1859, and Virginia Elizabeth, born September 11, 1870. Mrs. Woodson was a refined and amiable lady, but she is not now among the living— having died April 11, 1871. Mr. Woodson is a devout and consistant member of the M. E. Church South. His name is untarnished; his friends are legion; and his life not in vain.


The subject of this sketch, a brother of Thomas D. Woodson, was born in Woodsonville, Kentucky, January 6,1823. In the spring of 1849 he went across the plains to California, spending five months on the way. He passed about twelve years in the mining districts of California, most of the time engaged in mining, in which he was quite successful. In the spring of 1861 he returned by the overland stage route, traversing Lower California, Arizona, and Texas, and traveling 2,800 miles in twenty-three days, reaching his home in Kentucky in May. In the spring of 1863 he returned to California, and remained one year, looking after his mining interests. In 1865 Mr. Woodson located permanently in Richmond, Missouri, where he is now a respected citizen. He was engaged in merchandizing in Richmond, in partnership with his brother, T. D. Woodson, Esq., until 1878, when they sold out their stock of goods, and since that time our subject has not been actively engaged in business on account of ill health. He is the owner of a fine farm, containing about five hundred acres, as well as some valuable city property. He was married October 25, 1865, to Miss Hallie J. Jackson, a most accomplished lady, of Bowling Green, Kentucky. He is a member of the regular Baptist Church, while his wife is united with the M. E. Church South. For genealogy of Mr. Woodson reference is made to the biographical sketch of his brother, Thomas D. Woodson, Esq.


John C. Brown was born near Richmond, Ray county, Missouri, January 29, A. D. 1835. His father, William, was born in Rutherford county, Tennessee, October 6, 1809, and was raised and educated in the county of his nativity, and emigrated to Missouri with his parents in 1829, living on a farm during his life. He was a Baptist of the old school type; never desired office at the hands of the people, but has been content to live the life of a farmer, and a Christian gentleman. He was married to Miss Sarah J. Ralph, in 1832. She was born in Guilford county, North Carolina, January 6, 1813, and came with her parents to Ray county, at an early day. By the marriage of William Brown to Miss Ralph, there were born seven children, one of whom died in infancy; James H. went to Oregon, and died there in 1873; Mary F. died at sixteen years of age; Isaac R. resides in Carrollton, Missouri, and is clerk of the circuit court in the seventeenth judicial district; Charles W., salesman with McWilliams, Crooke & Co., wholesale hats and caps; Jennie, married to Samuel V. Endsley, of Ray county. John C. the subject of this sketch, was raised on a farm, and finished his course of study at Carrollton, Missouri, in 1856, acquiring a good English education and some knowledge of the Latin. He left school, and followed teaching in Carroll, Saline and Ray counties, always giving satisfaction as a teacher. In April, 1857, he was employed as salesman in the store of Messrs. Hill & Ely, of Carrollton, Missouri, and left in the spring of 1861, with the confidence and approval of his employers; went to farming and dealing in stock till 1872. In November, 1872, he was elected sheriff of Ray county, and having filled the office to the satisfaction of the people, was in November, 1874, re-elected by an increased majority, receiving the largest vote cast for any candidate at that election. At the end of his second term, December, 1876, he retired from the office of sheriff, and commenced the practice of law in partnership with Judge Wm. A. Donaldson, having been, admitted to the bar in February, ] 877. He was married September 27, 1S60, to Miss Hattie A. George, of Caldwell county, Missouri, who is a native of Anderson county, Kentucky, and was born November 22, 1842; and emigrated to Caldwell county with her father, David George, and died August 24, 1872. To this union were born six children, one of whom died in infancy. Of the others, Wm. D. was bornJuly2 7, 1861; Eugenie, Augusto, 1864; Anna Bell, March 4, 1866; John Dudley, January 23, 1868, and Charles Oscar, April 29, 1871. On May 6, 1874, Mr. Brown was married to his second wife, Miss Olive E., daughter of Felix G. Miller, Esq., of Ray county, born November 2, 1851. With his father's consent, Mr. Brown left home when seventeen years of age, and without means, principally educated himself, as his parents were unable to give him much pecuniary aid. He attributes his success to the prompt manner in which he always met each and every engagement. Through life he has made it his determined aim to come promptly to time, thus proving the truth of the adage, " punctuality is the soul of business success." Mr. Brown is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is a Royal Arch Mason; he is also a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and contributes liberally to the building of churches, and to the support of the ministry. In politics he is an unswerving democrat, and has been so from his early manhood. He is at present engaged in the mercantile business in Richmond, where he is respected and esteemed by every one.


George I. Wasson was born September 19, 1819, in Wilson county, Tennessee, where he lived, assisting his father on the farm, till he was twenty-one years of age. In 1840, he moved from Tennessee to Missouri, and located in Richmond, Ray county, a stranger, young, without friends, without money, and with no resource, save his indomitable energy, pluck, perseverance, and habits of sobriety and economy. The young Tennesseean was not long in making "troops of friends;" his affability, good nature, and generous, obliging disposition, soon gained for him the esteem of all around him, and he was not long in finding employment, at once congenial, responsible and remunerative. Shortly after his arrival, he was appointed deputy sheriff of Ray county, and after holding this position, discharging its duties with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his principal and the people, he entered a dry goods store as clerk, and continued this occupation about two years. He was then elected constable of Richmond township, and held the office continuously till the year 1846, when, appreciating his steady habits, honesty, capacity and fidelity, the people elected him to the responsible office of sheriff of the county; and at the close of his term, two years afterward, chose him as his own successor.

In 1849, in connection with Joseph S. Hughes, he opened a dry goods store. He continued in this business, meanwhile conducting a fine farm of six hundred acres, near Richmond, and dealing extensively in leaf

tobacco, till in 1866. In he was elected president of the branch of

Union Bank of Missouri, located in Richmond, and served with efficiency in this capacity till 1865, in which year he embarked in the private banking business. He continued in this business about twelve years, or until 1877, when he sold out, and engaged in the leaf tobacco trade, packing, pressing, and shipping, in which he was quite successful; but after about one year he resumed the mercantile business. In September, 1879, he exchanged his store for the hotel formerly known as the Shaw house, which same he has changed to Wasson house. Mr. Wasson is now owner and proprietor of the Wasson house, which he has greatly < improved. He is a man of great versatility, of strong natural ccmmon sense, quick to comprehend, and of far-seeing sagacity. Knowingly, he never wounds the feelings of any man; he is ever the friend of public enterprise, of education, and of whatever he believes to be conducive to the good of his friends, of the town in which he lives, or of his countv. In whatever department of industry he is engaged, he is the same genial, courteous, and accommodating gentleman, of generous impulses, warmhearted, sympathetic, and kind—hundreds of his fellow-citizens, less fortunate than himself, are indebted to him for deeds of charity. In 18— he

was elected a director of the branch of the Union Bank of Missouri, located at Lexington, Missouri, and in 1868 he was elected a director of the Union National Bank, of St.Louis, and remained an officer thereof till 1874, at which time the bank having failed, he was appointed to wind up its business. October 22, 1842, George I. Wasson was married to Miss Angeline B. Child, a native of Madison county, New York. Mrs. Wasson is a refined and intelligent lady, amiable, benevolent, and affectionate, and much of the success attained by her husband is due to her cheerful disposition, good judgment, and womanly virtues. They have had two children, but both of them died in infancy. George I. has been one of the most active, energetic, and enterprising business men Ray county ever had, and no individual has done more for its advancement, or is now more closely identified with the county, in all that pertains to its prosperity, wealth, and development.


Christopher Trigg Garner, son of Colonel Jesse W. and Docia (Trigg) Garner, was born March 25, 1825, in Fayette, Howard county, Missouri. Colonel Jesse W. Garner, a native of Virginia, was born in Northumberland county in 1791, and when a boy removed to Winchester, Clark county, Kentucky. He married Docia Trigg January 15, 1810. In 1819 he moved to Missouri, and settled in Old Franklin, Howard county. About a year afterward he removed to Fayette, and from 1820 to 1841 lived in that town and in the vicinity thereof. In the year last mentioned he moved to Ray county, and in 1848 to near Liberty, Clay county, where, in June, 1850, he died. He was one of the Missouri pioneers, a carpenter by trade, and built the first court house and college buildings at Fayette. He was a leading Mason, and was present at the organization of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Missouri. He was a man of integrity of character, decision, energy and enterprise, good judgment, and strong, practical, common sense, highly esteemed and universally respected, kind ana affectionate in his family relations, generous and philanthropic. Docia Garner was the daughter of Gen. Stephen Trigg, and was born January 21, 1782, in Bedford county, Virginia. She was a descendant of the Trigg family that emigrated from England and settled in Spottsylvania county, Virginia, the sons of which distinguished themselves as soldiers in the revolutionary war, in the war of 1812, and in the Indian wars of a later period. They were in the siege of Yorktown, the battle of King's Mountain, and in the Indian battle at the Blue Licks, Kentucky. C. T. Garner, the subject of this sketch, until he attained his majority, worked at daily labor for his father, attending school irregularly, for short intervals, in the log school-houses of that day. His education was obtained mainly by his own exertion. He taught school about a year, then went into a store as clerk for a few months. Desiring to study the law, he entered the law office of Honorable George W. Dunn, of Richmond, Missouri, in 1845, and read law continuously for nearly three years. In May, 1848, he received license to practice his profession from Judge Austin A. King, afterward governor of Missouri. The judge, on handing him his license, advised him to locate permanently at Richmond and engage in the practice of his profession. He yielded to the suggestion with great reluctance, as the bar of Richmond was then composed of such eminent lawyers as Philip L. Edwards, George W. Dunn, Ephraim B. Ewing, Charles E. Bowman, Mordecai Oliver, and E. A. Lewis. Without any money, library books, or office furniture, he was allowed the privilege of occupying a table in a drug store for his office; a copy of the revised statutes of Missouri, kindly lent him by a friend, was the extent of his library. The first earnings of his profession were applied to paying his legal preceptor for board and instruction while studying his profession. Afterward he purchased such books as his limited means would allow. Sympathizing friends gathered around him, and his prospects for a living practice began to brighten. He soon acquired a remunerative practice, which he has retained at the same bar for a period of thirty-two years. He has traveled his own circuit and practiced in the courts of ten counties. On the 5th day of November, 1850, in Callaway county, Missouri, he was married to Miss Elizabeth B. Mosby, an estimable and accomplished lady, the daughter of Major James Mosby. Mr. Garner was a whig. His judicial circuit, during the existence of that party, was composed of the counties of Ray, Clay, Carroll, Clinton, De Kalb, Harrison, Daviess, and Caldwell, which were then, by a large majority, democratic in politics. In 1852 he became a candidate for circuit attorney, and was elected by a handsome majority over his opponent, who was a good lawyer, a popular man, and a democrat. He discharged the duties of the office until the expiration of his term, in 1856, with success and ability, when he declined a candidacy for re-election. In his prosecution he met such distinguished lawyers as Colonel A. W. Doniphan, Colonel James H. Moss, Governor Willard P. Hall, and Honorable H. M. Vories. Mr. Garner was chosen to draw up the charter for the city of Richmond and secure its incorporation. In 1858 he advocated, by a thorough and energetic canvass, the proposition submitted to the people of his county for voting $200,000 to aid in building a railroad through the county. In 1861 he was strongly and decidedly for the Union, doing all he could to resist the wave of secession, which threatened to involve his native state in civil war. With unfaltering firmness he remained loyal to the government until the end of that memorable struggle. In 1864 he organized a company for the purpose of defending the town and people against the depredations of bushwhackers, by whom they were threat

« ForrigeFortsett »