marriage was ten children, six of whom are yet living: Alexander, born October 6, 1846; Elizabeth, born August 20, 1849; Janette, born June 6, 1853; James W., born November 21, 1855; Sarah C., born March 15, 1858; John R., born January 15, 1868; Mary Jane, born September 2, 1848, died October 4, 1848; Nancy, born November 7, 1851, died July 27, 1852; Mary E., born April 12, 1863, died May 8, 1864. Mr. Bogart served as justice of the peace for ten years. He is a prosperous farmer and a good citizen.


James L. Tucker was born in Ray county, Missouri, April 17, 1843. His parents were Daniel H. and Milly Tucker, natives of the state of North Carolina. At the commencement of the civil war, Mr. Tucker enlisted in the home guard militia, and served for about six months, when he joined company B, M Missouri cavalry, under Captain A. Allen, and served for three years. He participated in the battles of Springfield, Monia, Cane Hill, and Neosho. At the close of the war he returned to Ray county, and went from here to Dakota territory as a teamster; was gone about a year. Soon after his return here from Dakota he was married May 29, 1866, to Miss Sarah S. Wholf, daughter of John Wholf, a native of Ohio. She was born in Ray county, Missouri, September 22, 1843. In the year 1870, Mr. Tucker located on the southeast quarter of section six, town fifty-one, range twenty-nine, where he has since resided. He owns eighty acres of excellent, well-improved land, and is prospering well. Mr. and Mrs. Tucker have four children living, and three dead: Hannah, born August 7, 1868; Milly, born October 30, 1869; Michael W., born September 7, 1874; Fannie L., born October 28,1880; Kitty A., born April 30, 1871; died Sepember 15,1872; Daniel H., born December 14, 1872; died October 10,1873; Mary E.,born October 2,1876; died October 29, 1879. Mr. Tucker is a good citizen, and highly esteemed by his neighbors.


James Buist was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, April 21,1835. His parents, David and Robino Buist, were also natives of Scotland. His parents both died when James was quite young, and he lived in the family of his uncle until he was eighteen years of age, when he began to earn his own livelihood. When nineteen years old our subject emigrated to America, landing at New York on the 15th day of May, 1857. He went to Philadelphia and remained there until 1860, and then came to Missouri, locating first in Clay county, for a short time, and then coming to Ray where he has since had his home. From 1862, to 1863, Mr. Buist was a teamster in government employ, connected with a supply train. He was married May 16, 1865, to Miss Margaret E. Smith, daughter of Philip and Jane Smith. Her father was born in the north of Ireland, and her mother in Missouri. She was born in Platte county Missouri, June 26, 1849. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Buist: David, born in December, 1867; William, born December 13, 1869; Mary, born November 4, 1873. Mrs. Buist died February 16, 1877, and Mr. Buist was married again, June 7, 1878, to Mrs. Mary E. Harris. They became the parents of one child, Annie, born in May, 1879. Mr. Buist lived unhappily with his second wife, and they are now separated by divorce. He is a well-to-do farmer, and a valuable citizen.


Dr. S. A. Paxton was born April 24,1847, in Lincoln county, Kentucky. His parents were William and Matilda J. Paxton. His father was born in 1808, and his mother in 1818. When our subject was quite young, his parents removed to Missouri, stopping, for a time, in Pike county, and then went to Montgomery county, and, in the year 1868, came to Ray county. Remaining here but a short time, they went to Colorado, thence to Texas, and various other localities, finally returning here to settle permanently. Dr. Paxton graduated from the McDowell Medical College, at St. Louis, in February, 1877, and has since been engaged, very successfully, in the practice of his profession. He is now located at the town of Orrick, and is a popular rising young physician, and a leading citizen of the town.


Samuel Tarwater was born in Tennessee in the year 1806. His parents removed to Ray county, Missouri, in the autumn of 1816, and settled among the Pottawattamie Indians, who then dwelt in this county. They endured all the privations and hardships incident to pioneer life. Our subject remained at home with his parents until he was eighteen years of age and then began working for himself. He was married in the year 1824, to Miss Polly Broadhurst, by Rev. W. Turnadge. They lived happily together for a quarter of a century, and then Mrs. Tarwater died, and in 1852, Mr. Tarwater was again married to Mrs. Elizabeth Orphet. After seventeen years of wedded life, she, too, died. Mr. Tarwater was married the third time in 1869, to Miss Sarah E. Mills. She lived only about two years after her marriage, and Mr. Tarwater was left alone by death the third time. His fourth marriage was with Mrs. Malinda E. Brown. She died two years after her marriage and our subject was for the fifth time married May 15, 1881, to Mrs. Mary A. Scott, the daughter of Thomas and Psyche Keeny. Her father was a native of North Carolina and her mother of Tennessee. Mrs. Tarwater was born March 20, 1831, in this county. Mr. Tarwater is the father of nine children by his first marriage, seven by the second and one by the third marriage. Of these, only three of his first wife's and three of his second wife's children and the one of the third wife are now living. Mr. Tarwater is one of the oldest and best citizens of Ray county. As early as the age of eighteen years he engaged in numerous skirmishes with roving bands of hostile Indians, who, not infrequently raided the settlements for purposes of theft or murder. He was also engaged in the Heatherly and the' Mormon wars. In a fight with Mormons on Crooked river, two of them attacked him at once with corn knives and nearly cut him to pieces. He received a terrible gash in the skull, through which the brain was plainly visible, was cut about the throat and one terrible blow across the face severed the jaw bone and destroyed all the upper teeth. From the effects of these wounds, Mr. Tarwater was compelled to keep his bed nearly six months and has never, entirely recovered, for the wound on his head affected his memory and the injury to his mouth caused an impediment in his speech. Samuel Tarwater, now venerable with nearly four score years, has been closely identified with and assisted in the progress of Ray county from an almost primeval wilderness \f> her present proud position of wealth and population in the front ranks of the sisterhood of counties that go to make up the grand old commonwealth of Missouri.


Cyrus D. Gant was born in Ray county, Missouri, September 10,1839. He is the son of Joshua A. Gant, a native of North Carolina. At the age of twenty years, he began to work for himself, and was, September 17, 1866, married to Miss Ella M. Hughes, daughter of John and Deborah Hughes, natives of Kentucky. They have six children: William, born September 2, 1867; James N., born November 17, 1868; Leila, born March 1, 1874; Ora L., born January 10, 1876; Maud, born September 3, 1878; Ella, born March 13, 1881. When the civil war commenced, Mr. Gaut enlisted in company C, Third Missouri Confederate cavalry and served with that regiment for six months, and was then transferred to the Third Missouri infantry, in which he served throughout the remainder of the war. He participated in the battles of Lexington, Pea Ridge, first and second Iuka, Corinth, Vicksburg, Grand Gulf, Black River, Atlanta, Kenesaw and Franklin or Stone River. At the last named battle he was wounded five times, and being left on the field, fell into the hands of the Union troops. He was kept at Franklin two months and was then sent to the hospital at Nashville, where he remained about the same length of time. He was released at Camp Chase in Ohio the same day that President Lincoln was assassinated. He walked to St. Louis, and there meeting a friend who kindly furnished him with the necessary means he was enabled to take passage on the steamboat up the river and thus reached home again after an absense of more than three years. Mr. Gant is now engaged as a trader and dealer in live stock. He does a thriving, paying business, and is a valuable member of the community of Vibbard, where he resides. He is highly respected by his neighbors and friends, and is a leading and influential citizen.

JAMES GREENE. James Greene was born in the state of Tennessee, April 15, 1811. His parents were David and Jorissa Greene, natives of White county, Tennessee. Our subject came to Ray county, Missouri, in the year 1832, and engaged in farming, which has been his life-long avocation. In the year 1845, James Greene was married to Miss Mary Hough, daughter of Absolom Hough, a native of Germany. She was born November 20, 1824. They have six children, living: Martin V., born October 2, 1842; David, born November 25, 1844; Nancy, born August 4, 1848; Samuel, born June 6, 1853; Martha, born March 1}, 1858; James, born January 8, 1869. Mr. Greene served eighteen months at the beginning of the late civil war, as a member of Colonel King's staff (Union army). At the expiration of that term of service, he re-enlisted in the 44th regiment of Missouri volunteer infantry, and served in the battles of Pea Ridge and Spanish Fort, as well as all other engagements in which his regiment participated. At the last named battle he was under fire for eleven days. At the close of the war he was discharged at St. Louis, and returned to his family in Ray county. Both Mr. Greene and his wife are members of the Christian Church. He is an industrious, thrifty, and successful farmer and a good citizen.

H. D. HATFIELD. The subject of this sketch was born in Campbell county, Tennessee, in the year 1837, and was brought by his parents when four years old, to Knoxville, Ray county, Missouri. His father was a farmer, and our subject was raised on a farm. Having completed the course of study taught in the common schools, he began teaching at the age of nineteen years, and pursued that profession with good success during eight years. He then entered the drug and grocery business at Haller, and continued it, at that place, for about six years, and until his removal to R. & L. Junction. There he was occupied in the same line of business for about two years, and then selling out at the Junction, he removed to Lawson, this county, and built a large and commodious store house there, in which he conducts a very profitable trade in drugs and groceries. Mr. Hatfield was married at Lawson, in the month of June, 1878, to Miss Fannie Potter, of Gentry county, Missouri, by the Reverend Mr. Roote. They became the parents of two children, both of whom died in infancy. Mr. Hatfield is a rising, popular merchant and a public spirited man.


G. W. Montgomery was born in Gallatin county, Kentucky, July 31, 1833, and received his education and grew up there. At the age of twenty-one years, he left home and went to California, where he staid about eighteen months, and then returned to his native county, and again attended school for one year. At the expiration of that time he came to Missouri, and, stopping first in Clinton county, taught school there for one year, and then came to Ray county. He taught school for a time after his arrival in this county, and then engaged in farming until the outbreaking of the civil war. In 1861 he enlisted in company F, Hughe's regiment of state guards, Slack's brigade, and served for three months, and then returned home. In the winter of 1861, he enlisted in company A, second Missouri regiment, Confederate States army, and remained in the service until March, 1862, and then went to Kentucky, where he remained until 1865, and then, returning to this county, engaged in farming until 1870, and then entered the hardware and lumber trade, which he continued until February, 1881, when he established his present business, that of furniture, undertakers' goods and agricultural implements, at the town of Lawson. Mr. Montgomery was married in the year 1858, to Miss Agnes Clevenger, who was born in Ray county in the year 1843. They became the parents of two children, Elizabeth, now Mrs. Brock, and Robert E. Mr. Montgomery was married the second time, in 1872, to Flora Childs, who was born in the state of New York, in 1849. He is a member of the Bee-Hive Lodge, No. 393, A. F. & A. M., at Lawson, and is also a leading member of the M. E. Church South


The gentleman whose name heads this article was born in Franklin county, Kentucky, December 26, 1820. He left Kentucky when seven years of age, with his parents, and coming to- Missouri, locating first in Clay county, where he remained until 1854, and then came to Ray county and located upon his present farm, in section thirty, township twenty-nine, range fifty-four. He owns a fine farm of 278 acres, well improved and in an excellent state of cultivation. He is also engaged in raising stock, and has a fine herd of blooded cattle, and also a flock of well-bred sheep. Commenced dealing in lumber, at Lawson, in the autumn of 1871, and in 1873 added a stock of hardware to his business, and has since continued both lines in addition to his farm. He owns a fine store-house at Lawson, and is doing a prosperous business. Mr. Brock was engaged in the local war against the Mormons, and was also in the state militia, under command of Colonel Doniphan. He was married March 17, 1853, in Clay county, Missouri, to Miss Diana Moore, by the Reverend Mr. Price,

« ForrigeFortsett »