Joseph S. Shoop was born May 16,1816, in Washington county, Maryland. When about fifteen years of age, he went to Waynesborough, Pennsylvania^ to learn the trade of cabinet making. After remaining four years and a half thus employed, he spent a few months in Ohio, and then came to Ray county, arriving October 28, 1837, and engaged in the manufacture and sale of furniture until about the year 1863, when he purchased a farm one mile south of Richmond, to which he moved. In the tail of 1878 he again engaged in the furniture business, but continued to reside on his farm, till the spring of 1881, when he rented out his farm and returned to Richmond, and now devotes his whole attention to the furniture business. He is a member of the Christian Church, and is a pious, unobtrusive, honest man. He was married in September, 1842, to Miss Maria Bransford, of Barren county, Kentucky. His first wife died, and some years afterward he was married to Mary E. Baber. They have three children, Cora D., Thomas W. and Clarence.


John P. Norvell was born June 19, 1829, in Tuscumbia, Alabama. When one year old his father moved with him to Pulaski, Middle Tennessee, where he lived till he was fourteen years of age, and with his father's family returned to Alabama. Four years later he went to Mississippi: While in Pulaski, Tennessee, on a visit, in 1846, he enlisted as a soldier in the war against Mexico, in Colonel Jonas Thomas' regiment, termed the "Giles County Troopers," Captain Milton A. Harris. Suffering at the time from a gun-shot wound, he only went as far as Arkansas, and was left, sick. He afterward returned to his home, and in February, 1846, he moved with his father and family to Pontotoc county, Mississippi. In 1852 he moved to Missouri and located at Walnut Grove, in Greene county, where he engaged in farming and dealing in live stock. June 22, 1861, he was mustered into the Confederate army, at West Plains, Missouri, as first lieutenant of company D, first regiment Missouri state guards, McBride's infantry, and served till the close of the war. He was promoted to quartermaster and paymaster of the northern sub-district of Arkansas. During his service in the army he took part in the following principal engagements: Wilson Creek, Oak Hill, Pea Ridge, Corinth, Brownsville, Little Rock, Camden, Pleasant Hill, Mansfield, Jenkins' Creek. After the engagement at the last mentioned place he was promoted and made chief of transportation for General Price in his last raid through Missouri. He was also at the storming of Pilot Knob, and with Shelby in his raid upon Booneville and Glasgow, and in the fights at Lexington, Independence, Coleman, Marais-des-Cygnes, and Newtonia. After the close of the war, Major Norvell went to Jackson, Mississippi, and near that place engaged in cotton raising, dealing in stock, etc. In December, 1873, he returned to Missouri, and located in Madison county, and in December, 1875, went to Kingsville, Johnson county, where he lived till February 1, 1881, at which time he moved to Ray county, where he still resides. He is engaged in farming, and in staging in connection with the Wabash railway. He is the owner of a good farm near Richmond, and is the lessee for five years of a fine blue grass farm, on which he is grazing stock. He, however, resides in Richmond on account of its educational advantages. Major Norvell has been a man of remarkable activity, energy, and pluck. He was a brave soldier, always in the front of battle, and never shirked a duty whatever peril its performance engendered. He was married November 12, 1848, to Miss Elizabeth J. Nisbitt, of Mississippi. She died July 17, 1849; and he was again married January 16, 1858, to Miss Louisa Lawrence, of Springfield, Missouri. They have five living children and three deceased. The living are as follows: Mary Frances, wife of W. C. McFall, of Weatherford, Texas; Laudon S., Rhoda A., Joe Shelby and Fidelia S. Major Norvell is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church.


John R. Hamacher, a native of Scott county, Indiana, was born August 27, 1841. He was brought up to the occupation of a miller. In October, 1861, he enlisted as a private soldier in the Union army, joining company D, 40th infantry regiment, Indiana volunteers, and served gallantly until the close of the war. He was promoted to be second lieutenant, then captain, and afterward major. He was with his regiment in every important battle, and took part in the following: Battles of Cumberland, Yazoo River, Arkansas Post, Grand Gulf, Port Gibson, Raymond, Champion Hills, and Black River Bridge, and was engaged through the entire siege of Vicksburg, and in the battle of Alexandria, Louisiana, after which they were granted a furlough to return home. Upon their returning, they re-enlisted, and were on provost duty at Lexington, Kentucky, Major Hamacher being, part of the time, provost marshal. He was, for a time, military conductor on the Louisville & Lexington railroad. He spent the remainder of his term of service in Kentucky and Tennessee, but was never called into active service. Major Hamacher was not seriously wounded in the war, unless we may except the loss of a finger; yet he was always at his post, and dared to lead where any dared to follow. He never faltered nor lagged in the rear; he loved the clatter of musketry, and the cannon's roar was music to his ears. He was a true soldier, and, as an officer, held the affection of his troops. Upon his return home from the war, he resumed his former occupation of milling. In 1866 he was placed in nomination by his party for county clerk of his county, but the entire republican ticket was defeated. In 1869 he removed to Audrain county, Missouri, and engaged in farming; but, after one year, went to Carroll county, where he also farmed, continuing this vocation until in 1871, he moved to Carrollton, and purchased the woolen mills at that place, which he operated three years, at the end of which period he moved to Ray county and bought a mill, east of Richmond, which, in 1879, he moved to that city and rebuilt; and he now has, in Richmond, one of the finest and most thoroughly equipped steam flouring mills in this part of the state, where he does both local and custom work. John R. Hamacher was married August 2; 1864, to Miss Margaret A. Vandusen, of Scott county, Indiana. To this union were born three children, but one of them is deceased. Gertrude, born October 12, 1867, and Elmer, born March 23, 1871, are living. Mr. Hamacher is a member of the Masonic order.


Andrew J. Botts was born March 30, 1853, in Jefferson county, Iowa. His father was John Botts, a native of Adair' county, Kentucky, born in 1820 and died in 1870 in Macon City, Missouri. His mother's maiden name was Susan Craig, she also, was born in Adair county, Kentucky, and died in Macon City, Missouri, in 1864. When the subject of this sketch was about four years old, his parents moved with him to Macon county, Missouri. In July, 1864, he went into the union army as drummer in company B, 42d Missouri volunteers. He remained with the army until the close of the war—doing garrison duty in Tennessee, and participating in various skirmishes. After the war, he returned home and entered into the tinning business, and in 1867 went to Chillicothe, Missouri, to learn the trade of tinner. He remained there three years, and in 1870 went to Millville, Ray county, and took charge of a hardware store. After two years, he moved to Richmond and opened the hardware store he now owns and conducts. He has a very large and complete stock of hardware goods; in fact it is a store that would do credit to a much larger city. He was married May 24, 1876, to Miss Lina E. Ballinger, of Ray county. They have one child, Walter, born April 30,1877. Mr. Botts is an active, industrious, public spirited young gentleman, and is an honor to the town in which he lives.


William C. Patton, son of Robert W. Patton, a native of Tennessee, and who settled in Ray county more than half a century ago, was born July 30, 1854, in Ray county, Missouri. After attending the common schools, he was entered a student at Richmond College, and in that institution received his education. He taught school a year after leaving college, and then entered the Ray County Savings Bank as clerk. In May, 1877, he accepted a situation in the drug store of Doctors Taylor & Smith, of Richmond, which he held until March, 1881, when he purchased the interest of Dr. Taylor in the drug store, and now, in partnership with Jas. W. Smith, M. D., under the firm name of Smith & Patton, is engaged as druggist and pharmaceutist. Their store is well appointed, and contains every article properly belonging in such an establishment. Mr. Patton has served three terms as recorder of the city of Richmond; further than this, he has not asked the suffrage of his fellow-citizens. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is correct in habits, truthful, high-toned and honorable. He is yet quite young and being strong and vigorous and endued with all the characteristics of true manhood, his future is bright with hope. *


William P. Hubbell was born March 13,1828, in Franklin county, Kentucky. He is a son of Captain William D. Hubbell, who was born at Bridgeport, Connecticut, in 1797, and is still living. Captain W. D. Hubbell was a clerk on the first steamboat .that passed up the Missouri river, in the spring of 1819. He is quite active, both mentally and physically for one of his age, and is still cheerful, interesting and instructive in conversation, and the fact that he must soon "pass on" causes him no gloomy forebodings. He lives at Columbia, Boone county, Missouri. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm. At the age of twelve years his father moved with him to Howard county, Missouri, but remained there but two years, till he removed to Clay county, Missouri. In the spring of 1850, William P. Hubbell went to California, crossing the plains with a train of ox wagons. On the way he and his associate travelers established a ferry across Green river, which they conducted about six weeks, and sold out at a net profit of about $5,000. He returned home in 1851, and engaged in merchandising, first at Liberty, Clay county, and afterward at what is now Missouri City. He continued in business there for eleven years. In July, 1864, he went to Carrollton, Illinois, where he was engaged till the fall of 1865, in the mercantile business. He then came to Richmond, Missouri, and here again resumed his favorite occupation of merchandising. Mr. Hubbell owns, lives on and superintends a beautiful, well improved and fertile farm just outside the limits of Richmond. He has some eight or ten acres in small fruits of various kinds, besides a large orchard of apples, peaches, pears and cherries of the finest varieties. He is also a member of the firm of Shotwell & Co., engaged in coal mining. They have a shaft near Richmond, and employ more than twenty men in taking out the coal. He has been engaged in the mercantile business ever since he came to Richmond, and is now in that occupation in connection with his eldest son, John W. They carry a full stock of dry goods and groceries. William P. Hubbell was married August 25, 1859, to Mary C. Quail, at Washington, Pennsylvania, of which place she is a native. They have the following children living: John W., Mary W., William M., Clarence H. and Charles G. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church, and their exemplary christian character is worthy of all emulation.


William Marshall was born December 12, 1829, in Glasgow, Scotland. In his childhood he accompanied his parents to Canada, and remained there till he became a man. He served an apprenticeship of six years, learning the trade of boot and shoemaker. In the spring of 1852 he came to Richmond, Ray county, Missouri, and for about one year plied his vocation in the employ of another; at the end of that time, he purchased an interest in the shop of his employer, and subsequently, by purchase, became sole proprietor, and has ever since conducted the business alone. William Marshall started in life a poor boy, without any advantages of wealth or personal assistance from others; but by patient toil, prudence and economy, has succeeded in gaining a competency. He has a handsome property, including a comfortable home in the city of Richmond. He has no enemies, and his friends are numbered among the best men in the county. He was married October 9, 1853, to Miss Eliza Kavanaugh, of Ray county, a native of Canada. They have four sons and three daughters living: Sarah E., William E., Robert, Mary C., John, James and Jessie.


John T. Banister was born in Ray county, Missouri, on the 8th day of October, 1851. His father was Judge Nathaniel Banister, a native of Nicholas county, Kentucky. He removed to Missouri and settled in Ray county in the year 1843. Judge Banister was a man greatly esteemed by the people of Ray county. From 1864 to 1.865, he was judge of the probate court of Ray county. He was a prominent lawyer, a wise counselor and a sincere friend, devoted to his neighbors, his county and his country. He died May 18, 1877, in Richmond, Missouri. The subject of this sketch

« ForrigeFortsett »