the lumber yard of McDonald & Company, which position he still holds. He was united in marriage, May 16, 1872, with Miss Maggie Ritenour, of Kansas City. They have had four children, only one of whom, Mamie, born May 1, 1879, is living. Mr. Devlin is a member of the M. E. Church South. His wife also, is a member of that church. He is also a member of the A. O. U. W. A worthy citizen, he receives the respect of all who know him.


Matthew J. Creel was born, August 18, 1833, in Culpepper county, Virginia. When about sixteen years of age, he went to learn the carpenter's trade, and served an apprenticeship of four years. In 1855 he emigrated to Van Buren county, Iowa, and two years later came to Ray county, Missouri. He was exetensively engaged in farming till the outbreaking of the civil war. After the close of the war, he embarked in the mercantile business, and followed it for about ten years. Abandoning mercantile life, he resumed his trade, and has since worked at it in the city of Richmond, Missouri, continuously. He has been a, member of the M. E. Church South for many years, all the time one of the most active and untiring workers in behalf of his church, and of religion generally. He takes a warm interest in the Sunday-school work; leads in the Sunday-school singing, and is also leader of the church choir. His wife is also a member of the M. E. Church South, and is a pious, unassuming Christian woman. He was married, May 10, A. D. 1859, to Miss Mary E. Branstetter, of Richmond, Missouri. They have eight children: Sallie P., Myrtie E., Henry L., Sterling Price, James P., Edward B., Mattie H., and John E.


John R. Green was born November 4, 1858, in Caldwell county, Missouri. He is the son of John W. Green, Esq., a native of Kentucky, born in 1836, and now a respected citizen of Richmond, Missouri. In 1866 our subject moved with his father's family to Richmond, Ray county, where he has ever since resided. He was, like many other excellent and scholarly young men of Ray county, educated at Richmond College. After leaving school, he was employed for about four years as clerk in a drug store at Richmond. January 1, 1879, he accepted the appointment as deputy circuit clerk under the late John W. Spurlock, and in that capacity continued to act until the spring of 1881, when he was appointed by Governor Crittenden, clerk of Ray circuit court, to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of John W. Spurlock, Esq. During his service as deputy clerk, Mr. Green had control of the office a great deal of the time, owing to the protracted illness of Mr. Spurlock, and when appointed $

to the office was well qualified for the position. As an officer he is courteous, attentive, and in every way efficient. As a private citizen, he is generous, obliging, and honorable. A brilliant future is before him.


Charles Sevier, son of Major Robert Sevier, was born at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, September 30, 1832. In 1840, he, with his father's family, located at Richmond, Ray county, Missouri. He was educated at the Richmond College, and at the Masonic Institute, Lexington, Missouri. In 1853 he entered the circuit clerk and recorder's office, (ex-officio) as assistant to his father, then the incumbent of those offices. He was shortly afterward appoint his father s deputy, and continued as such until 1865. He then went to farming on his farm near Richmond. Mr. Sevier owns a fine tract of land of about two thousand acres, most of which is in the vicinity of Richmond. During the past two years much of his time has been engrossed in settling the estate of his father; he has, however, all the time superintended his large tracts of farming land, most of which are in grass. Charles Sevier was married in 1856, to Susan L. Murrell, of Lafayette county, Missouri. To this union were born the following children, who are living: Samuel M., born August 10, 1859; (who has recently graduated at Kemper's Family School, Booneville, Missouri,) and Isabel, born January 5, 1862. His wife, an amiable lady, died June 4, 1866. Mr. Sevier was again married January 28, 1869, to Emma A. Dines, of Ray county. She is an accomplished, estimable lady. They have four children: Robert, born December 1, 1869; George F., born July 28, 1872; Mary R., born July 27, 1876, and Ann H., born April 24, 1878. Mr. Sevier is a member of the Presbyterian Church, a good citizen, and an honest man.


Louis zur Megede was born in Soest, Prussia, in the year 1821. In his boyhood he served a full apprenticeship, learning the jeweler's trade. In 1841, when he was twenty years of age, he immigrated to the United States, and settled in St. Louis, Missouri. After working for a time as journeyman jeweler, he opened a shop on his own account in St. Louis, which he conducted about two years, and then moved with his stock of jewelry to Lexington, Lafayette county, Missouri. This was in the year 1849. He remained in Lexington, until the year 1877, when he moved to Richmond, Ray county, where he has ever since resided, and is a respected, useful citizen. In 1858, however, he had established a branch store in Richmond, which he left in charge of a Mr. Ludniz. This stock, at the commencement of the civil war, he moved back to Lexington; and again in 1865, reopened his branch store in.Richmond, which, under his direction, was conducted by a Mr. Engler, until Mr. zur Megede moved with his family to Richmond to make the place his permanent home. He is a successful business man, having in his store a large and complete stock, not only of watches, clocks and jewelry, but of musical instruments, wall paper, stationery and books. He has a comfortable home in Richmond having just finished a handsome new residence. He was married in Prussia, February 24, 1861, to Isabella Dallinger. They have had seven children, of whom-two are deceased. The living are: Louis, born March 13, 1862; he is now engaged with his father in the store; Emelie, born September 20, 1865; Bella, born July 12,1867; Albert, born May 5, 1869, and Frederick Amo, born July 2, 1879. The older members of - Mr. zur Megede's family belong to the Presbyterian Church.' He is the youngest son of William zur Megede, who was burgomaster of the city of Soest.


John P. Quesenberry is a native of Barren county, Kentucky, where he was educated, and grew from infancy to manhood. In 1840, he moved to Richmond, Ray county, Missouri, and has ever since resided in that town. He was first employed as salesman in the dry goods store of J. S. Hughes & Co., and afterward with James S. Lightner. He was attentive, industrious and efficient in these positions, and of course, filled them with credit to himself, and to the profit and satisfaction of his employers. By the year 1848, he had saved out of his earnings sufficient means to go into business on his own account, and in that year, in co-partnership with Robert McGee, Esq., opened a general store, under the firm name of J. P. Quesenberry & Co.; and, although Mr. McGee withdrew from the firm in a few years, the firm name has never been changed, and still remains, J. P. Quesenberry & Co., though the subject of this sketch in the sole proprietor. Mr. Quesenberry has been long and actively engaged in business in Richmond; he has been a leading merchant of the town for almost a half century, and during all that time has earnestly labored to promote the interests of his town and county. He lives not alone for his own aggrandizement, but to contribute to the well-being of those among whom he lives. He has been longer engaged as a merchant in Richmond, than any other man. In June, 1861, he joined the Confederate army, and was one of the first to enter that service from Ray county. He enlisted as a private soldier, but in April, 1862, was made quartermaster of his regiment, and served as such until July of the same year, when he was elected first lieutenant of his company, and in November following, the captain having fallen in battle, Lieutenant Quesenberry was elected to the captaincy, and held that rank until May, 1865, when he resigned on account of ill health, but remained with his command until the close of the war. He was present at, and participated in the following battles:

Carthage, Springfield, Lexington, (Missouri), Oak Hill, Helena, Prairie Grove, Mansfield, Pleasant Hill, (Louisana), and Jenkins' Ferry, besides numerous engagements of minor importance. In the army, as well as in civil life, Captain Quesenberry was always punctual—never "behind time." In camp he was genial, cheerful and full of life; in battle, brave, unfaltering, and at the fore-front. After the war, when peace was restored, he returned to his home, sorrowful, but not despondent, and resumed his former vocation, that of merchandising, in which he is now engaged. Captain Quesenberry takes a deep interest in all that looks to the improvement of his county, educational, religious or otherwise. He has long been united with the M. E. Church South, at Richmond, and is a leading member of the Masonic fraternity, having joined that order in 1845. There are many "good men and true," in Ray county; Captain Quesenberry is one of them, and none are more highly esteemed and respected.


Henry C. Burgess was born in Independence, Jackson county, Missouri, in 1845. In 1859, he, with his parents moved to Johnson county, Missouri, where they remained until in 1863, when they removed to Richmond, Ray county. Mr. Burgess, in his youth, learned the wagon maker's trade, working at the business with his father, until the latter's death in 1878, when he and his brother, Thomas J. Burgess, took charge of the shop and business, and have since, as before, had an extensive trade. He, in partnership with his brother, does a general blacksmithing and wagon making business. They also repair wagons, buggies and farm implements, as well as manufacture both, wagons and buggies. They are superior workmen, and their work is equal in every particular to that made in eastern shops. They employ generally, from five to eight workmen. The subject of this sketch is a son of Thomas N., who was born in Madison county, Kentucky, about the year 1812, and died in Richmond, Missouri, in 1878. His mother's maiden name was Couchman; she, also, was a native of Kentucky, and was born in 1815; died in 1874. The shop and residence of his brother, T. M. Burgess, were destroyed by the cyclone of June 1, 1878. Two of the family died from injuries received, and five others were seriously wounded. The house, shop and contents were utterly destroyed. The brothers, however, nothing daunted, began anew after the disaster, and have succeeded admirably. Henry C. Burgess is a member of the Christian Church, and also of the Knights of Honor. He is an industrious, energetic, and worthy gentleman, and fully merits the success he has achieved, as well as the esteem in which he is held by his fellow-townsmen.


The subject of this sketch is a brother of Henry C. Burgess. He was born in 1860, in Jackson county, Missouri. His parents moved to Richmond, Ray county, in the fall of 1863, and here Mr. Burgess has ever since resided. He was educated at Richmond College. When about thirteen years of age he commenced to learn blacksmithing, working under different persons, till the death of his father, when he and his brother succeeded to the business, which is fully described in connection with the biographical sketch of Henry C. Burgess. Mr. Burgess is yet quite young, but he is a skilled artisan, and being intelligent, prudent and persevering, his future is full of promise.


Isaac L. Burgess was born in 1844 in Independence, Jackson county, Missouri. He is a brother of H. C., and T. J. Burgess. In 1855, he moved with his parents to Johnson county, Missouri. He learned the trade of wagon-maker under his father, who was a skilled workman. In 1861, he enlisted in company G, 1st Missouri cavalry, Colonel Gordon's regiment of General Joe O. Shelby's brigade, Confederate army, and served until the fall of 1864. He fought bravely and well, taking part in the following engagements: Carthage, Springfield, Prairie Grove, Helena, Franklin and Nashville, Tennessee. After returning home from the army, he went to the Rocky Mountains and spent one year there, and again returned to Ray county, and engaged in farming, which he continued for two years; after which he resumed his trade in Richmond, Missouri, and has followed it ever since. He is an excellent workman and has a large trade; the people liberally patronizing him because of his industry, energy and superior workmanship. Mr. Burgess is a member of the order of Knights of Honor. He is a worthy gentleman, prompt to meet every engagement reliable, honest, and honorable. January 10, 1869, he was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Walker, an intelligent, amiable lady, of Ray county, Missouri. They have two children, Charles F., born February 11, 1871, and Lulu, born February 17, 1874.


Henry P. Grow was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, January 13, 1848, and lived in that city until 1860, when he, with his parents, moved to Ohio. In 1864 he enlisted in company C, 23d Ohio Union volunteers, and remained in the army till the close of the war. His regiment, which he was always with, save when disabled by a wound, took part in the battle of Cedar Creek, Virginia, October 19, 1864. In this engagement Mr. Grow was severely wounded in the left leg, and in the morning was

« ForrigeFortsett »