profession, associated with his father. While attending medical college in St. Louis, he still retained an interest in the drug store of Dr. W. W. Mosby & Son, at Richmond. He is yet a partner of his father in this store, which they have conducted for a number of years. They have recently completed a large brick building, in which is their drug store— one of the best appointed and most extensive in this part of the state. Mr. Mosby is a young man, highly esteemed for his integrity, good nature and exemplary moral character. He is energetic, affable and obliging, and the confidence and esteem with which he is regarded are not unworthily bestowed.


Louis Baum was born in Bosen, Prussia, in the year 1843. When about fifteen years of age, he came to the United States, and located in Richmond, Ray county, Missouri, where he engaged in selling goods till the breaking out of the civil war. He then began dealing in horses and mules, buying and selling them to the government, which he continued till the close of the war. He then bought and sold horses and mules on his own account, shipping to St. Louis and New Orleans. In 1879, he formed a co-partnership with George I. Wasson, Esq. They erected a large stable, and have since done a very extensive business, buying, during the past eighteen months over $120,000 worth of mules and horses. Mr. Baum is a man of great energy and strict integrity. He is a son of Mishel Baum, a native of Germany, who came to America about the year 1879, and died in St. Louis, Missouri, May 31, 1881, at the age of eighty-four. He had seven children, six of whom were at his death-bed. The youngest daughter, living in New York, was not present. Mr. Baum is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is also a member of two secret societies, known as Free Sons of Israel and Bena Brith, both of them in St. Louis. Mr. Baum's success has been achieved by energy, industry and perseverance, and his life is an example by which every young man may profit.


John W. Francis was born in Madison county, Ohio, on the 14th day of May, 1842. His father, Alexander B. Francis, was born in the same county and state, on the 28th day of January, 1817. His mother's name, before marriage, was Virginia A. Elsey. She was born in Virginia on the 9th of January, 1823, and was the eldest of a family of seven children. His parents were married on the 1st of August, 1841, and three years afterward in the spring of 1844, the year of the great overflow of the Missouri river, emigrated to the state of Missouri. They traveled mainly by steamboat in seeking their new home in the west. They landed first at Booneville, Missouri, but remained there only a short time, selecting, after a few weeks, Sugar Tree township, Carroll county, for their new home. His occupation here was farming, until the death of his mother, in April, 1854, when he lived for a short time in the family of Wilson Malone, and with his aunt Betsey Francis. His father marrying Margaret Colley, in 1855, he returned home and lived with his father until the death of his father's second wife. His father then sent him to live with John F. Dale, four miles northwest of Richmond, where he remained until his father married the third time, July 14, 1857, uniting his fortunes this time with Mary A. Proffltt. His father, about this time, purchased a small farm, seven miles north of Richmond, and lived on it until his death, which took place July 11, 1862. Before his father's death, a few months, he enlisted in the United States service, volunteering as a private in company K. 23d Missouri volunteers, for the term of three years from the 22d day of December, 1861. This regiment was then stationed at Grand River Bridge, one mile east of Utica, and shortly afterward went into winter quarters at Chillicothe, Missouri. On or about the 1st of March, 1862, his regiment was ordered to Benton Barracks, St. Louis, and after some thorough drilling, it was ordered to Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee. It left St. Louis by steamboat, on the first day of April, 1862, and succeeded in reaching its point of destination, Saturday, April 5, 1862, in time to participate in the great battle of Pittsburg Landing, on the 6th and 7th of April, 1862. His regiment was in General B. M. Prentiss' brigade, in the battle, and suffered terribly, having been greatly exposed in the hottest part of the engagement. His company (company K) was fearfully depleted. Out of eighty men in this company that went into action, only fifteen answered at roll call at the close of the battle, the remainder being killed, wounded or taken prisoners. In fact, the entire regiment had met with such a heavy loss, that it was sent back to Alton Illinois, to recruit. The brave colonel of the regiment, Colonel Jacob T. Tindall, was killed on the first day of the battle, April 6,1862. Mr. Francis received a wound in this battle, and was sent back to hospital in St. Louis, to receive surgical treatment. After recovering from his wound he rejoined his regiment, which had partly filled up its thinned ranks with new recruits, and in 1863 took up its line of march to McMinnville, Tennessee; thence to the front at Chattanooga, Tennessee, and took part in all the battles and skirmishes from there to Atlanta, Georgia. The prominent battles in which he was, were Mission Ridge, Resaca, Georgia; Ringgold, Georgia; Allatoona, Georgia; Kenesaw Mountains, Georgia; and in the siege of Atlanta. When his regiment arrived at Atlanta, it was assigned to the first brigade, third division, fourteenth army corps, army of the Cumberland. After the capture of Atlanta, he was in the memorable march after the Confederate General Hood and his army, when he went back to Franklin, Tennessee. On the Coosa river, near Rome, Georgia, General Sherman divided his army, and sent the fourth and twentieth corps to oppose General Hood and the remainder of the army concentrated at Kingston, Georgia, and severed communication with the world. He was one of the grand army that marched with Sherman to the sea, and was one of the boys in blue, in that celebrated march, and took part in all the movements of the victorious columns that General Grant characterized as prompt, skillful and brilliant. He was discharged in 1865, at Hilton Head, South Carolina, and took passage on the ocean steamer Fulton, for New York City, thence by railroad to Ray county, Missouri. On reaching home he found his father and brother were both dead, and the other members of the family living at different places. He turned his attention to farming for a short time after he came home. In the spring of 1865, a regiment of Missouri militia was organized in Ray county, and he was elected captain of one of the companies, (company D), and duly commissioned by Thomas C. Fletcher, governor of Missouri, on the 5th day of May, 1865. In October, 1865, he went to Lawrence, Kansas, and hired to a freighting firm to drive a team of oxen across the plains to Fort Union, New Mexico, and was caught in a severe storm on the Cimarron, in New Mexico, and lost over three hundred head of oxen by freezing and starving to death. In the spring of the year following, he went on to Fort Union and Las Vegas, delivered over freight, and returned to Ray county in the summer of 1866. After the Richmond bank robbery, May 23, 1867, when John Shaw, mayor of Richmond, F. S. Griffin, deputy sheriff, and Benjamin G. Griffin, his father, were killed by the bank robbers, he was appointed deputy sheriff by Mr. A. K. Reyburn, who was then sheriff of Ray county. He acted as his deputy until his term of office expired. In November, 1868, he was elected sheriff and collector of Ray county, on the Republican ticket.

On August 24, 1869, he married Amelia J. Reyburn, then seventeen years old, and eldest daughter of A. K. Reyburn, ex-sheriff of Ray county. The issue of the marriage has been two boys: Harry and Willie. The latter one, Willie, died January, 1874. In November, 1870, he was re-elected sheriff by a larger majority than any one on the ticket, running ahead of the party vote. He was also elected one term to the city council, and one term, marshal of the city of Richmond, from April, 1870, to April, 1871. After the expiration of his term as sheriff and collector of Ray county, he went to Colorado and remained there about one year, then returned to Richmond, and shortly afterward moved to Hardin, Ray county, and was appointed by the board of trustees, marshal and collector, and served one term. He then moved back to Richmond. During his official career as sheriff, he discharged the duties of his office with marked ability. He pursued and captured many criminals and fugitives from justice. Among the most noted ones were, James Devvers, whom he captured in Madison county, Kentucky, the reward being $1100. James Devvers was one of the bank robbers in Richmond, May 23, 1867. Another was William McDow, who killed Ben Houston near Knoxville, Missouri. He was caught at Lone Jack, Missouri, reward being $500. He also captured Abe Lee, who had killed his man in Mandeville, Carroll county, Missouri. In April, 1877, he was appointed as postal clerk in the railway mail service by Postmaster General D. M. Key, a position which he now holds. He moved to the city of St. Louis at the time he was appointed, and still resides there. He was at one time a stockholder in the Ray County Savings Bank, and a director of the Ray County Agricultural Association. By his energy and close attention to business and the duties of his office, he acquired a large amount of property. He at one time owned the fine brick mansion east of Richmond, and four hundred acres of land near and adjoining the city. In the great financial crash of 1873, that involved so many men of capital and business talent, he lost the great bulk of the fortune he had amassed. His great energy and capacity for whatever he turns his attention to, are rapidly elevating him to a high position in the prominent circles of business men of the country. His career, so far, is a fine example of what pluck and peseverance will do in overcoming all the unfavorable surroundings and obstacles of early life.


The early pioneers of our county are rapidly passing away; ere long the last of them will have been "gathered to their fathers." Among the few who yet survive is Holland Vanderpool, a native of Campbell county, East Tennessee. He was born December, 24, 1806. His father, John Vanderpool, was the very first settler in Ray county. He came in the summer of the year 1815, and located on Crooked river, in the southeastern part of the county, and the early years of our subject's life were those of the pioneer. School advantages were meagre—in fact there were no schools—and Mr. Vanderpool's literary training is, in consequence, limited to such as he acquired at home, with no further assistance from others than the teaching him of the alphabet by his parents. August 28, 1828, Mr. Vanderpool was married to Miss Leah Linville, also a native of Tennessee. The result of this union was ten children, only four of whom are now living, as follows: Franklin, James K., George W. and Martha. Holland Vanderpool has spent almost his entire life in Ray county, and now that his head is blossoming for the grave, he is sustained and blessed by the reflection that he has "lived honorably, hurt nobody, and rendered every man his due." For more than forty years he has been a faithful, consistant member of the Old School Baptist Church. A man of proverbial kindness, he has done much to relieve the. sufferings of others—ministering to the distressed, healing the sick and dispensing charity to those truly in need, whenever and wherever he could. Mr. Vanderpool took no part in the civil war. He remained at home, pursuing his life-long vocation of farming. He has made it the ruling principle of his life " to do unto others as he would be done by," and has therefore the respect of all who know him. A worthy citizen, a warmhearted, obliging gentleman. We are happy to pay this tribute to a character deserving a more extended notice than the plan of this work will allow.


Alexander Oliphant was born at Marlfield, near Kelso, county of Roxborough, in Scotland, in 1806, and died from the effects of injuries received from a fall in Leavenworth, Kansas, September 22, 1878. He married Mrs. Martha Nisbet, widow of John Nisbet, December 7, A. D. 1837, in the county of Armagh, in Ireland. His wife survives him. He had two children, Mary G. Oliphant, now Maitland, wife of Alexander Maitland, and Ralph Oliphant, both of whom survive him. Johanna H. N. Nisbet was a daugher of Mrs. Martha Oliphant by her first husband, who married James W. Black, of Richmond, Missouri. She died October 3, A. D. 1860. In 1838, Mr. Oliphant left Scotland for the purpose of making his future home in the United States. In the same year he settled on his farm, seven miles north of Richmond, in Ray county, in the state of Missouri, where he remained until the day of his death. Mr. Oliphant having become a citizen of this country, always took a lively interest in its prosperity. In all the issues peculiar to a new country constantly springing up, he displayed a clear judgment and great thought in forming his conclusions. As a farmer he was active, enterprising and successful. His farm was a model of enterprise. Always ready to encounter the risk of the adoption of modern appliances and methods, he kept pace with the great progress in agricultural pursuits. In the raising ot fruit and culture of the grapes, he displayed great art, and brought to bear a knowledge of botany that only intense observation and study can supply, and in whatever direction he turned his attention in the raising of staple productions, the introduction of improved quality of cereals, the raising of stock or culture of fruit of every character, he was not satisfied to tread the trodden path, but sought from observation and science, and treatises upon the subject that knowledge which would enable him to keep fully up with the greatest advance of science. His dwelling, surrounded by plants and flowers, indigenous and exotic, displayed his culture and taste and rendered his home a bower of beauty which a Shenstone or a Rogers might have envied. Amidst all his busy and active pursuits he still retained his love

« ForrigeFortsett »