more than twenty years; is now president of the Missouri press association, and has held many other important offices. Jacob T. Child was married April 23d, 1861, to Elizabeth Rebecca McRoberts, of Kentucky, whose father was Major Andrew McRoberts, one of the pioneers of the mountains, and resided at Cumberland Gap, where he was celebrated for his courage, strength and endurance. He and his wife, with whom he has lived for more than fifty years, reside with their daughter in Richmond, Missouri. Colonel and Mrs. Child have five children, four sons and one daughter. He is a member of the Christian Church, and is deeply interested in everything that has a tendency to promote the cause of education and religion in the community in which he lives, and his future is full of promise.


Thomas Dudley Bogie, a native of Kentucky, was born on Silver Creek, in Madison county, August 26th, 1838. Paternal grandfather was born on board of a vessel, on the Atlantic ocean, between Europe and the United States. His father, Thomas Bogie, also a native of Madison county, Kentucky, was of Scotch descent, and was born in December, 1804. His mother, Frances S. (Stephenson) Bogie, was born in the same locality in 1818.

Thomas D. Bogie, being the son of a farmer, was raised on a farm, and, performing the labor incident to that vocation, lived till he attained his majority, in the vicinity of his place of birth. The schools of his neighborhood were few and inferior, and hence his school advantages were quite meagre. He attended the common schools, such as they were, three months in the winter, and the rest of the year aided his father on the farm—a work from which he lost not a single season till he was twentyone years of age. His attendance at school, altogether, did not exceed eighteen months. In September of 1859, young Bogie, then twenty-one, accompanied his father and family to Randolph county, Missouri, and the following spring embarked in the mercantile business in Huntsville, that county. He continued merchandising, with varied success, till 1869. The first year of his experience as a merchant, was, on account of the civil war, quite unprofitable; from 1866, however, till he abandoned the mercantile business, he was very successful. When, in 1870, he sold his interest in the dry goods store, Col. Bogie entered into the printing business, becoming the partner of J. S. Hunter, Esq., and with that gentleman, was editor and proprietor of the Huntsville Herald, and so continued till January, 1875, when he bought Mr. Hunter's interest, and conducted the paper as sole proprietor until January, 1879. March 16th, 1872, he started, in connection with Hunter, the Kcytesville Herald, which they conducted successfully for two and a half years, "at the same time owning and editing the Huntsville Herald. In January, 1879, Col. Bogie sold the Huntsville Herald to Elmore Fort, Esq., and the following April moved to Richmond, Missouri, and here, April 5th, purchased the printing establishment of S. J. Huffaker, editor and proprietor of the Ray Chronicle, the name of which he subsequently changed to Richmond Democrat, and under that name still (1881) owns, edits and conducts the paper. December 8th, 1863, in Callaway county, Missouri, Col. Bogie was married to Miss Doratha Virginia Maughas, a native of Danville, Montgomery county, Missouri, and daughter of the late Dr. M. M. Maughas, of Callaway county. They have four children, one of whom, Charles F., born September 26th, 1865, died February 13th, 1866. The living are: Dudley T., Mordecai M. and Rector S. Col. Bogie's father died in July, 1873, at his home in Randolph county, Missouri, aged sixty-nine. His mother died in May, 1874, at Keytesville, Chariton county, aged fifty-six. He has been a Mason since 1861; is a member of Blue Lodge and of the Royal Arch Chapter; he is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, of the Knights of Pythias, and of the Christian Church. The success achieved by Thomas D. Bogie is a striking example of what may be accomplished by devotion to duty, talent, industry and perseverance. The young man who emulates his example, will be happily rewarded, and his pathway to the grave will be all strewn with roses.


Silas R. Crispin was born August 28, 1837, in Fayette county, Ohio. When about ten years of age his parents moved with him to Highland county, that state, where he grew to manhood. His father, Abel Crispin, born in 1819, was a native of Pennsylvania. He died in Highland county, above mentioned, in 1856. His mother, Mary A. (Wilson) Crispin, was born in Mason county, Kentucky, and died in 1852. In 1857, when he was twenty years old, Silas R. Crispin moved to Lafayette county, Missouri, and has ever since been a resident of the state. He was first employed as overseer of a plantation, but afterward engaged in the freighting business across the plains for a time, running a train of wagons to Denver, Colorado. In the winter of 1858-'59 he went to Mexico, by way of St. Louis and New Orleans, and bought mules, which he brought to Lexington, Kentucky, and sold. In the spring of 1860 he again crossed the plains, to Denver, Colorado. In 1862 he joined the Confederate army, and served in company I, Colonel Gardner's regiment of General Joe O. Shelby's cavalry brigade. At the organization of his company, Mr. Crispin was elected second lieutenant. He participated, among others, in the following engagements: Camp Hurky, Lone Jack, Springfield, Prairie Grove, Newtonia, Hartsville, Little Rock, Spoonville, Mark's Mills, Jenkins' Ferry, Helena, and other minor engagements. He was with Price on his last raid through Missouri. He took part in more than forty battles, but never received a wound, nor was he ever taken prisoner. In 1863 he was promoted to be captain of his company, which position he held till the close of the war. After the surrender of General Lee, in April, 1865, he took his company to Clarksville, Texas, where he remained until the 20th of the following June, when he started for Memphis, Tennessee, reaching that place about the middle of July, 1865. He there surrendered the last remaining regularly organized company of the Confederate army. He was a true soldier, and fought cheerfully and bravely for the cause he believed to be right, so long as a ray of hope remained to inspire himself and his gallant comrades to arms. He was and is an upright, genial gentleman, and his true soldierly bearing won the respect and affection, not only of his own company, but of every fellow-soldier who knew him. After the war Captain Crispin engaged in freighting across the plains, and continued in this occupation till the summer of 1866, when he returned to Ray county, Missouri, and entered into the mercantile business, which he has followed ever since. He has an extensive, valuable stock of goods, and receives, as he deserves, a most liberal patronage. Captain Silas R. Crispin was married January 29, 1867, to Miss Lizze Mason, of Ray county. Of this marriage one child, George H., born September 9, 1868, is now living. His wife, an estimable, accomplished lady, died March 22, 1877. April 9, 1879, Captain Crispin was again married, to Miss Malinda Shaw, of Ray county, a lady of intelligence, whose character is adorned by all the graces of womanhood.


Aaron H. Conrow was born June 19, 182-1, near Cincinnati, Ohio. He spent part of his boyhood days at, or near Pekin, Illinois, and from that place, with his parents, moved to Missouri, and settled in Ray county. Here, by dint of his own energy, he obtained a pretty thorough education, teaching school part of the time in order to get means to complete the same. In this he was very successful. He then chose the law as a profession, and by rigid economy and sedulous application, succeeded in making an eminent lawyer. On the 17th of May, 1828, he was married to Miss Mary Ann Quesenberry, daughter of David H. and Lucinda Quesenberry, of Richmond, Missouri. From this union resulted the following children: David, Benjamin, William S., and Mamie. He was appointed by the governor, judge of the first probate court established in Ray county. From January, 1857, to January, 1861, he was circuit attorney of the fifth judicial circuit of Missouri; an office that had previously been filled by such eminent lawyers as Hamilton R. Gamble, Abiel Leonard, Charles French, Robert W. Wells, Amos Rees, Thomas C. Burch, Peter H. Burnett, George W. Dunn, and others, but by none of them more zealously and efficiently than by the subject of this sketch. He was a brilliant and successful advocate, a fine judge of law, and never descended to even the slightest artifice to gain the advantage of an opposing brother lawyer. He was above all littleness, open, candid, ingenuous. He was the preceptor of three young men who afterward became able and prominent lawyers; one of them is now a circuit judge, and the biography of another, who lives in Richmond, appears in this volume. Aaron H. Conrow was ever the fast friend of education, and no man contributed more liberally than he, in proportion to his means, to the support of institutions of learning. He was ever a safe counselor in matters of moment relative to the town and community in which he lived. In 1860 he was elected to the state general assembly — a democrat worthy to be trusted. He was in the general assembly at the beginning of the war, and sided with the south. He was instrumental in recruiting and equipping the first company organized in Ray for the defense of what he believed to be right. He ranked as colonel in the Missouri state guards, a military organization he had helped to create by his vote in the general assembly. He was by a majority of his comrades elected to represent his district in the confederate congress, and in that capacity, as in all others, served with singular zeal and promptness. He was present at the first meeting and at the final adjournment of that body. At the close of the war the amnesty agreed upon did not extend to members of the confederate congress, and fearing that if he fell into the hands of the successful party his life would be taken, he went to Mexico, and soon after arriving in that country, he was brutally murdered by a band of Mexican soldiers, on or about the 25th of August, A. D. 1805.


John R. Hamilton was born September 2, 1856, in Ray county, Missouri. Received his education at the State University, Columbia, Missouri, graduating in the law department of that institution, in the class of 1879. Prior to attending the university he had read law three years with Hon. C. T. Garner, of Richmond. He was admitted to the practice of his profession in March, 1880. He is the son of Thomas Hamilton, a native of Kentucky, who moved to Ray county, in 1841. His mother, whose maiden name was Rebecca Shackelford, was a native of Clay county, Missouri. Mr. Hamilton is an exemplary young man, of exceptionally good character, and his close application and untiring energy will, it is believed, be duly rewarded.


The subject of this sketch was born July 4, 1828, in Mason county, Kentucky. His father was Judge Jabez Shotwell, who was born in Kentucky, in 1791, and died in Ray county, Missouri, in 1871. He was for many years judge of the Ray county court; a highly honorable and useful citizen, who will long be kindly remembered by all who knew him, living. His mother was likewise a native of Kentucky, born in 1797, and died in 1852. In the fall of 1833 Mr. Shotwell moved with his parents to Lexington, Missouri, and in the fall of 1835, to Richmond, Ray county, where he now resides. Early in 1855 he began reading law, with Messrs. Oliver & Conrow, of Richmond, as his preceptors. He was admitted to the bar June 1,1856. He is a successful lawyer, familiar with the different departments of his profession, and has been a close student. He enjoys an excellent reputation both as a lawyer and as a gentleman. In 1877 he associated with him in the practice, J. E. Ball, Esq.; the partners have a lucrative practice, as well as the confidence of the public. Mr. Shotwell was elected one of the directors of the Ray County Savings Bank, at its organization, and has been connected with it ever since. In February, 1880, he was elected its vice president, a position he still retains. In the year last mentioned he, in connection with W. P. Hubbell and L. D. Priest, sunk a coal shaft near the railroad depot in the western part of the city, to the depth of one hundred feet. They employ, in operating this mine, about twenty men. The coal is of superior quality, the vein exhaustless, and the business exceedingly profitable. Mr. Shotwell accompanied General Price, as a soldier in the state guards, in Col. Reaves' regiment, to Camp Cowskin Prairie, and took part in the battles of Carthage and Wilson's Creek. February 14,1861, he was married to Miss Julia E. Devlin, a native of Michigan. They have seven children living, five boys and two girls: Anna, John W., Joseph, Lizzie D., William M., Benjamin E. and Horace. Mr. Shotwell is a member of the Baptist Church, while his wife is a member of the M. E. Church South. They are exemplary Christians, and respected by the entire community in which they live. Mr. Shotwell is also a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Knights of Honor.


Thomas L. Shaw is a native of Bedford county, Tennessee. He was born September 13, 1820. In May, 1836, he moved with his parents to Richmond, Ray county, Missouri, where he has ever since resided. Most of his life has been spent as a farmer. In 1850, he crossed the plains with ox teams, to California, returning in the winter of 1852 and '53. In 1868, he sold his farm and opened the stone quarry known as Carroll county

« ForrigeFortsett »