Third, Archibald.
Fourth, George.

Fifth, Jane, married, December 26th, 1774, to the present Duke of Athol, and died in November 1791.

Sixth, Mary, married to Thomas Graham, Esq. and died June 26th, 1792.

Seventh, Louisa, married, first, May 5th, 1776, David Murray, Viscount Stormont, afterwards Earl of Mansfield, created Countess of Mansfield in her own righi. (See that title in vol. v.) She married, secondly, October 19th, 1797, her cousin, the Hon. Robert Fulke Grevile, brother to the Earl of Warwick.

His Lordship dying July 21st, 1776, was

Succeeded by his eldest son William, present and tenth Lord Cathcart, Pirst Viscount CATHCART, who having like his ancestors been brought up in the army, was made a major-general, October 4th, 1794, and a lieutenant general, January 1st, 1801.

December 8th, 1792, he was appointed to the command of the twenty-pinth regiment of foot from the foot-guards; and on August 7th, 1797, to the second regiment of life-guards.

His Lordship was elected in several successive parliaments one of the sixteen peers of Scotland, till his elevation to the British peerage.

In 1803, his Lordship was appointed commander in chief in Ireland, in which he was succeeded by Lord Harrington in 1806.

Having been employed in many active services, his Lordship was in the autumn of 1807 sent commander in chief of the mili. tary force of the expedition to Copenhagen. It is well-known that the result of this expedition was the taking of Copenhagen; and obtaining possession of the Danish fleet, and the naval stores in the arsenal.

For these services he was rewarded with a British peerage, by the title of Viscount CATHCART and BARON GRENOCK, by patent, November 30, 1807.

His Lordship married, June 1779, Miss Elliot, daughter of Andrew Elliot, Esq. by whom he has issue.

First, William, born June 30th, 1782, in the royal navy.

Second, Charles-Murray, a major in the army, May 14th, 1807, and assistant quarter-master-general in North Britain, born December 21st, 1783.

Third, Frederick, born October 28th, 1789, a captain in the Scotch Greys.

Fourth, Louisa, born June 14th, 1791.

Fifth, George, born May 12th, 1794.
Sixth, Mary-Elizabeth, born September 22d, 1797.
Seventh, Augusta-Sophia, born November 1799.
And a son, born June 28th, 1803.

His Lordship is vice-admiral and judge of the admiralty in Scotland; lord lieutenant of the county of Clackmannan; and Knight of the most ancient order of the Thistle.

Titles. William Cathcart, Viscount Cathcart, and Baron Grenock; and Baron Cathcart in Scotland.

Creations. Viscount Cathcart and Baron Grenock, by patent November 30, 1907; Baron Cathcart in Scotland, 1447.

Arms. Quarterly, first and fourth azure, three cross crosslets fitcheé issuing out of as many crescents argent: second and third Gules, a lion rampant argent.

Crest. On a wreath a dexter hand couped above the wrist, and erect, proper, grasping a crescent, as in the arms.

Supporters. Two parrots proper.
Chief Seat. At Sundram in Airshire.

[graphic][subsumed][merged small]

Sir Arthur WelleslEY, K. B. Viscount WellinGTON, is fifth son of RICHARD, first Earl of Mornington in Ireland, and younger brother to the present Marquis Wellesley.

His Lordship was born May 1st, 1769, and embracing a military life, served in India under Marquis Cornwallis, and obtained the lieutenant-colonelcy of the thirty-third, the Marquis's regiment, early in the late war.

On April 20th, 1802, he obtained the rank of major-general; and on April 25, 1808, of lieutenant-general. On February 12, 1806, on the death of Marquis Cornwallis, he was appointed to the command of the thirty third regiment.

In India he found a field for the display of his military talents.

The origin of the Marhatta war has already been given under the article of Lord Lake.

The command of the advanced detachment of the troops marching in the spring of 1803 into the Marbatta territory, necessarily required the united exertion of military skill and of great political experience; and Lord Clive was of opinion that it could not be confided with equal prospects of advantage to any other person, than the Hon. Major-General Wellesley, whose extensive local knowledge, and personal influence among the Marhatta chieftains (acquired by his conduct in his command of Mysore, and by his victories over Doondiah and other refractory chiefs) were peculiarly calculated to insure success to the intended operations. Lord Clive accordingly desired that General Wellesley might be appointed to the command of the advanced detachment. The detachment consisted of one regiment of European, and three regiments of native cavalry, two regiments of European, and six battalions of native infantry, with a due proportion of artillery, amounting altogether to about 9707 men, and to this force was added 2500 of the Raiah of Mysore's horse.

Major General Wellesley commenced his march from Hurryhur on March 9th, and crossed the Tumbudra river on the 12th. The progress of the British troops through the Marhatta territories was most successful.

Jeswunt Rao Holkar had left Poonah sometime previous to this, and the native officers who commanded the corps which he had detached to the southward, retreated precipitately as General Wellesley advanced.

General Wellesley continued his march towards Poonah by the road of Baramooty. On April 19th, at night, he marched over a most rugged country and througb a difficult pass about fifty miles to Poonah, which city he reached at the head of the cavalry on the 20th, and was welcomed by the few inbabitants that remained as the deliverer of the city.

The subsequent attempts at negotiation have been already related in the preceding article of Lord Lake. In the ensuing crisis of affairs, it appeared to the Governor-General necessary to unite the control of all political affairs in the Dekan, connected with the negotiation then depending between the British government and the confederated chieftains, and with the movement of the army, under a distinct local authority, subject to the GovernorGeneral in council, but possessing full powers to conclude upon the spot whatever arrangements might become necessary either for the final settlement of peace, or for the active prosecution of war. The Governor General thought, that those important powers could not be placed with advantage in any other hands, than those of the general officer commanding the troops necessary to restore the tranquillity of the Dekan; and accordingly determined on the 26th of June, to vest them in Major-General Wellesley, whose established influence amongst the Marhatta chiefs, and intimate knowledge of the Governor-General's sentiments concerning the British interests in the Marhatta empire, were particularly calculated to enable that officer to execute the arduous task reposed in him, with the greatest benefit to the public interests. a

All negotiations having failed, the army under Major-General Wellesley was directed to the purpose of opposing the confe

• Notes on Marhatta War, p. 32.

derated force under the command of Scindiah, and the Raiah of the Berar. His troops consisted of 16,823 men, exclusive of which a force was left at Poonah, consisting of a detachment of the sixty-fourth regiment, and 1035 Sepoys. He received intelligence of the issue of the British resident's negotiation with Scindiah and the Raiah of Berar on the 6th of August, 1803, but was prevented from moving by a heavy fall of rain which lasted for three days, and which had rendered the road from Walkee to Ahmednuggur totally impassable. The weather cleared up how. ever on the 7th, and on the 8th he commenced bis march towards the fortress of Ahmedauggur, which after a gallant assault surrendered on the 12th.

On August 29th, Major-General Wellesley arrived at Aurungabad: when the enemy moved to the southward and eastward, with an intention, as it was reported, to cross the Godavery, and march upon Hyderabad : but the General's movement, in consequence, defeated their operations.

On September 21st, the two corps under the command of Major-General Wellesley and Colonel Stevenson, met at Budnapoor. The division under Major-General Wellesley marched to Paugy on the 22d of September, and on the 23d to Naulnair, at which place intelligence was received that the combined armies of Scindiah and the Rajah of Berar, were encamped at the distance of about six miles from the ground on which General Wellesley had intended to encamp.

General Wellesley immediately dutermined to attack the enemy, instead of waiting until the morning of the 24th, for the arrival of Colonel Stevenson. If General Wellesley had not adopted this judicious and spirited resolution, the enemy would probably have harassed him during the whole day of the 23d; and as he could afford no other security to the baggage of his army than the entrenchments which he might be enabled to construct, it must have been exposed to loss, if he had waited until the 24th ; at all events he would have been obliged to leave more than one battalion for the protection of the baggage. By attack ing on the 23d, the enemy would be kept in ignorance respecting the position of the baggage of our army; and in addition to these circumstances there was every reason to believe that the enemy would learn that Colonel Stevenson was on bis march to attack them on the 24th, in which case, it was extremely probable that they would withdraw their guns and infantry in the course of the night of the 23d, in order that they might avoid the combined

« ForrigeFortsett »