the bandits fired at the book-keeper, Willis Warriner, Esquire, as he retreated in the direction of the vault. At the report of the pistol, Mr. Warriner fell to the floor and continued prostrate so long as the robbers remained in the bank, though he was uninjured.

There happened to be only thirty-five hundred dollars in the bank, and when that amount was seized, the robbers turned upon Mr. George I. Wasson, the cashier, and covering him with their pistols, commanded him to get more. But upon Mr. Wasson's assuring them that they had taken all the money on hand, they dismissed him without further molestation.

The robber who remained on his horse, tcok a stand in the middle of the street, near the bank. He was mounted on a very fine and welltrained horse. Having wound the bridle-reins around the bow of his saddle in such a manner as to give greater tension to one rein than to the other, the horse continued to move round in a circle, thus enabling his rider to see about him in every direction. With a navy pistol in each hand the horseman fired up and down the street, while the robbery was going on in the bank.

The citizens began to rally to drive the bandits out of town. Frank Griffin, from his position behind a tree in the court-house yard, was discharging his gun at the man on the horse without effect; when the latter discovered Griffin's head from behind the tree he fired at it, with unerring aim. The ball penetrated the brain, and Griffin instantly expired.

Young Griffin's father, William Griffin, after the killing of his son, ran up to the bank, supposing the robbers had vacated it. Upon stepping within he was confronted by the robbers, and started to run out of the house, when he was fired upon; the ball, taking effect in the back, passed through his heart.

John B. Shaw, a highly respected gentleman, and at that time mayor of the city, was in the middle of the street, near the Shaw House (now Wasson House), of which he was proprietor, endeavoring to rally the citizens, when he was shot in the abdomen. He lived but a few hours. He also was killed by the man on horseback.

After the robbery, the bandits rode rapidly out of town. They were 'followed by a posse of citizens a distance of about nine miles, but none of them were captured.

The pursuing party fired upon the robbers near Holt Station, on the Hannibal & St. Joseph railroad, wounding one of their horses, which was left behind and died next day.

One of the robbers, whose name was supposed to be William McGuire, was captured in St. Louis the following winter, brought to Richmond, and lodged in jail; and a few months after his capture, the man who sat on his horse in front of the bank and killed John B. Shaw and young Griffin, was apprehended in Kentucky, by John W. Francis, then sheriff of Ray county. This bandit's name was supposed to be Devers. He was also confined in the Richmond jail.

McGuire had a preliminary trial before a justice of the peace, and was held to await the ensuing session of the circuit court. They were both taken from the jail, however, by a vigilance committee and hanged.

What became of the other participants in this atrocious robbery and murder, is unknown.

The following persons were in the bank when the robbers entered: Geo. I. Wasson, cashier; Judge Willis Warriner, book-keeper, and Major Robert Sevier, Ephraim January, and Ben Chipeze. The three last named were in no way connected with the bank. None of the above named gentlemen were injured.


On June 1, A. D. 1878, the city of Richmond was visited by one of the most violent and destructive cyclones that ever passed over this section of the country. Nearly every thing in its pathway was utterly demolished. Huge trees were torn up by the roots, buildings swept away, and human and animal life destroyed.

For several days previous the weather had been unusually warm and sultry; the air was heavy and oppressive, the mercury in the thermometer indicating a temperature ranging from eighty-five to ninety degrees, Fahrenheit.

« ForrigeFortsett »